The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on seeding oats this year. We have always swathed when we had our JD 1820 seeder , but I traded seeders and now have a JD 1895. We never had any issues before because we were seeding a 4'' band on 10" spacing. Now I am wondering if we should seed at an angle to prevent the swath from falling thru the stubble. I am wondering if anyone has tried this with good results. Straight combining I don't think is an option.We use a Macdon 30 ft pulltype windrower. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one here has done it here, but does glyphosate work to desiscate oats to speed drydown for harvest?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
we dont spray them but they say it works good it dose for wheat so cant see why it wouldnt for oats
lotsa guys this year had mildew on there oats due to them been down for long time in the rain ours where standing and had no issue

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Whenever we grew oats we would dessicate them and straight cut. Would never swath them.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Do 'em straight if you can. Add me to the do not see any need to swath list. And this is from a guy who has never sprayed them to "even them up". Patience.

·
Registered
247 Posts
90% of the time we desicate oats & combine straight. Only time we swath is when keeping for seed. But have to watch if get rain oats will lay down & shell. Putting down potash & spraying fungicide helps with laying down.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Straight cutting oats is surprisingly easy to do. With swaths, often in a good crop you get tangled swaths that slug feed and act like a rope, so that when the combine lugs and you need to slow down the feeding often your pick-up header will pull in a lot of extra swath. With straight cutting, the feeding tends to be smoother and if your combine starts to lug down you can just slow the ground speed and the combine recovers and away you go again.

We combined some of our oats straight for the first time this year, it was a very positive experience even in lodged crop. We used vine lifters and I would suggest a draper header with a pick-up reel.
What combine/header do you have?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts