The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If you mean a cover for the hopper as it sits there on the ground ready to use rather than hooking onto it to crank it up to tilt it over, I am using a small rubberized tarp that has more weight/substance to it then a typical tarp would have and its 100% waterproof until something would cut it. For the most part it stays rather then blowing off if I tuck it under the hopper a bit. Also I have seen a seed coop make wooden covers for their units as they had no way of winching them up ( they were mounted to a roof track system ) and the cover consisted of a partial sheet of plywood that was fairly thin and then a wooden edging that may have been 2x4 which would weight it down enough to keep it from blowing off.

Flimsy cheep tarps have nothing to them and they will blow away unless strapped down somehow. Possibly boat shops would have this thicker rubbery material in bulk that custom make boat coverings

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Looking for a cover for a swing auger. Anything out there?
I use an old MacDon center canvas off a harvest draper header. It has some weight to it, and for the most part stays put. If I know there's a nasty storm coming I throw a couple wood blocks that I use as stopping bumpers for the truck wheels on top so it doesn't blow off. Cheap and effective.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I made a cover myself.2x4 for the long ends 2x6 for the short ends,cut down from the middle down to the height of the 2x4,steel rod from peak to peak and covered it with pucboard.and a handle on each side. Last forever,light weight and does not blow away.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will look for a quad tarp, sounds like a good idea. Just looking for something to put over the hopper when the augers set up or outside so I don't have to keep cleaning out the hopper every time there is rain in the forecast.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Princess Auto has poly tarps made out of a silver material that seem to hold up much better (so far) than the standard blue or orange ones. I can't remember the dimensions but it was the smallest they carried and it fits perfectly on our Farm Kings. Just winch it up, pull 3 tarp straps underneath and you're good. Quad tarp sounds like a good idea as well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks 9520. We used light wall tubing to build the frame and round bar to make the end hoops. We used fibreglass slats for the center hoops to keep the weight down. We painted everything afterwards and sent it to a local tarp dealer and had them make the cover for it. We are happy with the way it turned out and one person can still move it. :D Still heavy enough and fits snug enough around the rubber on top of the hopper that it shouldn't blow away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.