The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing this for several reasons. Bigger screen, allot more storage potential, way longer battery life, could probably get away without a case making it a little more manageable and the cover is dimpled so it doesn't squirt out of your hand like a smooth aluminum iPhone, cheaper and bigger then a 6 or 6+. Call and text indicator light and unique charger cord so my family and coworkers won't run off with them...

I guess the biggest question is the jump from IOS to Android, I had an HTS Desire for two weeks probably about four years ago and it was the biggest POS I'd ever tried but never really had a good chance to tryout the Android system because the hardware was such a disaster.

Any of you make the switch and are happy about it?

Any of you make the switch and regret it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I went from an I Phone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S4, couldn't be happier. No more proprietary charger crap. No more goofy locked down operating system, lots more flexibility with storage and folders within the phone. I would never go back to an I product.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
At first you will wonder why you did, but once you get used to the operating system you will love it, I went from a BB to a S4 my brother made the move from an IPhone to a note 2 & now a note 4 they are actually a very nice phone, I miss some of the things about my BB mostly email things but everything else makes up for it

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
I have a Motorola Moto X(1st gen), I love everything about it with possible exception being the reception which isn't as good as my Blackberry was. Hard to beat a Blackberry for reception! Not a very hard switch for the software, it was much different but easy to figure out. This is a durable phone with great battery and features.

I-phone is another example of form over function. An objective decision will likely lead to another phone, it did for me.;)

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made the switch from iPhone to BlackBerry and couldn't be happier. Not exactly the same thing but maybe similar.
I switched from Blackberry years ago, I have one sister that has been BB since day one, was kinda considering it but it's a little like a windows phone, not very popular these days. I also run some apps that are only available for IOS and Android.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I went from HTC to iPhone and i have samsung products at home..... the iPhone is the most useless POS i have ever used! Constant issues and bugs, at the moment no bluetooth or WiFi..... Apples response??? Buy a new 6!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
FJ Apple don't give 2 squirts about Australia!!! My closest Apple store 500KM away, just buy a new one is their standard answer to any problem!! JD and apple can have each other as far as i am concerned

·
Registered
184 Posts
Currently Using a BB Z30 which is same size as IPhone 6 . Has great battery life of 16-20 Hours. Has a great Browser built into it, Works as good as the home unit. When I use the kids IPhone 5S can't get over how small the screen is and how the battery only lasts 6-8 hours, I don't use many apps on the phone.

The email works great, the BB Hub to organize your stuff on the phone is good and the phone is much more sturdy. I bounced the screen off a cultivator bolt and dented the otter box screen one week after I bought it. I was sick, took the plastic wrap off the screen and all was well. Reception of the phone is also excellent in fringe areas. Travel lots with it into far away areas in the oilfield.

The phone sees some rough abuse and if I wanted a @#$%^ toy i'd buy an I phone that updates the O/S 2x a month. I Had a BB Bold 9700 which had more dents in it than a phone should have.

I have an Android tablet, don't like some of the quirky features on it. There are a lot of apps for the android but mostly geared to the urban folk.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I went from HTC to iPhone and i have samsung products at home..... the iPhone is the most useless POS i have ever used! Constant issues and bugs, at the moment no bluetooth or WiFi..... Apples response??? Buy a new 6!!
Mine is the same way. Pos and it's not even a hardware problem it's a software problem. It causes the wifi antenna to overheat and shuts it off. Now once a week I have to heat it up till the warning flashes and then throw it in the fridge to cool it off. Don't ever update software if your buying an I phone.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
OMG....you have to be joking...... :eek: You really are going to bash the software of the undisputed most stable software platform in the world?!? Man, I've never seen more people so dead-set against stuff than on this forum.... All of these major companies are switching to Apple because of their software and it's reliability, and you say don't upgrade the software?!?! You really should do some reading about the tech software world....
Jeeze man! Guys are posting their opinions! Just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them wrong, who has been hacked more than any other platforms??? Icloud and iTunes accounts! Stable my ass! Sometimes you need to pump the brakes a bit there FJ.......

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I know it's there opinion, feel free to share.....but listen, there are almost endless independent third parties that have shown time and time again that Apple is clearly the most secure and stable on the market. Your iTunes and iCould hacking facts are completely incorrect. Just google it, there not much argument to be made here on iOS stability and security. iOS is far from perfect but it's pretty high quality. You may not personally like it, but's it's pretty silly to make statements as fact when they are opinion at best. Hate Apple and love Android or BB, I don't care, but it really bugs me when people just spout misinformation about any product, including Apple. Just take a quick look from some very reputable sources:

Study takes a look at app stability on iOS and Android

Android vs. iOS Security | Why iOS is Safer than Android | Sophos Enterprise Mobile Control

SymantecVoice: Android vs. iOS: Which Is More Secure? - Forbes
Here's the thing, I don't give a **** about what some independent study finds, when my wife gets a nice little email that her apple account has been "compromised" and that she should take" precautions" and change all her passwords, info etc. and possibly cancel a credit card........ Then yes I have a ****ing problem with Apple! Blackberry has the most secure network hands down! The biggest reason everyone is changing to Apple is stability, BB is in trouble and like you or I nobody want to be stuck holding the ball on a bunch of phones with no support, Apple is the big kid in the room with all the cute girls around them so who do you think everyone is gonna gravitate to??? The bum in the corner with the drinking problem ?? (BB) the cool guy with all the chick's hanging around him (apple) or the pack of nerds that are quite complicated to understand but usually make alot of sense in the end (android) . I dumped my BB for just that reason, no support, even our provider isn't bringing in BB anymore.

Edit: yes the email was legit from Apple and not spam

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems your opinions are "almost" unanimous with the exception of FJ :rolleyes:.

I don't believe Apple operates the same around the world unless you have a special secret you would like to share with us FJ. Apple sure as **** ain't going to replace my iPhone 4S with with a 6+ free of charge (tried it and we are running anywhere from $265 to $600 plus a case) and upgrading iPhones to the latest IOS loads up the memory, slows them down and makes them far more buggy. I know and you can't return to the original OS or anything in between. This is one of the main reasons I'm considering switching away from them. I've tried them at the Apple store and I've noticed over the years they have tightened things up, before they used to throw you a new charger, cord or iPhone hardly a question asked, lately it's taken much longer, they check your account, they fiddle with the phone, offer suggestions and screw around enough you finally give up and walk out.

Ford is an interesting argument, isn't their Sync system windows based? I thought they got together with Microsoft to develop that. Companies like Ford and John Deere probably just throw out tenders and buy from the lowest bidder. Who knows, it might just be toys as rewards for employees and nothing to do with the businesses.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just google it....Ford fired Microsoft after SYNC is one of the most complained about features of there cars and Microsoft couldn't fix it after years. And there you have it replaced with the new Apple CarPlay.......
I don't know anything about Ford's problems with their in car gadgets but when I choose to get one your comments are duely noted and I know who to ask. But since I'm buying a smart phone and not a car...

As far as Apple "tightening" up repair rules.....since they now do many in-store repairs that they didn't used to do do, yes....they "fiddle" with your phone. Shocking huh, a company that can fix your device right in front of you and not make you send it in. Name a Samsung or BB seller than has an in-store repair service? None.
No, I drop into my local Telus store, they replace it or provide me with a loaner until it is repaired, the OEMs actually trust their dealers, not some nerds in a store a hundred miles from me. Give me a name and number please, I'd be so happy to find out I'm wrong. Maybe the Apple store I visit is a rogue store or something but they seem to refuse to give decent service to someone that isn't spending a thousand dollars on one of their products that day.

If unbiased facts cause you to swear on the internet and you refuse to reconsidered your position based on those facts.....well, then I guess nothing could ever be said to change your mind...true, false or otherwise. Awesome!
I started this thread with an unbiased question. You don't respect the opinions of others on this forum? I've also searched the web and visited a couple stores. I also have this question posted on a few other forums to see what others think, so far public opinion seems to be against you...

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyway, thanks for your input everybody (even your's FJ :rolleyes: ). I think I'll try an S5, they have a short guarantee period so if turns out to be a disaster I can switch it out and never question the wisdom of a certain individual on here again :D.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I switched from Samsung to Blackberry Z30 and couldn't be happier. The Blackberry 10 OS is a really good operating system especially compared to their previous stuff. you can load any android app plus it has all the blackberry apps as well.
I would strongly suggest you take a long look at the Blackberry 10's they are a great phone. The best one on the market IMO.

·
Registered
438 Posts
As I type this I'm updating my new Iphone. I am no fan of Apple. I don't like the a lot of things about their system. Have a Samsung Tablet and don't really love the android OS that much either. Had a Blackberry, liked the keyboard, hated the phone but this was in the infancy of "smartphones". Had a Iphone 3s, meh. Had a Iphone 4; it was better but went through 4 screens on account of them breaking, went to a 5 and it was ok but had charging issues and the battery would die and shut phone off if temp was under 7 degrees C; dangerous and frustrating in the Canadian climate. Just yesterday I hit the phone store up to see if I could get a new battery installed and they had a promo on where they bought my old phone back at what my contract buyout was. So basically I was free to buy whatever new phone I wanted. I looked across the spectrum and it seems every mfg has done the same thing with the new phones; made them into mini tablets. All phones from Iphone 6 to Samsung S5 to whatever have all gone to a huge screen size. I think these big screens would be awesome in another line of work, or just for general use, but as a farmer who is tough on phones, I don't feel these units are compact enough to comfortably fit in a guys pocket, are robust enough to stand up to the abuse I'm gonna put it through (have a lady friend who already had her new iphone 6 bend), and I find these new large phones are not comfortable to hold in one had (might be different if I had bigger mitts). So my options were quite limited based on the screen size I was after. I narrowed it down to the Iphone 5s and Samsung mini S4. I decided to go with the devil I know and stuck with the Iphone. I know how to navigate it, I know its limitations and they aren't all that terrible for how I use it, and it was easy to transfer all my info from the old phone to new one.

I highly recommend going to a store to play with all the phones, hold them in your hand, put them in your pocket, scroll through the icons, check out the app stores, etc. There is nothing you will use more than a phone, so it is an extremely important purchase. As others have mentioned you should have a 2 week window to return the unit if you don't like it.

One phone I didn't check out, and now I kind of wished I would have is the new Blackberry Passport. Not saying I would have got it, but it might be worth a look.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As I type this I'm updating my new Iphone. I am no fan of Apple. I don't like the a lot of things about their system. Have a Samsung Tablet and don't really love the android OS that much either. Had a Blackberry, liked the keyboard, hated the phone but this was in the infancy of "smartphones". Had a Iphone 3s, meh. Had a Iphone 4; it was better but went through 4 screens on account of them breaking, went to a 5 and it was ok but had charging issues and the battery would die and shut phone off if temp was under 7 degrees C; dangerous and frustrating in the Canadian climate. Just yesterday I hit the phone store up to see if I could get a new battery installed and they had a promo on where they bought my old phone back at what my contract buyout was. So basically I was free to buy whatever new phone I wanted. I looked across the spectrum and it seems every mfg has done the same thing with the new phones; made them into mini tablets. All phones from Iphone 6 to Samsung S5 to whatever have all gone to a huge screen size. I think these big screens would be awesome in another line of work, or just for general use, but as a farmer who is tough on phones, I don't feel these units are compact enough to comfortably fit in a guys pocket, are robust enough to stand up to the abuse I'm gonna put it through (have a lady friend who already had her new iphone 6 bend), and I find these new large phones are not comfortable to hold in one had (might be different if I had bigger mitts). So my options were quite limited based on the screen size I was after. I narrowed it down to the Iphone 5s and Samsung mini S4. I decided to go with the devil I know and stuck with the Iphone. I know how to navigate it, I know its limitations and they aren't all that terrible for how I use it, and it was easy to transfer all my info from the old phone to new one.

I highly recommend going to a store to play with all the phones, hold them in your hand, put them in your pocket, scroll through the icons, check out the app stores, etc. There is nothing you will use more than a phone, so it is an extremely important purchase. As others have mentioned you should have a 2 week window to return the unit if you don't like it.

One phone I didn't check out, and now I kind of wished I would have is the new Blackberry Passport. Not saying I would have got it, but it might be worth a look.
The Passport is huge. I agree that the in thing seems to be to carry a small windshield around with you and that is just awkward on the farm. Big screens are also more prone to break with rough use. That's why I went with a Q10. Comfortable size and a physical keypad.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
OMG....you have to be joking...... :eek: You really are going to bash the software of the undisputed most stable software platform in the world?!? Man, I've never seen more people so dead-set against stuff than on this forum.... All of these major companies are switching to Apple because of their software and it's reliability, and you say don't upgrade the software?!?! You really should do some reading about the tech software world....
Man I thought this guy bled JD green, But now I see It`s Green Apple:D

I do not own an I phone but have had an Samsung Android phone for some time and have had no issues. My daughter has the S4 and it has been a very good phone also, and she uses many more of it`s features than I do. If there were problems I would have been informed.;)
My next upgrade will be the S5 active.
You may have a bit of a learning curve but I think you will be happy with the android.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.