The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone regretted going from a CaseIH combine to a CR?

I have had 2388 then a 7120. Looking at CR8.90 My FD135 and pickup head would work. Several friends are suggesting its the way to go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welllll not quite the same.thing but we run a green s series and a 9070.
Despite the market flooding with used S series and them coming in at pretty reasonable prices.. we will never ever ever ever ever ever ( get the point) go back to a a single rotor machine. They are incredibly inefficient. At the end of day we do nearly the same acres with 30% more fuel burn on the deere and we know damn well that its very easy to throw grain over with the green. And yes.. we know how to set our machines! There is a reason why deere came out with a twin rotor rig in the x9.
That being said .....
Everything about the deere is nicer. It doesnt matter if you bleed green...blue..yellow...silver..
The deere gps.. monitor..cab..etc is top notch and at the end of the day.... dealer support is key. If u are 5 hrs from a yellow dealer and 30 mins from a deere...that probably weighs on your decision!
The new holland have some minor little niggling things that are more so annoying than anything ( i dont like the hydro handle...etc) but for clean sample, fuel burn .. basically EVERYTHING a combine is supposed to do ...is better and cheaper..and more efficient with the yellow machine...
And i can safely say thats the same for yellow vs red. Its really not a design flaw its just efficiency and physics of 2 vs 1.

Switching from red to yellow though would be an easy swap as you arw already uses to cab... gps... monitor... dealer support.. etc.

But again

Parts and support generall reign supreme .

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I see plenty green fields in the fall from NH, Class, green, and red machines around here. How green the field is depends more on when they do their field work (and fall irrigate or rain after working the field) than the color of the machine. Guys that do very little field work never have green fields, at least around here.

That said I completely believe the NH twin rotor has less rotor loss than Case single rotors. The smaller rotors spin faster and separate better. Shaker and Sieves are identical, although the NH uses a different fan design. I believe NH's grain pan is different than Case too. Does NH's twin rethresher design work any better than red and green re-threshers?

·
Registered
33 Posts
We run or cr970 and their really isn’t anything about it that we hate. It’s just a solid machine. The only thing that ever has really given us trouble is the PSD which can plug up sometimes but other than that we really like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2012 was the first year of rock traps for new holland. I had 4 and they were garbage. No matter the speed u threw over 3 to 4 bpa in canola. Went to case ih in 2014, good combines but suck in tough straw and whene sun goes down. Went back to cr8.9 in 2016 and run 7 of them along with a fendt. New holland are pretty darn good but every combine has its perks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Even with the rock trap on the flagship Case we still put a fair amount of rocks through the machine cutting lentils. There’s some damage at times, either chopper blades or veins but haven’t ever been down more than a day. From what I’ve heard the twin rotor aren’t as forgiving and that’s been a big reason I haven’t looked too close at them. Plus I can unplug a wad of green straw lentils or kochia without leaving my seat. Not sure what a twin rotor is like to unplug but I’d want to know before I bought one.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rethresher on CRs actually would do something. The rethresher on Case does nothing but plug.

People tell me the twin rotors are damn near impossible to plug.

I’m thinking of growing some mustard. Sieve loss in small seeded crops was a problem as grain isn’t spread out over the sieve as much as two rotors.

Fuel use should be less as belts are more efficient than hydraulics.

Air cleaner and rads shouldn’t plug as much as straw is thrown back not to the sides.

Chopper blades won‘t cause too much trouble as they’re not below engine.

Yes controls are goofy, side panels are silly but grain in the tank and less fuel more capacity is what I’m after. Dealer service isn’t a huge deal as I’m decent at fixing stuff Myself.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I talk to many owners of combines all over the country and sometimes the world. All have both good and bad points. I will say that one key feature stands out: Dealer service. If you have access to a good dealer with good service.....any machine is going to better than one with no service support. Always something to remember when thinking about changing makes.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I talk to many owners of combines all over the country and sometimes the world. All have both good and bad points. I will say that one key feature stands out: Dealer service. If you have access to a good dealer with good service.....any machine is going to better than one with no service support. Always something to remember when thinking about changing makes.
For sure, buddy had a Claas combine before they became cool. He was waiting for parts from time to time but the straw that broke the camels back was the lack of replacement engine wiring harness. Cat wouldn’t make one and Claas didn’t have any. All the fuel and grain savings don’t add up if the combine is dead in the water. Nice thing about Red/yellow is a lot of the parts cross over between the two. Way less problematic as Deere in either color.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts