The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Nice thing about Red/yellow is a lot of the parts cross over between the two. Way less problematic as Deere in either color.
So exactly what is so problematic with Deere? They have 60 something percent market share in Western Canada I believe. Every combine has weak points and wear items and dealer support and service should be first thing on list to look for.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
So exactly what is so problematic with Deere? They have 60 something percent market share in Western Canada I believe. Every combine has weak points and wear items and dealer support and service should be first thing on list to look for.
In our area the problem with them is they can’t save grain and have any kind of capacity and they can’t chop straw.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,974 Posts
The CR returns can’t really thrash much. They will jam easy if you have the spiked doors in, usually by green stuff. But I have found with good rotor bars and concaves they are usually pretty good for white heads.
The returns system is really really good for even distribution of returns back to the sieves, unlike that piece of garbage on the red ones.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
In our area the problem with them is they can’t save grain and have any kind of capacity and they can’t chop straw.
Maybe that’s true on older deeres. But from 2015 and newer they are extremely good for grain loss and chopping. Regular power cast is kinda bad in heavy or wet straw.

Nothing can be as painful as a Case in Canola unless you like driving slower than a turtle.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Also the NH and Case combines share a lot of common part numbers, so if you have one color dealer closer by, you can get parts there.
Everything comes from regina anyway, red and yellow dealers have been happy to order parts for the other color even if they dont cross over for me.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The big problem is the 13.5L engine. Bad injectors, bad wiring harnesses, bad turbos, VGT, EGR and DPF to fail. Rethresher issues. Its thirsty as well.

Extensive dealer network is the strong point. Good integrated GPS is another.

Hopefully new 13.6L is less problematic and X9 is better on fuel.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The big problem is the 13.5L engine. Bad injectors, bad wiring harnesses, bad turbos, VGT, EGR and DPF to fail. Rethresher issues. Its thirsty as well.

13.5 is a good engine if you do the maintenance. There very little trouble till they cross 1500-2000hr. CNH has there own engine issues too. Maintenance is key. Deeres weak point is engines. CNH weak point is wear items. (cones, drives and choppers)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
13.5 is a good engine if you do the maintenance. There very little trouble till they cross 1500-2000hr. CNH has there own engine issues too. Maintenance is key. Deeres weak point is engines. CNH weak point is wear items. (cones, drives and choppers)
Maintenance doesn’t help with poor design. Having to buy 12 injectors to find 6 good ones is problematic.

CNH can have injector and wiring harness failures as well but not as frequent of failures.

All machines are not perfect. Where the OEM falls short often the aftermarket steps up to make AR liners and better quality augers and such.

·
Registered
30 Posts
And if u really want to get them dialed right in for very fussy people u order Skayman concaves built by Murray Skayman who has been all over the world setting combines and worked along side big box dealers. He will put a full cage in and 10 min change to run different concaves for different crops. He now builds Deere ones also. Then it’s not 6 hours it’s 10 minutes and u can switch your concaves out.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Maybe that’s true on older deeres. But from 2015 and newer they are extremely good for grain loss and chopping. Regular power cast is kinda bad in heavy or wet straw.

Nothing can be as painful as a Case in Canola unless you like driving slower than a turtle.
Not sure what you consider extremely good for grain Loss but most guys who run newer deere don’t go over 4mph in any crop. And the choppers aren’t much better in our straw and conditions.
Yes case is terrible in canola. I’ve never run a case and there isn’t many left in the area.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Not sure why anyone would buy 12 injectors to get 6 good ones. I believe CNH and Deere have same warranty now on parts and labour which is 2 years on anything they sell and install. It’s actually cheap insurance to use dealer service on some stuff now

·
Registered
615 Posts

since this thread is already off the rails, I’ll chime in. I agree with everything you listed but the DPF. While it may be stupid they have been reliable in combines and tractors that don’t idle much. Every 2500 hours you take it off yourself and bring it to whatever chain truck dealer (kenworth for example) and have them clean it then reinstall. Nuisance maybe, but injectors, egr, and turbos cause way more downtime.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yellow and red are pretty interchangable. I think yellow is a better small grain combine. Red has better service and parts(usually)

We use Deere for our header parts as they actually pick up the phone after-hours and later into the season.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not sure why anyone would buy 12 injectors to get 6 good ones. I believe CNH and Deere have same warranty now on parts and labour which is 2 years on anything they sell and install. It’s actually cheap insurance to use dealer service on some stuff now
One buys six but 2 fail right away then the other 4 fail after a few hours of run time. Or one replaces bad after bad until you get good. I’m not sure why but it seems to be the norm.

The DPF may not be the problem but the associated sensors and complication from them does. New Tier 5 CNH now does a regeneration.

I apologize for getting off the rails to 8850. Citing misgivings of JD equipment isn’t allowed? I run old Deere 4240, 4450, and 9320. Newer Deere doesn‘t have the advantage over other brands of equipment like they enjoyed for many years.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not sure what you consider extremely good for grain Loss but most guys who run newer deere don’t go over 4mph in any crop. And the choppers aren’t much better in our straw and conditions.
Yes case is terrible in canola. I’ve never run a case and there isn’t many left in the area.
I came from a 2018 s790 deere to a 760tt lex. Grain savings and productivity in our yields and crops is not even in the same stratosphere. We had over 140 deere combines before a yellow showed up so you could say know a thing or two about deere. At times they can be close in performance but those times are few amd far between and only happen when ideal conditions dreamer themselves for deere while it’s worse conditions for Lexion. Lexion still wins at its worst over Deere’s best. Now when things are tough for deere Forget about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After about 1500 hours it seems like they don't much like to work past the supper. Something is always breaks. Maybe all the other colors are like that too. They are excellent threshers. Stay away from their asp stone trap if you got stones.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My Cr970 is at 2700 sep hours and I average less then 5 hours of down time per year. Hasnt seen a dealer since 2012. Half of that has been from the goodyear tires the last 2 years. They all have some quirks just gotta know what to look for. Asp has worked well for me, not that I prefer it but hasnt really been an issue.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts