The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just wondering who’s all grown synergy barley and how well it had done. Never grown a malt barley. Just looking for a little info on it. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've heard it's a good barley, but the agreement you sign when you buy the seed doesn't allow you to keep seed to grow for more than 1 year, or something similar.

I was considering for feed variety, but apparently can't keep for feed seed either? I'm sure someone here has more details on that.

Won't be in my rotation if I can't keep seed, unless the yield difference can justify.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Here is reference to saving seed
https://www.syngenta.ca/stewardship_agreement

For Synergy it seems you can save as much next year as you purchased initially. So if you bought 500bu and planned to quadruple your acres next year by saving 2000 bu then you would be in violation of the contract.

Personally, with all this talk of Plant Breeders Rights I never even looked at Synergy. Sure, its the latest buzzword and I can perhaps get 10% better yield and the possible lower protein would be nice but even their own data doesn't give assurance of the protein side of things. Not worth it in my mind. I can vote with my decisions on what I think of being forced to throw away my rights regarding ownership of what I grow.

https://www.syngenta.ca/Productsdetail/AAC-Synergy

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had Synergy for 4 years now. Good yield, always made malt, and love the straw. Makes around 3 bales an acre behind a CIH combine. Had it in gravel hills and great better than traditon. Didn't have good luck with it in the sand though. It dried out and the test weight went way up

·
Registered
480 Posts
Market is growing for it.Talked with Great Western rep, they use Metcalfe and copeland blend now, now adding Synergy also..
Smaller brewing companies are using it also...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts