The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second day combining wheat with 2388 and 30 foot draper head. When I get into heavier patches of wheat I have trouble with the tailings monitor going off. Engine RPM's are in the 2370-80 range so I have the power to go faster but the tailings are slowing me up. Have the concaves around 1, rotor RPM at 1050 loaded, fan at 1150 loaded, chaffer at 8 and sieve at 6 on the outside adjustments. Machine has an AFX rotor and the front 2 concaves are small wire and the third one is a small wire with every other wire pulled, smooth grates.Travelling 3-3.5 mph most of the time and the wheat is yielding over 100 bu/ac. Lots of straw also to go into the machine. Have been spreading the straw and noticing that the right side of the spread pattern seems to have about 2/3 of the straw and the left side 1/3. Does this have anything to do with the crop coming out of the rotor and possible overloading of the sieves on one side? Any suggestions are welcomed. TIA

MX110

·
Registered
14 Posts
Open that bottom sieve up!!!!
Start from all open and go down not the other way around.
U will get a lot of junk in the tank this way but it's better to do it like this.
I think your setting is will be around 12.

Set u'r grain loss monitor on medium size kernels and sensetivety 5-6.
Light 3 and 4 are the rotor loss sensors. #4 is on the righthand side and this is the same side where the return dumps in. If light #4 is flashing alot u usally have to much return.
The Aixial Flow is a great combine but one of the weak spots is running too much return. The return run right up the right hand side and out the back.
Also i find looking at the lights to be a better indicator of too much return than the return monitor. I allways run with the factory setting and if it shows any return at all I open the bottom sieve at bit more.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree with twinflow on the bottom sieve. You never said what sieve you have in the bottom 1-1/8 or 1-5/8?
Sounds like your rotor speed is too high and too tight on the concave (creates more chaff load on sieves). Been running 30" dia rotor at 850-900rpm with concave at 2 and had to set the lower sieve(1-1/8) alot more open this year than normal. Tailings running at near zero and the sample is 0.1-0.2 dockage. Grain scan set at 7 for sensitivity and losses under 1%. Wheat also running well over 100 bu/acre average and the straw is very tough (green) in places this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts