The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not started cutting this year yet, but in the past it seems like it would be mostly chaff and broken straw. I adjust the wind according to how the grain looks in the tank and the sample at the elevator. Just wondering what amount of material is normal to be returned through the tailings elevator, I cannot recall reading much about the tailings return inspection window in the owners manual. Thanks for your reply

· Registered
439 Posts
Its a good little toss every time one of the paddles comes around. Also if you are missing a paddle it makes the next one twice as big. More than a handful is normal for us. If you think its to much then you can close down the back part of the chaffer which mainly goes to the return. It seems to me that on L Gleaners there is a fine line between a great sample and throwing to much out the back(the long shoe on L2's helps. Having a little grain in the return and chaff is pretty good. Some times you might get a 1% dock for chaff but if that means you got more wheat so its worth it. Make sure that you arnt throwing out to much grain. I think ours it set with the chaffer wide open and the fan choke on almost 5.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice. I checked the material in the inspection window and found it to be chaff and quite a bit of grain. Had chaffer ,sieve, and air set by the book but could feel .alotof grain in the airstream with fan at 6 or 7 (as book reccomends) cut a load with fan at 5, anxious to see what the dockage will be, I still feel that quite a bit of grain is getting blown out the back air at 3 or 4 seems to be better but sample is not near as clean.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for your advice. The chaffer in my L2 collapsed due to metal fatigue in the front of the shoe. I am replacing it with one being shipped from Mike's Equipment in a couple of days. I believe that was part of my problem with excessive tailings as material was falling straight down it to lower tailings auger. Also replacing with short finger chaffer (had long finger previously). maybe this will help clean up sample with lower choke setting. Will see when new part arrives. Too wet now anyway had 4.5 inch rain Fri night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.