The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the harvest is terrible and the prices suck. I go to get some Glyphosate and get told it's time to book canola for next yr. Really I said? I know the people telling me this, so I am frank, but polite, No thanks I said. Not interested. "but you get a rebate and a cent off your NH3 /lb if you book now" is the next line. I had to grit my teeth and leave as I know they are just doing their job. I remember when this book in advance BS started. It was Xmas time and Monsanto and Bayer wanted their shareholders to be real happy and started this. They fed you all kinds of BS that this will keep our prices lower by not over treating seed and seeing which varieties are of interest etc. I personally have not seen any cheaper seed have you? This carrot they dangle in front of your face is BS and we all know it! Why do we all fall for this crap. Last yr I said no and the yr before. I walked into the seed shed and picked what I wanted, for the same price as prebought people got it for, because they had extra and wanted it gone. If we all said no to canola purchases now do you think they would get the hint?? I do!!! If we all said no until just before seeding what do you think seed prices would do?? Sure as **** wouldn't sky rocket and they would be scrambling to get your business. Just my thoughts but what do I know. Farmers are a strong voice all together but a just another sheep for slaughter on their own.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I've said that all along too. Tired of hearing the line "book now, as there is going to be a shortage next year and you might not get your seed" Even a few years ago they were saying that, then half of western Canada froze and had to reseed. Not one person I know of was turned away for seed. The amount of money they make off that seed, they would haul it on Yuan Valdez's mule to get it to you if they had to. We don't prebook much of anything, and we get the same price in the spring as we would have in the fall, less the interest we would have paid on top of it. On a farm our size, the few cents here and there don't add up to much anyways, and leaves us free to deal where we want to if things change. I have found companies are more eager to get your business if you don't commit to them. Only haul canola to elevators, no contracts, never have trouble getting it out because if they don't take, we go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
They would keep the seed in the warehouse create a shortage and jack up the prices when everybody wanted it a week before seeding.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
As a general rule I don't have a problem booking seed ahead of the season to ensure supply, but I make it well known that there is no point in even asking until harvest is finished and trial results can be calculated.

Should be a rule that they aren't allowed to sell anything for next year until they hand over the rebate check from last year!

·
Registered
681 Posts
As a general rule I don't have a problem booking seed ahead of the season to ensure supply, but I make it well known that there is no point in even asking until harvest is finished and trial results can be calculated.

Should be a rule that they aren't allowed to sell anything for next year until they hand over the rebate check from last year!
X2

·
Registered
942 Posts
I probably will book some. Not sure if I will grow any next. Will see how much moisture comes before May. Not wanting to spend a lot for only 2 inches of rain during the growing season

·
Registered
358 Posts
I will book some, always do, but later as well. Just won't be Invigor....

BASF and the Invigor seed line will be sold by the seed for 2020. Hooray, another way to gouge me and get another 15% on top of their increases for 2020. "All for the benefit of the farmer"

Been through this rant before......

·
Registered
386 Posts

BASF and the Invigor seed line will be sold by the seed for 2020. Hooray, another way to gouge me and get another 15% on top of their increases for 2020. "All for the benefit of the farmer"

I don't like the ideal one bit of buying a bag of canola seed having a pre set seeding rate determined by basf. Yeah I know 2 lbs an acre may give a crop but when you have non ideal conditions its sure is nice to have a 4.8 lb per acre seeding rate. I also think Its bad timing for basf to bring in increased canola seed costs during the trade war. Seeding 4.5 lbs per acre just got a whole lot more expensive. In no panic to book!

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Do you guys know what the seed cost is already for Invigor, and that it's going up? What will be the Liberty resistant shatter tolerant replacement for Invigor? I have a trial with the new Corteva/Brevant variety but the cutworms chewed on it and I fear I won't get good results. It did get a bit of hail a couple days ago to test pod shatter tolerance but can't get to field now because of mud...:frown:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
So the harvest is terrible and the prices suck. I go to get some Glyphosate and get told it's time to book canola for next yr. Really I said? I know the people telling me this, so I am frank, but polite, No thanks I said. Not interested.
Up to here everything seems to be as it should. They offered, you declined.

"but you get a rebate and a cent off your NH3 /lb if you book now" is the next line. I had to grit my teeth and leave as I know they are just doing their job.
I don't understand why this addition to the offer would make you "grit your teeth". Where you upset that they didn't add this initially but only after you declined?.

I remember when this book in advance BS started. It was Xmas time and Monsanto and Bayer wanted their shareholders to be real happy and started this. They fed you all kinds of BS that this will keep our prices lower by not over treating seed and seeing which varieties are of interest etc. I personally have not seen any cheaper seed have you? This carrot they dangle in front of your face is BS and we all know it! Why do we all fall for this crap. Last yr I said no and the yr before. I walked into the seed shed and picked what I wanted, for the same price as prebought people got it for, because they had extra and wanted it gone. If we all said no to canola purchases now do you think they would get the hint?? I do!!! If we all said no until just before seeding what do you think seed prices would do?? Sure as **** wouldn't sky rocket and they would be scrambling to get your business. Just my thoughts but what do I know. Farmers are a strong voice all together but a just another sheep for slaughter on their own.
This is the part that I really don't follow. If I am reading this right, you think the pre-buy offers are BS and you don't participate in them for that reason. If that is correct, then what is all the fuss about?. You go on to say that it's all BS and that you have not participated in these pre buys and that you have not suffered any higher prices as a result but then say " Why do WE fall for this crap". It sounds to me like you aren't. What am I missing??

·
Registered
942 Posts
Up to here everything seems to be as it should. They offered, you declined.

I don't understand why this addition to the offer would make you "grit your teeth". Where you upset that they didn't add this initially but only after you declined?.

This is the part that I really don't follow. If I am reading this right, you think the pre-buy offers are BS and you don't participate in them for that reason. If that is correct, then what is all the fuss about?. You go on to say that it's all BS and that you have not participated in these pre buys and that you have not suffered any higher prices as a result but then say " Why do WE fall for this crap". It sounds to me like you aren't. What am I missing??
It’s hard booking new crop inputs when old crop bills are still on the table

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
Licensed to kill when you spend $600 plus per bushel for canola seed out of your own pocket it is hard to have a positive attitude towards these companies. These companies are only interested in their bottom line and not the farmers. With the crop that is coming off and the low commodity prices farmers will have a hard time to buy seed and pay bills. Why don't these companies have a heart and drop their price to help in difficult times. Instead they want you book and in some cases put out money months in advance. We need some non patent liberty and round up readying canola seed varieties available for farmers so farmers can keep their own seed and not be held hostage.

·
Registered
202 Posts
there are cheaper seeds available but farmers dont like how they yield like crap so that is why the top yielders are top dollar. $/acre sometimes you gotta spend the big bucks in order to stay in business even at $10 canola couple bushels make a big difference on the bottom line even if seed is more money. lucky to be in an area where we can grow good yields on no rain but having same issues with soybeans here just not making sense to grow even if it did well historically.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It’s hard booking new crop inputs when old crop bills are still on the table
Licensed to kill when you spend $600 plus per bushel for canola seed out of your own pocket it is hard to have a positive attitude towards these companies. These companies are only interested in their bottom line and not the farmers. With the crop that is coming off and the low commodity prices farmers will have a hard time to buy seed and pay bills. Why don't these companies have a heart and drop their price to help in difficult times. Instead they want you book and in some cases put out money months in advance. We need some non patent liberty and round up readying canola seed varieties available for farmers so farmers can keep their own seed and not be held hostage.
I get all that but it only an OFFER. From my understanding they are not saying that they won't sell to you later on or in any other way trying to FORCE anyone to buy now. THAT would certainly be a different story. However, you've raised a few more questions for me
"These companies are only interested in their bottom line and not the farmers" - How does this differ from the farmers interests? Do you care about THEIR bottom line or your own?

"Why don't these companies have a heart and drop their price to help in difficult times." - How is it someone else responsibility to "help in difficult times"?. If the seed companies run into difficulties will you offer to pay more to help them out?. Here's abetter question, "why don't farmers just pay the tax that is due when they have a good year and either pay down debt or save for when things get difficult (which they ALWAYS will eventually) rather than spending the profits on shiney machinery that they don't need just to reduce or eliminate their tax obligation??. Or how about this, if you are a farmer that has bought land in the last 5 or 6 years KNOWING that at the price paid that land will NEVER pay for itself sell some to get through the 'difficult times"?. After all, most that have paid these ridiculous prices say that it's all OK because it makes money just on inflation. So, cash in that inflation to help through the "difficult times". I'm not picking on you southern SK , just that your statements struck a bit of a nerve because while my response may or may not be relevant to you specifically I KNOW it fits many farmers. Too many farmer act more like the grasshopper and less like the ant. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I KNOW there are farmers that DON'T buy over priced land and DON'T buy new equipment just to reduce their taxable position in good years and are still struggling in todays environment. My comments are obviously not referring to them and my comments are in no way suggesting that there is not a cause for concern just that at the end of the day we are ALL responsible for the decisions we make and either reap the benefits or suffer the consequences of those decisions. Farming is cyclical, always has been always will be. There will be good years and bad years. IMO, the secret to longevity is what you do in the good years to prepare yourself for the inevitable bad.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
As much as I don’t like paying for overpriced seed it is my choice to do so.

Our retailer likes us to book soon but we don’t pay till we take delivery in mid April. And we can cancel and change it at any time.

·
Registered
645 Posts

Do you have idea that most farms are seeding by 1000 kernel weights and when seed is 6-7g per 1000 where totally screwed when seed isn’t sold by the 1000 kernel weight

And I’m not looking for a discussion on how some of you can cut seeding rates with your new Hawk-placement master-or PH master

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ill admit i do get a bit disgruntled when they phone while im on the combine, but with this new upov 91 can we now save our own seed and use it?? Or has it not passed yet? Also how many guys here buy shares in bayer or whichever company you think is gouging? If you dont like the price they are charging some shares in the company would make it easier to stomach the price.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts