The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a choice between leaving the truck frame alone and putting a 22ft box on it or shortening it for a 20. It will mostly be used from the field to bin and the odd trip to the seed cleaning plant. I was trying to think of other uses a 22ft box may come in handy and for resale in 10 yrs when I quit any thoughts

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Measurements like wheelbase, back of cab to center of axles and other factors such as front axle location ect, determine what box and where on the frame it should be mounted for best weight distribution so you can legally carry the most amount of weight. Need way more info before one can give you an answer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it has the right wheel base from cab to trunion to handle a 22 ft box. im just interested what other farmers would do if they had the choice and if theres any advantage going 22 ft ,you will never be able to run it down highway legal

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I say if it fits go with the bigger box just like grain trailers, learn how to load it. If two heaps takes you to legal then you've saved moving your truck and if you need to haul something light you have the room. Plus you save the money and time to shorten the frame, just make sure you have proper balance and room to dump.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We were in a similar situation. We had a ford L800 that motor and electronics were toast, so we searched around for a new truck and found a 96 Western star with a 24' frame. The ford had a 20" box. Instead of buying a new box, we just swapped the old one over. Now theres 4 feet of room behind the cab, but it's perfectly fine. We're thinking of putting maybe a tidy tank or tool box back there or something. Obviously a 24' box would have been ideal, but we're not complaining. The ford had been immobile for years!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.