The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody navigated the requirements for setting up your own shooting range on the farm? I'm wanting to be able to target shoot with a handgun on my own farm in Alberta but haven't been able to find much current info as to the requirements.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I do it, I'm intending to do it legal. It would be nice to not have to drive 45 miles in from nowhere just to go to someone else' range. I've heard it can be done and I'm just wondering how.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good find but that info seems to be for clubs ect. Definitely not wanting to go public or membership.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Years back when I took my FAC course, the instructor told us, if you want to have a handgun on your property, make sure you have a long gun the same caliber too. Insurance measure.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don’t really get why it’s illegal to discharge a restricted firearm on private property, pistols anyway, not sure if there’s any long rifles that are restricted in Canada besides auto AR type rifles.
An errant bullet from my 300 mag rifle is way more dangerous than one from my 9 mm pistol.
The effective killing range (for lack of a better word) is way less with a pistol.

Going by last post I can explain myself. I have a 22 revolver and several 22 rifles. Is there any other caliber these days that’s in both firearms?

Someone around here has been shooting cans and targets for years on his property with hand guns.... i think but I’m not sure, just speculating. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
We are quite remote. Always just shot in the yard but since the oil wells have started and operators are wandering around I don't like doing it anymore.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mags they’re making rifles in 9 mm now I learned at the gun shop
Not sure what the selling point of that would be.... They also make a .17 pistol now which I didn’t know about until the other day. Not sure the purpose of that either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I almost bought one for a large varmint gun. 100 effective yards. Cheaper to shoot than many centerfire rifles

·
Registered
385 Posts
.223 has gotten cheaper lately, on a good sale it can be had for 0.32 a round. hardly a point in anything between 22lr and .223 at this point. 22wmr is more expensive per round then it. 7.62x39 is still cheaper but unless im planning to shoot 300+rds in an afternoon its hardly worth cleaning the corrosive off.

pretty much any pistol round can be had in a pistol caliber carbine nowadays. 22lr,9mm, 357, 40, 10mm, 45

1 - 20 of 20 Posts