The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small tear in my Tandem Truck Tarp, and my idea is to stitch it up and then glue and a patch on top to seal it, what kind of Glue should I use and where would I find it ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Honestly only one way to fix it right so it don't end up ruining your tarp...just take it off and into somewhere like for example, Edmonton Tent and Awning...I'm sure someone similar out there is Saskatchewan somewhere.

They will fix it right and for a lot less then you would think....least that's what I would do;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Most places won't have to take it off. They have portable irons and can fix it right on the truck. The patch will peel off after a while, but I will last a couple of years. I've never had any luck glueing patches on

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
A number of years ago we had replaced a tarp on a tandem and it wasn't long after that when it decided to hop over the tarp holders and they punched holes into the tarp as the wind and rough road had caught it ( its a bad design ). So because the tarp was not weathered I am sure that helped it adhere glue and the same type tarp material onto those holes and all we did with the ripped hanging section is lay it back in place before gluing. I believe its a Midland tarp so we got glue and material from them. I won't claim this is the best way to repair a tarp as I am sure at a manufacture and repair location they can do better. Still though its been 10 or more years and those patches are still there.

I would have my reservations with hand sewing the loose section into place rather then it being able to bond completely without voids to the patch and become "one" in the process. I'd take Albertabucks suggestion and see if you can start by talking to a repair company in your area and see if their product could be used yourself or taken to them to do the repair properly.

As per Kyle's comment in patches not holding, I am sure if your tarp is older and getting weathered rather then having that new rubbery feel to the surface, it could be an exercise in futility then. If you happen to know the brand of your tarp, call up the manufacturer and get the straight goods right from them in how they would repair it.

·
Premium Member
5,490 Posts
There is special tarp glue that is used that works well. The tarp has to be clean before you glue it. I will sometimes use paint thinner to clean it. You brush the glue on both surfaces and let it dry before you put them together. This is what the professionals use and it lasts for a long time. It is easy and cheap to do. You just need to get the right glue and some pieces of scrap tarp material to patch with. I wish I knew the number of the glue. I know our New Holland dealer sells it and it is sold by many different suppliers. It is a white can with green letters on it if I remember right.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Contact cement, just make sure the surfaces are clean and dry, like someone else said paint thinner with a scotch brite pad, clean, dry and apply a coat of clue to both pieces let dry for half hour and stick together. Did one about two years ago and still holding!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Tarp Glue as mentioned has to be clean, radius all corners, glue on both sides, needs to get real tacky, install and use a heat gun to warm patch, tarp needs to be warm, Scott.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I used a tarp repair kit in the past to repair holes caused from tarp blowing over the tarp stops. It came with the glue and some tarp material. I put a number of patches on my tarp and none of them ever came loose and some of them were on for well over 10 years when I sold that truck. Maybe the long life of the tarp and patches was due to the truck being stored inside.
As mentioned above make sure you clean the surfaces to be repaired and also cut the patch with rounded corners rather than sharp square corners.
I would not sew the hole as the I think it is better if the patch has a flat surface to bond to.
I was amazed how well the tarp patch kit worked and how long it lasted.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
The repair that I was suggesting is they sew a patch on both sides and then seal it. Will outlast the rest of the tarp. Thus why it needs to be taken off and taken in to a shop. Still very reasonable cost wise.

Cheaper the repair, less quality of job...your choice;)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Had an auger blow over onto the tarp a few years ago. Used a heat gun with some extra tarp material, put a board underneath for a base and just lightly melted the new tarp material together with a narrow roller. The tarp is now worn out but those repairs are still holding perfectly.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have heard PVC pipe glue for patching.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Canada tarpaulin has glue and thinner you can use as cleaner. They will probably give you some scraps you can use as patches. Put a board under it and a roller to get good contact and it will last as long as the tarp
Not hard to do.
They are on 51st street in stoon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is special tarp glue that is used that works well. The tarp has to be clean before you glue it. I will sometimes use paint thinner to clean it. You brush the glue on both surfaces and let it dry before you put them together. This is what the professionals use and it lasts for a long time. It is easy and cheap to do. You just need to get the right glue and some pieces of scrap tarp material to patch with. I wish I knew the number of the glue. I know our New Holland dealer sells it and it is sold by many different suppliers. It is a white can with green letters on it if I remember right.
The glue is HH-66

1 - 16 of 16 Posts