The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Morris 7300 TBT and five years ago I broke a spindle. Luckily it was level and I was just turning a corner so it was no big deal.

The other day I was turning on a sidehill just 500' after I loaded and the other spindle broke. It was the downhill side and the axle tube punched a hole in the rim. Luckily it went flat slowly and the tandem was nearby and I was able to run and grab it to use as an anchor on the uphill side to keep the cart from rolling.

Anyways I have a new spindle ordered just to get rolling in the mean time. It's only a 3" spindle so I'm probably going to put a heavier spindle and hub on this winter.

Do other makes have these kind of issues?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have a Flexicoil sprayer that did the same thing. One of our only hills, in a sharp corner of the field, soft rough ground, I was trying to back the sprayer into the point, but the sprayer ended up being wider than the field at that point, and got tangled with some trees, I was concentrating on that, working back and forth, while the sprayer kept working down hill instead when one side broke(far side), and somehow before I realized what had happened, I had broken the other side. Both tanks right full of water. Words were said.

Replaced with original size, but am much more careful in tight places.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lots of tow between flexi's around here have been totaled by breaking one or both sides. Lots of stress on those wheels especially if you have hills.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Lots of tow between flexi's around here have been totaled by breaking one or both sides. Lots of stress on those wheels especially if you have hills.
Which models of flexicoil are breaking? Is my 3450 with duals a candidate? I suppose the duals would take much of the stress off on a hillside, but add stress in rough ground or deep mud.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Which models of flexicoil are breaking? Is my 3450 with duals a candidate? I suppose the duals would take much of the stress off on a hillside, but add stress in rough ground or deep mud.
We have a P1060 (same as a 4350), have never broken one and we have crazy big steep hills. But I have to go now and check them...lol

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nah I'm talking the older metal tank ones. Forget the numbers 2320?

When doing sidehills the drill "drifting" down the hill is hard on things.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
If you turn corners with them in the ground it side loads the spindles with all the force between the tractor and implement. I have seen the spindles break before when a person farms this way, over time. It can happen with TBT. Something to watch for when doing service on them. Many people farm headland and pull the implement out of the ground when turning. Little side load on the cart spindles this way. Just wears the implement lift system instead.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If you turn corners with them in the ground it side loads the spindles with all the force between the tractor and implement. I have seen the spindles break before when a person farms this way, over time. It can happen with TBT. Something to watch for when doing service on them. Many people farm headland and pull the implement out of the ground when turning. Little side load on the cart spindles this way. Just wears the implement lift system instead.
I can't turn at all with the drill in the ground, If I try that, it will inevitably plug the fertilizer slots in the double shoot openers with mud, so I end up lifting out of the ground on the outside round corners. lifting and making a sharp backwards 270 degree turn without missing anything on the second round. After that back and forth.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Which models of flexicoil are breaking? Is my 3450 with duals a candidate? I suppose the duals would takshould be at the outsidee much of the stress off on a hillside, but add stress in rough ground or deep mud.
If you have the Flexicoil setup duals with the spacer between the wheels then the inside bearing should be at the inside wheel and the outside bearing should be at the outside wheel. That makes the bearings almost 4 feet apart and a 5 inch shaft all the way through. That is by far the best setup out there for wheels on the carts.

Our first 2230 cart had the 3 inch spindles and the first spindle didn't make it 40 acres and the other spindle made it 7 days in our hills popped a tire bead throwing the cart downhill and the spindle broke and rolled the cart. Took 10 days to fix with same size spindles. During the winter we got the 5 inch spindles and duals and are the only way we will run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts