The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried Teejet air induction nozzles on a sprayer with pwm? I see they have several different ones that are approved for pwm now. I am putting new nozzles on my sprayer and they would be an intriguing option if they work. I currently use Wilger nozzles and the air bubble jet ones with the air holes plugged.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Be nice if the turbo teejet induction worked with the case aim command. They look to be one of the best nozzles for drift reduction at a very affordable price. Anyone know if they still have some air induction properties that allow the droplets to blow up into small droplets when they hit plants for better coverage? Might be ideal for glyphosate at low water volumes.

In crop contact herbicides, these nozzles would probably be way too coarse as the PWM sprayers use a nozzle that is normally 2-3 sizes larger than a conventional spray boom and an air induction that is 2-3 sizes larger could be very poor coverage for contact herbicides at rates below 15 gpa and only really useable as nozzles for areas where you need drift reduction and you are willing to sacrifice weed control to reduce drift.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I don't use a nozzle that's 2-3 sizes larger than I would with conventional. I know PWM nozzles often claim a range of between 30% and 100% duty cycle, but honestly if you're not running 70+% most of the time, you're not quite getting the coverage you think you are. Even with PWM I still use at least three different nozzle sizes depending on the rate and pressure I need.

If the TTI nozzle would work alright at 30-70% duty cycle, but work great at 70-100% then it would work for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone tried Teejet air induction nozzles on a sprayer with pwm? I see they have several different ones that are approved for pwm now. I am putting new nozzles on my sprayer and they would be an intriguing option if they work. I currently use Wilger nozzles and the air bubble jet ones with the air holes plugged.
I am using Teejet : AITTJ60-08 for 10 gallon work and I like them. Once the pattern is established there is no drift. It seems the driftable fines are created when the nozzle opens, there is always a little burst of fines right at the beginning. If that could be eliminated, they would operate just like a conventional sprayer. If you get down to around 30 psi I can't notice a lot of fines. Teejet has approved these for PWM.

I have also tried Teejet TTI60-06 and they make a really coarse droplet. Pattern seemed fine, Teejet has approved these for PWM.

I experimented with the Teejet AI3070 for fungicide. Tom Wolfe has a video where they didn't work with PWM, but I had the opposite experience. The pattern was fine and the nozzle operated normally from what I can tell.

I have slow motion videos on my phone of all these nozzles working, no idea how to post them. Would love to hear some other experiences from other brands.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I am using Teejet : AITTJ60-08 for 10 gallon work and I like them. Once the pattern is established there is no drift. It seems the driftable fines are created when the nozzle opens, there is always a little burst of fines right at the beginning. If that could be eliminated, they would operate just like a conventional sprayer. If you get down to around 30 psi I can't notice a lot of fines. Teejet has approved these for PWM.

I have also tried Teejet TTI60-06 and they make a really coarse droplet. Pattern seemed fine, Teejet has approved these for PWM.

I experimented with the Teejet AI3070 for fungicide. Tom Wolfe has a video where they didn't work with PWM, but I had the opposite experience. The pattern was fine and the nozzle operated normally from what I can tell.

I have slow motion videos on my phone of all these nozzles working, no idea how to post them. Would love to hear some other experiences from other brands.
LI700 or something similar would help with that i suspect. I can't comment on the original question as i have zero experience with PWM. However, I do have around 800,000 acres of experience with Teejet, air induction turbo tee's and that right there should suggest my thoughts on them. To be fair, I have not tried a lot of other nozzles but no other nozzle that I DID try impressed me. I've given several sets of nozzle away because they just weren't satisfactory. The price went up substantially a couple years ago and Tom Wolf said it was because they were the only nozzle (at the time. may be different now) that was registered for dicamba. I was not impressed since I replace mine every year but it DOES say something about there drift reduction capabilities.

·
Registered
93 Posts
LI700 or something similar would help with that i suspect. I can't comment on the original question as i have zero experience with PWM. However, I do have around 800,000 acres of experience with Teejet, air induction turbo tee's and that right there should suggest my thoughts on them. To be fair, I have not tried a lot of other nozzles but no other nozzle that I DID try impressed me. I've given several sets of nozzle away because they just weren't satisfactory. The price went up substantially a couple years ago and Tom Wolf said it was because they were the only nozzle (at the time. may be different now) that was registered for dicamba. I was not impressed since I replace mine every year but it DOES say something about there drift reduction capabilities.

I'm a Teejet guy also. Have used the AIC nozzles on a conventional sprayer for 15 years and haven't killed any crop. Got a 4420 with AIM last summer and still trying to find the performance I had with the conventional as far as drift reduction. I may just use the sprayer without AIM if I don't find the drift satisfactory.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I'm a Teejet guy also. Have used the AIC nozzles on a conventional sprayer for 15 years and haven't killed any crop. Got a 4420 with AIM last summer and still trying to find the performance I had with the conventional as far as drift reduction. I may just use the sprayer without AIM if I don't find the drift satisfactory.
That right there is why PWM is not something that I will ever have. Drift control is VERY important to me (as is is for everyone) and I don't spray very many fields that would benefit from PWM. The vast majority of the fields that I spray are square. However, I was doing a field the other day that had a lot of sloughs and was bordered by creeks that almost made me dizzy spraying and i was thinking how much better the job would be if i had PWM to compensate for the boom swings in all those turns. For the guys that have a fair few fields like that, PWM is probably one of the better sprayer technologies to come along in a while. The drift control thing can be mitigated by simply not spraying in the wind which I think would be simple for most farmers that are spraying a 3000-4000 acre farm.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
In my experience turn compensation isn't all that great, at least on Aim Command Pro. Maybe it's better on Flex and on ExactApply. Mine reacts way too slowly (it uses GPS only) to be very effective around slews and obstacles. If it used an IMU to measure turn speed it would be way better. I rarely use turn compensation because of this. Even when driving straight it waves back and forth when on.

For me PWM allows me to be a smoother, gentler operator. I don't have to race quite so much to get up to speed. I can get away with just one headland pass. Makes everything a lot less stressful knowing I can slow down to duck around pivot points, etc. If I had square fields it wouldn't matter so much. I have not had any issue with drifting in a breeze with my PWM setup. I feel like PWM still requires a selection of nozzles to make sure you've got the right one for the job. Maybe too many guys try to get away with too few nozzle sizes.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
No pwm here but TeeJet Air Inducted are the only nozzle I use. I use only the 110 degree. Many would ask why and the answer is simple. Better coverage. Also if you do have a nozzle that quits which does happen the 2 on either side will save your butt. I have had small pieces of sand get sucked into the air inlet which make a nozzle have an erratic pattern. Rare but it does happen with air induction. I find it the worst when in transport and roading after a wet field. tire kick up gravel/ sand and the particles can land on the nozzle air inlet. It's like getting a hole in one but happens. Bad thing if it's where you can't see it. I check usually after every field. smaller the nozzle the more likely the particle won't pass through. I run 110015 green at 6.6 gal at 10.5 mph and 110025 lilac at 10 gal at 10.5 and 110040 red at 15-20 gal for Reglone. I used to buy them for $8 and now they are $14.60. Thanks Trudeau you dumb ass, keep printing money.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I also use 110 on 20" spacing with 100% overlap.

6.6 gal with the 15 nozzle at 10.5 mph is about 80 psi? My old pull type sprayer couldn't ever reach that with the pump I had.

I always preferred the Greenleaf Turbo XL nozzles because they only had two larger parts and were easy to work with with gloves on.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
No pwm here but TeeJet Air Inducted are the only nozzle I use. I use only the 110 degree. Many would ask why and the answer is simple. Better coverage. Also if you do have a nozzle that quits which does happen the 2 on either side will save your butt. I have had small pieces of sand get sucked into the air inlet which make a nozzle have an erratic pattern. Rare but it does happen with air induction. I find it the worst when in transport and roading after a wet field. tire kick up gravel/ sand and the particles can land on the nozzle air inlet. It's like getting a hole in one but happens. Bad thing if it's where you can't see it. I check usually after every field. smaller the nozzle the more likely the particle won't pass through. I run 110015 green at 6.6 gal at 10.5 mph and 110025 lilac at 10 gal at 10.5 and 110040 red at 15-20 gal for Reglone. I used to buy them for $8 and now they are $14.60. Thanks Trudeau you dumb ass, keep printing money.
Can't blame that one on Trudeau. The reason the price went up is because they are (were?) the only nozzle registered for dicamba due to the drift control so, in typical fashion, they increased the price (captured audience). While i have never had sand and such get caught in the induction hole, more than once i have found a wild oats seed jammed in one during pre-harvest. I swear those little bastards get EVERYWHERE!!!.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I also use 110 on 20" spacing with 100% overlap.

6.6 gal with the 15 nozzle at 10.5 mph is about 80 psi? My old pull type sprayer couldn't ever reach that with the pump I had.

I always preferred the Greenleaf Turbo XL nozzles because they only had two larger parts and were easy to work with with gloves on.
I'm a little old fashions I suppose as i use my speed to regulate pressure depending on wind conditions. In light breeze I like 70-80psi but as the wind increases I slow to reduce the pressure and reduce driftable fines. In 30-40K winds i drop my speed to get my pressures down to 20PSI on the headlands bordering a neighbouring downwind field the spray the rest of the field at around 40-50PSI. Good coverage with no drift issues.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nobody is going to buy a new sprayer that isn’t PWM. Exapply turn compensation is next to perfect in my opinion.

Fancy nozzles are no replacement for stupidity when it comes to spraying. Almost any idiot can spray glyphosate and not drift bad, but load Liberty or Diacamba or Any Ester and let the fun begin. I personally hate all AI nozzles because there not really linear on how they act as pressure rises.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Whe you guys talk about AI teejets are you talking about aixr’s? I have some and they look like they have a ton of fines in them

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Nobody is going to buy a new sprayer that isn’t PWM. Exapply turn compensation is next to perfect in my opinion.
While it is true that I will never buy another new sprayer (they don't make 4830's new anymore), if I were to buy one i would not get PWM. While exact-apply may work as designed, for my operation there is just no way to justify the cost of purchase or the cost of operation. I've been giving this some considerable thought and of the 60,000 acres that I spray annually, the number of acres that would benefit from turn compensation would be less that 500 and probably less than 300. I can not make a $40,000 "upgrade" to my equipment and not reflect that cost in my rate and it would be unfair to my customers to have them all pay for the benefit of a VERY few. I'm not the government. On the operating side, I typically go through 6-12 nozzle bodies per season. They ALL break at the hinge. The exact apply nozzle bodies incorporate the exact same hinge as the regular Hypro bodies and they weight considerably more. At a cost of $600 each (I am told), that is around $6000 of operational cost as opposed to $120 now if I was paying retail for my bodies. On top of that, the fact that the EA bodies are considerably heavier, it is likely that I would break more of them that I do the standard bodies. PWM has it's place and exact-apply's turn compensation may pay dividends for some operations but it is NOT for everybody. I don't see myself ever getting is so I guess I am "nobody".

Fancy nozzles are no replacement for stupidity when it comes to spraying.
Very true. Nozzle technology has come a LONG way since the old flat fan days but they still have to be used properly.

Almost any idiot can spray glyphosate and not drift bad, but load Liberty or Diacamba or Any Ester and let the fun begin.
You need to get out more. There is no shortage of guys that drift glyphosate, even in moderate winds and it is usually guys that don;t believe in nozzle technology and run their booms 5 feet in the air.

I personally hate all AI nozzles because there not really linear on how they act as pressure rises.
I can't comment on "all" AI nozzles as i have only tried a few and have only been satisfied with one.

·
Registered
892 Posts
LTK I think your totally missing the value in PWM for most farms.
1. Turn Compensation
2. 20in section control
3. Sprayer pressure control

Anyone that sprays 400000-800000$ of chemical a yr is going to get value out of 40-50k investment if they do a 2% better job over 5 years.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts