The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell the good and bad . I already know parts prices , but what else?
I know resale is poor compared to Green or Red.
Will this run a 8 row 30 with out driving 8 mile per hour plus?
What is service life on feeder chain ?
Rock trap?
Are they hard to service?
Thanks
JB

·
Registered
982 Posts
I bought my 585r in june this year and put about 40 sep hrs on it and by the time im done repairs i will have spent 15-20,000$ on it. Thats parts only... :( most of the repairs were due to lack of grease and some of the costs could have been avoided had i better know what to look for before heading out to the field. As they say education is never free... i must say its designed quite well and i was very happy with capacity when it was running but these machines need to be maintained. In my opinion the 100hr grease interval is too long. If you are buying used take somebody with you that knows what to look for and if possible buy a one owner unit or from somone who kept the machine well maintained. If they are neglected it will cost $$$ but i think if you keep on top of things they will run pretty cheap in the long run. Things i would look at are paddles on the aps cylinder, rasp bars/concave, impeller wear (make sure it has new style impeller as its easier to get wear kit for it) rotor flow kit if it had would help lots and the variable speed pulleys need to be looked at as well because the are fairly high maintenace, and belts need to be in good condition and kept adjusted as it takes very little loss of tension on the tightener springs to allow the belts to slip. So id say if you are good at maintaining it will be a good machine but if you wanna just hop in and drive probably not the best choice for a combine. Im not a long time owner so take everything i say with a grain of salt but thats somethings to check/consider. And i know nothing about harvesting corn. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont have experience with a 585 but we do run a 575R. its a 2009 model, been running it since new. put around 1200 hrs on it now and prior to this year we have put very very few parts/repairs into it. this year we stuck around 2000 into it, nothing big but a few regular maintenance things.. but yea greasing these macines is very important, well i believe it is with all machines. its been.a very good combine for us.. and my opinion of a 8 row on a 585 is u are going to have to be moving pretty fast.. we run a 12 row 20" geringhoff on our 575 and in nice dry corn we can get up to 6.5-7 mph..

·
Registered
69 Posts
into second full season with 585, very happy with it. Running 8 row head but easily handles 12; corn moisture this year will be over 30 % and 5-6 mph will be lots fast enough with 8 row. 1200 seperator hours on ours, felt money for dealer winter check in our shop was well worth while. We grease everything every two days of running; check tracks to be sure they are aligned - all you need is a heat gun

·
Registered
105 Posts
Plus 1000 on greasing the units either everyday or every two days. Also if you can find one with the rotor flow kit in it and a wear kit on the impeller you will be very pleased with it. They are a bean cutting mofo when things are right I've been shoving a 35ft head 5.5 to 6.5 in 60bpa beans corn it's about impossible toget any losses out the back when set right and the guys on here can sure help with that. I say buy one but find somebody who runs one to go with you to look at it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.