The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our T670 in at our local dealer and are having a problem with a warranty issue. The emergency brakes got left on going down for the road and got burnt out, even took the paint off of the brake drum. The beeper never went off because the display on the armrest had a glitch and was froze up. I decided to play with the display while going down the road to try to get it to work while I was moving home.

The service manager said JD won't cover it under warranty because it never threw any codes. It will cost $3000 to fix the brakes up. I asked to talk to the territory manager and they told me they can't give his phone number out, but they will make sure that he contacts me. I am not pissed off at the dealer because there hands are tied but I am little bit pissed off at deere though.

·
Administrator
723 Posts
There should be a phone # in your operator's manual that if your local dealer won't help, you can call, and should put in you in contact with someoone.

On a side note, how's the T670?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only got about 90 hours on it last year as we bought it at the tail end of harvest. Really liked it though so far. In 50bpa wheat that was tough and lodged, we were moving along at 5mph with a 936D. It took all the power it had but it did a good job chopping the straw and had acceptable losses. i would say it would keep up to a 9770 in cereals but in canola the 9770 would have the edge probaly. Overall I think they should be a good machine as long as the maintence with all the moving parts doesn't get to costly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Welcome to the new (economic) world of cost control. Ford is the same way. I had a bad sensor on my truck. The service manager and the mechanic both new from experience that it was indeed failing and causing other noticeable problems but, not throwing any fault codes. Therefore, since no codes, no warranty. Fortunately, it was only a $40 sensor.

I'm sure that more and more mfg's are enforcing that all dealerships and territory reps adhere (strictly) to all warranty policy and procedures. "Goodwill" spending can pile up in a hurry and therefore a nice cost savings.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally agree with you on the "good will" But that is one thing that brings quite a few customers back on their next purchase.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mate if they gave you his number why have a dealer, everyone would by-pass the dealer and just ring him. The dealer needs to push your case with deere.
I would ask the question why didn't you feel the park brake on.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Totally agree with you on the "good will" But that is one thing that brings quite a few customers back on their next purchase.

True but, there are so few main line ag machinery manufacturers left, and each one of them knows that brand loyalty runs deep despite any issues. Therefore, they know that losing a customer(s) over a petty warranty issue such as this is limited and will be a temporary loss at best.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to the rep today. He had his mind made up before he phoned. I guess thats how they treat a customer whose family has been green for 75 years. Our dealer has been great in the past with warranty claims but JD won't let them warranty this.

I don't think the brakes were setup right from factory or maybe the combine just had that much power. In our old 9610 there was no way you would move it with the brake on.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
On such a supposedly modern piece of equipment the fact that this ever happened to you is absolutely bullshit.
The should be no separate switches or buttons, ALL hydrostatic driven equipment should be like MacDon does it.
To wit, when hydro lever is placed in neutral, 3 seconds and no wheel movement later the wheels are absolutely locked in position.
Anyone want to tell me what would be wrong with that on all hydro units?

Don

·
Registered
149 Posts
sounds like a great idea Don, I like the park on jd tractors, my 95 will slip a little with a load on if your in th wrong spot.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
the territory manager isn't who you need to talk to if its like it is here in the US you have a TM he is just sales and your area service manager is who needs this issue.

Maybe you need to rethink that SOLID STABLE STILL JOHN DEERE

lol i had to

·
Registered
648 Posts
Several years ago we bought a 9760. We've been Deere since the pulltype combine days of the 1930's. The dealer took the machine in to do a crankshaft update on the engine. We got the combine back and ran it and the oil pan gasket started to leak. It started way up under the engine where we didn't see it for a while. By the time we noticed it the machine was off warranty. We found that the mechanic hadn't bothered to tighten any of the pan bolts. They were all hand tight only. Deere refused to do anything about it. I pushed them a little and was told "we know you'll be back." We're red now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Deere combines should apply brake same as their sprayers do.When hydro lever is in nuetral brake is on,not really sure why they dont do the same.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A good Territory rep would have at least tried to work towards a compromise. Like split the bill three ways if there was indeed some doubt. I have had this happen with other companies. Bill was split up 1/3 each dealer/company/customer. I mean obviously what happened is hard to prove either way, but good customer service should have at least been willing to work out a compromise. I find all the major companies are being less and less willing to support product when it comes down to it. It plain sucks, but like everything else in farming thats the new way of doing business. I think your rep is new to the area as well....he seems pretty stubborn. That reminds me to go fill out my dealer satisfaction survey. I highly recommend you do the same. There is ample room to explain your satisfaction with your dealer and dissatisfaction with your rep.

·
Registered
378 Posts
dealer is taking the easy way out blaming the territory rep.

The dealer saying deere will not let them warrant it is crap - deere can not tell them what to spend dealership money on.

Jono

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
That is the John Deere store that is at fault not John Deere Company

Might be true but that's one heck of a thing to say to a customer considering ur grease monkey wasn't smart enuff to tighten the pan bolts!!!! Maybe it worked out for the best for this guy tho!!

Also u need to keep pushing this is retarted. This should definitely be covered...

·
Registered
385 Posts
hey don the new jags have that system,its called stop block? i think,if the park brake is on with the switch the machine will not move.i bet the lexions will have it shortly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's what the dealer did in our case. They said that JD would not allow them to help us. They are the only JD dealer in our area.

Frankly it didn't matter who was ultimately responsible. You either have a bad dealer, equipment, or both. At the end of the day the end user is the one left holding the bag.

In our country Red, Green, and Yellow all will do the job. Dealer support as the differentiating factor. As a farmer I have NEVER gotten a second chance at a missed marketing opportunity or a crop mistake. I've had to live with every decision. Deere and it's dealer did get several chances from us on several pieces of equipment (we were green everything).....one or both (again who really cares) pissed them away.

I'd actually be a lot more forgiving if rather than pointing to a bad dealer or rep or JD themselves, someone would actually have the courage to admit a mistake. Even if there was no way the problem was getting fixed. At that point I'd be willing to consider whether a bad dealer or JD rep was the cause and still consider green an option. (Assuming they do offer a superior product) However as long as they're all going to point fingers like 7th graders on a playground why bother?

·
Administrator
723 Posts
Deere takes the satisfaction first surveys very seriously.... a bad report and its quickly passed down to the dealer level.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts