The Combine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
What I was primarily getting at is you say fuel as a gas compressed in a tank is too dangerous, it wont take off.... I say why not, when we already have CNG and LPG.... what's the difference?
If anything since hydrogen is lighter than air... would make it safer than LPG in case of a ruptured tank at an accident.
You said it yourself, propane is stored at around 100 psi.

Hydrogen storage pressure is anywhere from 5000 to 10,000 psi.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/hydrogen-storage-basics-0

Anyway, I'm not going to change your mind and I really don't care. If someone successfully creates a hydrogen powered vehicle and it does take off, right on.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
CNG is stored at thousands of psi as well.....
you said hydrogen is too dangerous it wont take off... I still just dont understand what's more dangerous about it..... pretty much all been done!
Unless the cutoff pressure is 3600 psi. Then your right.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thankyou Don. Sounds like an awesome adventure and this was a great thread starter. :54:

you said hydrogen is too dangerous it wont take off... I still just dont understand what's more dangerous about it..... pretty much all been done!
But has sadly went the way of the Hindenberg.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Thankyou Don. Sounds like an awesome adventure and this was a great thread starter.
Appreciate that, thank you, yes it was!
Sometime you wonder, gee, would this be of any interest?
Look at the range that’s been covered in 65 posts here, all of it more or less related.
Need all we can get to keep interest up here!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Don, do you think that Revenue Canada would allow a purchased Tesla to be a full tax write off if claimed as a shop tool on wheels, in this case a battery booster for farm equipment stranded in the field and needing a boost ?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thankyou Don. Sounds like an awesome adventure and this was a great thread starter.

But has sadly went the way of the Hindenberg.
Oh, lighten up....................... 😉

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
If you thought automation wasn’t safer...

Tesla Vehicle Safety Report
At Tesla, we believe that technology can help improve safety. That’s why Tesla vehicles are engineered to be the safest cars in the world. We believe the unique combination of passive safety, active safety, and automated driver assistance is crucial for keeping not just Tesla drivers and passengers safe, but all drivers on the road. It’s this belief that grounds every decision we make, from the design of our cars, to the software we introduce, to the features we offer every Tesla owner.

While no car prevents all accidents, we work every day to try to make them much less likely to occur. Advanced safety features like Automatic Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning and Obstacle Aware Acceleration, come standard on all Tesla vehicles for an added layer of safety beyond the physical structure of each car. Over-the-air software updates allow us to introduce safety enhancements and new features long after a car has been purchased by a customer. And because every Tesla is connected, we’re able to use the more than 10 billion miles of real-world data collected by our global fleet – of which more than 1 billion have been driven with Autopilot engaged – to constantly improve our products.

In October of 2018, we began releasing quarterly safety data in order to provide critical safety information about our vehicles to the public. We will continue to update this page on a quarterly basis with our latest safety information.

Q1 2019
In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 2.87 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot, we registered one accident for every 1.76 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 436,000 miles.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Did not reed all , but I have one opinion about automated driving .
It’s another HIPE .
Or money pit .
It will never happen , the reason : we have trains for years they are on rails and believe it or not , still two guys in front off the loco .

It cannot go left or right ,all automated still people in

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Q1 2019
In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 2.87 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot, we registered one accident for every 1.76 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 436,000 miles.
Does the autopilot work on gravel roads and in snowstorms, etc?

·
Registered
762 Posts
It’s another HIPE .
Or money pit .
It will never happen , the reason : we have trains for years they are on rails and believe it or not , still two guys in front off the loco .

Well North West Australia have been running 3kms long, 43000 tonne iron ore trains powered by 5 Locos with ONE driver for years. They are now switching over to driverless. Probably a good thing since a driver recently stepped out without securing the brake correctly and she went on a 92km run before they derailed it on purpose. Watch the video in this link, gives an idea of the force of that sort of tonnage !!!!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-22/iron-ore-train-derailment-inflicts-heavy-financial-blow-on-bhp/10737426

·
Registered
409 Posts
Our farming neighbor just bought a 2015 D90 and the thing is freaky to ride in. Fastest acceleration I've ever experienced and so quiet and smooth. I laughed right out loud. He is a big guy and so far seems to use it more for parts running than his GM 2500 diesel truck. He charges it on a welding plug. Self-steer seems very solid. He uses it to run to the lake as well. I was very shocked and really like that car and since we are adding solar to our yard for bin fans, something similar is in our future. We have test driven the Chevy Bolt and Hyundai Kona EV and they are both pretty nice at half the price but not near as fast or refined. They both accelerate about the same as my F150 Eco boost which is no slouch. I drove sports cars when I was young and much prefer driving a car than a truck anyway so a Tesla might just be in my retirement but alas, for now, I blew my wad on a new drill. YouTube Tesla Ludicrous mode and watch people's reactions. It's quite entertaining.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
It’s another HIPE .
Or money pit .

Disagree.

20 years ago many said auto steer would never take off. 10 years ago autonomous tractors were a dream.

Now auto steer is pretty well main stream and autonomous tractors are coming over the horizon.

To think or suggest that automated cars, that are making they're way into the world, will never happen is a bit short sided.

They'll become self aware yet. Skynet. I fear life will imitate art in the no so distant future. Watched Terminator Genesis this winter. Genesis was a new operating program that allowed you to control everything, people installed it everywhere with the idea when it went live it could make automated decisions for humans. Alexa? Siri? Hmmm. I've wondered off the reservation today.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
I do not know. Be more of a challenge.
I would make the point that those stats are less than meaningful because the Tesla cars are most likely operating in favorable conditions on good roads.

I'm surprised the normal accident rate is that low, must be some not getting reported...

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I would make the point that those stats are less than meaningful because the Tesla cars are most likely operating in favorable conditions on good roads.
Maybe but when you are six times better than average odds are they a better all the time.

Might also be a reflection of who buys a Tesla as well, they would tend to be more attentive to operating a car in general.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Disagree.

20 years ago many said auto steer would never take off. 10 years ago autonomous tractors were a dream.

Now auto steer is pretty well main stream and autonomous tractors are coming over the horizon.

To think or suggest that automated cars, that are making they're way into the world, will never happen is a bit short sided.

They'll become self aware yet. Skynet. I fear life will imitate art in the no so distant future. Watched Terminator Genesis this winter. Genesis was a new operating program that allowed you to control everything, people installed it everywhere with the idea when it went live it could make automated decisions for humans. Alexa? Siri? Hmmm. I've wondered off the reservation today.
Agreed. I'm typing on a flat piece of glass right now that will start and monitor my car,dishwasher,lights all from across the world. And it like my grandmas TV remote from when I was a kid.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A friend of mine works as a mechanic in Fort McMurray where the big trucks are autonomous drivers and he told me they have virtually eliminated driving accidents. The support vehicles still have drivers and he fears them the most. He said he used to be quite fearful of the 400-ton trucks as they couldn't see him in his tiny little 3/4 ton truck. He now navigates around the mine confident he won't get run over. I was surprised to hear this story. I will be happy when the day comes that I don't have to drive. I was an early adopter of easy steer and can't imagine working without it now. I'd like to put it on my lawnmower. LOL

61 - 80 of 80 Posts