The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local CIH dealer brought me a 7010 to test cut with. We were cutting 120-150 bu/ac milo. There was a frost a couple of nights ago, so most of the top leaves were dry. The stems were still green. We had good growing conditions, so there was good head exertion. I only had to take the top leaf or two.

My combine is a '03 9650W with a 25' header and Crary air reel, so all comparisons are against it. It currently has 1200 seperator hours.

First the strong points.

The cab is great. Quiet, lots more room. Good seat, plenty of adjustment. Convienent controls. A weeks worth of learning on the touch screen control panel. The hydrostat lever is smoother than the Deere since it is electronic. The paddle controls are so close to the 50 series Deere there was no problem adjusting.

The harvest capacity is about 40% greater than my Deere. 9650 would run about 5.2mph max with 10 rows, the 7010 would go 6.0 with 12 rows. Samples were comparable. Deere had more breakage, the 7010 put more pith in the tank. Neither machine was optimized for current conditions, but both cut very acceptable samples.

The single biggest dislike on the 7010 was the glare on the cab display. Late day sunlight will wash it out and it becomes unreadable.

For keeping the milo heads in the header, I missed my air reel.

I wanted to try a 70 series Deere, but the local dealer said "We just want to demo it on corn". This is milo country.

The Lexon dealer hasn't returned a call, even though they have a 560r close by on demo.

All in all, the 7010 is a very nice combine. I will have to consider it.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:My local CIH dealer brought me a 7010 to test cut with...

Same thing happened to me today as well. Thanks for giving your review of it, as it is nice to see a good comparison between paint colors.

-Lance

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm assuming from your comments when using the shift button on the MFH that the dealer didn't have the ACS programmed.

The "hidden" feature that you're talking about when pushing the shift button and the header resume button is actually kicking the combine into Headland mode on the ACS. The headland mode is set to raise the head 5% above the working height set point (set in HEAD 1 in the TOOLBOX menu). You can then program your upper/lower sieves and fan speed to change speed so you don't blow all your corn out the back when the crop mat lightens up as you're leaving the crop.

The shift button can also be used to operate the hyd 3rd link on a draper adapter.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The single point hookup seems fine by me. Still needs to have the ports cleaned up so you don't put dirt into the system. The wire harness seems a little excessive to me though. There are a lot of pins in that connector. Personally, I'd much prefer it was a 4 pin digital interface, but whatever works.

The dealer just told me to use the shift button and click RES at the end to lift the header. I have no idea what all it was programmed to do. Sounds like a new operator really needs to spend some time reading the book on this machine to learn about all the things it can do. I was told the shift button with the header tip buttons acts as a nudge button when you're using auto-steer. That seems very handy.

Is it officially called the "shift" button? If so, that is such a confusing term as it has nothing to do with shifting gears. Maybe "Alternate" would be better, like the ALT key on a keyboard.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:so whens the 2388 going out the lane ?

Har Har. Not this year. In our case, I think a 2588 would be a better fit. The 7010 and 8010 are just the wrong size for our operation. Too small of a machine to just have one, too big to have two of them.

When you win the lottery, keep me in mind. Thanks.

-Lance

·
Registered
929 Posts
Lance how did it handle the 12 row head? How was the corn you were in? I am running a 8 row geringhoff on mine but would like to get my dealer to demo me a 12 row head to see how it handles is and how well I can keep corn away from it.

I have been amazed at how much difference there is from one hybrid to the next this year. Some I can only go around 4mph and still through some out the rotor, but most I can run as fast as my head can pull it down. Been running 5.5-6mph for the most part in 200-230bpa corn. Once they updated the software for the extra hp i rarely see it over 80% engine load.

I would like to run a 12 row head and go slower rather then fly with an 8row... imo at least.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:
Quote:so whens the 2388 going out the lane ?

Har Har. Not this year. In our case, I think a 2588 would be a better fit. The 7010 and 8010 are just the wrong size for our operation. Too small of a machine to just have one, too big to have two of them.

When you win the lottery, keep me in mind. Thanks.

-Lance

C-mon Lance you need 2 7010's their only about $25,000 more than a 2588. Maybe 1 8010 or wait for the 9010 then you can get a 16 row corn head to match your planter. Or just get a 24 row planter and two 12 row heads......
...The possibilities are endless.....lol

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Big A: all it takes is money. My friends in Nigeria with that big government trust fund have so far failed to send it to me like they said they would. Maybe next week.

bleedred: it handled it just fine, but we were in some fairly dry corn. It might have acted differently in 25% moisture corn. I'm not sure I'm hooked on the 12 row heads though, as it just is so wide that it would be difficult to run in less-than-perfect conditions. We've had plenty of corn this year that was tangled up by some wind, and we've been running the 8 row heads pretty low to get it all. With our rolling hills, I'm not sure I could do anywhere near as good of a job with that 12 row beast.

I've spent plenty of time pushing around a 30' 1010, but for some reason that corn head just seems wide. The 7010 and 8010 are hungry machines though, and they need a lot of corn coming in to keep them fed properly.

-Lance

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:Big A: all it takes is money. My friends in Nigeria with that big government trust fund have so far failed to send it to me like they said they would. Maybe next week.

bleedred: it handled it just fine, but we were in some fairly dry corn. It might have acted differently in 25% moisture corn. I'm not sure I'm hooked on the 12 row heads though, as it just is so wide that it would be difficult to run in less-than-perfect conditions. We've had plenty of corn this year that was tangled up by some wind, and we've been running the 8 row heads pretty low to get it all. With our rolling hills, I'm not sure I could do anywhere near as good of a job with that 12 row beast.

I've spent plenty of time pushing around a 30' 1010, but for some reason that corn head just seems wide. The 7010 and 8010 are hungry machines though, and they need a lot of corn coming in to keep them fed properly.

-Lance

Did it have the sensors for the field tracker on that head. I have it on ours and it was nice when I had to cross a waterway on a angle and follow the rows. It was also nice on the hills.

Lance I thought I was the only one waiting on large check from Zimbabwe.....

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yes, it had the field tracker sensors. I don't know why you would buy a head that big for a combine at that price without spending some money on the electronics. Is it even an option?

It's Nigeria where we supposedly have rich friends. Zimbabwe is such a disaster right now that it is almost beyond belief. It isn't pretty. I'd say I'm glad I don't farm over there, but because I'm white, that is no longer even possible. All white farmers had to forfeit their land to the government a few months ago. That's a whole different topic though, so google it if you want.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:How many acres do you farm to keep those two 23's busy?

Didn't yo momma ever teach you manners? Asking a farmer about acres in public is in that taboo list, along with yields, cash rent prices, $ paid for new machinery, average grain sale price, etc.

To answer your question, less than a million.

-Lance

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 7010 I used had a 8L Iveco. The unit was set at 400 hp, with a 30 hp boost for unloading on the go. The software was set so the power boost was always available.

Below 105% on the power meter the unit was quiet. By the time it reached 110% it started to talk, and at 115% you didn't need gages to tell you it was being pushed to hard.

Acording to the gages, at 400 hp rated power the fuel consumption was 19 gal/hr. This would have been about 5.6 mph with a 30' head. Do your math for gal/ac.

The engine ran 52 lbs of boost at max power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 2500 series use an 8.3L Cummins engine which r now called CDC engines. The 7010 uses a 9L Iveco engine. The 8010 uses the 10.3L Iveco engine. Back to your subject of the shift button on the front of the multifunction handle. It is not recommended by case to set your Auto crop settings to change on the headlands. Reason for this is that when the sieves close on the 7010 and 8010 combines the control motor opens them all the way first to blow out corncobs. You will allow more trash in by changing your settings this way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts