The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a rant, complaint nor question about repair. Sorry.

But my new to me 3450 cart, tbh model, vr controlled without blockage, so far has been I think the most impressive machine as far as accuracy I have ever had the pleasure to operate. I know that someday something electrical will glitch and I will feel the opposite, but my first impression now after putting a couple hundred acres thru it is awesome.

I took the time to properly calibrate 2 of the 3 tanks and ran the meters as long as I could to collect as many targets as possible. Weighed the bags with the product and entered the info into the monitor.

On the 3rd tank, I did not have the actual product yet that I were to use and I would not have it until the rig was in the field. SO I made a calculator call based on the supposed density compared to the known density of one of the products in the other tanks. I had to make a small adjustment on that one. But the other 2 products were spot on at .002% of the target rate I input into the monitor.

And those tank level monitors?.............OMG is that ever cool and so accurate. When the last bar falls out of the gauge, you have about 20' to go and the lines are empty.

I dont know if case has screwed things up like they always do when they aquire a good product, but my 3450 Flexi coil has really impressed me.

Thanks Flexi coil.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been running the same 4350 for 10 years. This fall I got a digital 50lb. fish scale to weight bags. I was just concerned that the spring scale that came with the cart might not be spot on after 10 years. Gets shuffled about and all in the cab. Well, I was really impressed with how accurate it still is. Even with hash marks for half pound increments, was able to get weight withing a couple tenths/lb. of digital.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had a mechanical drive 2320 cart for 7 years. Of all of the major pieces of equipment on our farm, that one is probably the most trouble free.

The metering is as accurate as you want to make it (garbage in, garbage out, so take the time to properly calibrate it) and regular maintenance is pretty minimal and easy.

I have the bin level targets adjusted so that when the last bar disappears there is enough product in the tanks for about five acres. Most of our fields are a mile long and a 45 ft drill does about 5ac/mile. If the last bar goes away at the far end of the field I know I can make it back to the trucks. :cool:

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
I run 3450 with trimble field iq controls for my variable rate. Calibrate it correct and it is very close. Tried it multiple times when I purchase seed or any product in smaller amounts that fit into 1 tank. Put in weighted 100 bushels and it says it put out 100 bushels. I've done this with a few lbs/acre of inoculant or cover crop seed to 200lbs/acre of peas.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Just have a CNH cart new to me this fall. Impressed with it vs the old 20 series I had a few years back. Really like the calibration system, I agree!

Still wish the distribution system allowed for any tank into any run. And the air system seems so inefficient to me as well. Blow air into the frame then blowing it down past the rollers seems weird.

Sounds like I may have a project!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I agree!

Remember putting two mini bulk bags of canola seed (back in the days of cleaning your own canola seed :() in a 2320.
Seeded the fields out, in theory was supposed to have about a 4 liter ice cream pail of seed left. In fact, had a 4 liter ice cream pail of seed left. :eek:
PFL?
Partly, but the metering on that particular cart has never been matched since or before.
However, it was the last non variable rate cart I ran although I always had good calibration luck with all my Flexi-Coils.:)
Probably cuz I do it metrically!;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have enjoyed our new 3430 cart but still trying to figure out how to get product out of the center tank without plugging the manifold so we haven't used it so far this fall. Of course ours is modified with the front tank holding liquid so the front meter and air has been removed making a void in the delivery system in front of the center tank.

Otherwise on our old cart I liked the tank level sensors and the air velocity but we are running the new cart with a Trimble that doesn't allow those functions to be displayed or so I am told. Anyone have the tank level and air velocity display on a Trimble FMX?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
We have had the same experience with our 430bus carts, they never break in season. However they do require a fair bit of upkeep with all the foam seals, plastic wear strips, bearings, clips, and air dampeners. My bourgualt will have a lower cost of ownership but will also have more small glitches. Too bad CNH ruined Flexi, they are so far behind now.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bought a digital fish scale also for weighing product. Carts are very accurate. Put camera's in all tanks as well, nice for running the tanks right out.
As mentioned keep all seals from leaking and replace when they do. On the door seals as well as the manifold seals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.