The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike baseball curling actually does include "world" teams, well, northern hemisphere anyway.
Canada pulled one out of the fire last night, the Chelsey Carey foursome pulled off they're best game of the 12 team round robin in a do or die game.
It was an interest situation, winner of the two goes to the playoffs, loser goes home.
They went from an outhouse afternoon shellacking performance against Japan (the surprise of the tourney) to a penthouse evening game against Scotland to put themselves in the playoffs.
Chelsey meets Russia in the 3/4 game next.
Go girls!
Go Canada!:)

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I believe you might want to google the Russian players. I think it's the skip in particular..
Both Russia's Anna Sidorova and that beanpole Eve Muirhead from Scotland are models.
Assume that's what you mean.

Chelsey, not a model but nice, does a good interview as sports personallties go:
Video - TSN

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has really struggled with draw weight, the whole team has.

Don't know what they did between the two games yesterday but hope they keep it up!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I don't mind WATCHING the women curl, but honestly have to mute it to do so. Way too much screaming and screetching!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
She has really struggled with draw weight, the whole team has.

Don't know what they did between the two games yesterday but hope they keep it up!
Read an article about that this afternoon, Don. Chelsea said they had a "meeting" between the games. Amy said that there was a lot of tears, hugs, swearing, etc and they came out of the "meeting" stronger than ever. Sounds like it would have been interesting to listen in!

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Read an article about that this afternoon, Don. Chelsea said they had a "meeting" between the games. Amy said that there was a lot of tears, hugs, swearing, etc and they came out of the "meeting" stronger than ever. Sounds like it would have been interesting to listen in!

Andrew
It would have been quite the listen, I'm sure Andrew.
Not that Japan isn't a strong team, they obviously are, but for Canada to get trashed like that in just six ends is inexcusable!

Hope we take gold but I'm afraid I wouldn't put much on it.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Sounds like the "meeting" was just another shift at the bar between games. Lots of tears, hugs, swearing, etc before hitting the ice for the next draw.

They sure started the week off shakey and missed lots of shots that one should be making when playing at that level so i wonder if the ice was questionable as the opposing teams were missing easy shots too. I missed the games the lost but did watch the last few ends of the Scotland game. I cant get used to the idea of two different brushes and only one sweeper going at a time. Dont know if they are miss calling the sweep, trying to make the rock react, oversweeping etc, its all rather confusing. Russia seems to use conventional sweeping from little i saw.

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Russia seems to use conventional sweeping from little i saw.
That's old think on partying Ken, this level of curling has become a virtual business.

Even Vic Rauter admitted the other day TSN was lead astray, they'd been told only the so called "East/West" sweeping would be allowed at the World's, that fell apart and directional sweeping obviously now allowed.
Taking awhile for teams to fully utilize that without confusion but it's coming.

Don't know what decade Vic's going to retire but it's going to leave a huge hole at TSN and especially for curling.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Andrew
A few games before this their coach gave them a talking to about complaining all the time by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Yea Don, we were talking about it last week how curling is a business now and you wont see a guy like The Wrench on the ice anymore. Though friends tell me they have seen guys like Kevin Martin (and another name that escapes me right now, maybe Ferbie) in the Patch pretty lit up at night with another big game the next morning.

It has become quite scientific and i have heard mention a number of times about psychological coaching and training. Not just via a coach but actual therapist type of individuals involved.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What the heck
Japan misses their draw for one in the 2nd end because they are short 1" on a draw to the 8'. One brusher on it the whole way and the 2nd brusher along with the rock shouting words of encouragement. Its a open house draw, why not two brushers? Can someone explain this new sweeping theory because i am missing something.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
What the heck
Japan misses their draw for one in the 2nd end because they are short 1" on a draw to the 8'. One brusher on it the whole way and the 2nd brusher along with the rock shouting words of encouragement. Its a open house draw, why not two brushers? Can someone explain this new sweeping theory because i am missing something.
Yes, when weight is more critical than line, both sweepers should be going.

I think all the teams are still trying to figure out the "new" sweeping.

I have even seen where the skip will come out to sweep instead of the 2nd sweeper!

Andrew

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yea Don, we were talking about it last week how curling is a business now and you wont see a guy like The Wrench on the ice anymore. Though friends tell me they have seen guys like Kevin Martin (and another name that escapes me right now, maybe Ferbie) in the Patch pretty lit up at night with another big game the next morning.

It has become quite scientific and i have heard mention a number of times about psychological coaching and training. Not just via a coach but actual therapist type of individuals involved.
Glen Howard used to have a lot of fun in the patch as well.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yes, when weight is more critical than line, both sweepers should be going.

I think all the teams are still trying to figure out the "new" sweeping.

I have even seen where the skip will come out to sweep instead of the 2nd sweeper!

Andrew
I think this is because the skip has a different broom head on and it works better. I've seen the sweepers switch brooms part way down to help get it where they want.

1 - 20 of 287 Posts