The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen the who's seeding thread yet this season, so I thought I would start one.

We are about 60% done. Have wheat/durum in and now at a standstill cause finally getting some rain/snow.
Seeding has been good so far. Pretty dry here is SE Alberta, seeding at 2" deep. Took a probe in and ran out of moisture at 12"
Haven't had to pull out the tow rope this year, no sloughs to speak of.
Should start pulses next Friday looking at the forecast.

·
Registered
461 Posts
we are at about half done too..... glad I did as much fall spraying as I did a LOT of winter annuals got going on that little bit of moisture last fall.

we were 2" in as well - either to make sure that we were well into moisture if nothing came or well buried in case it got cold (like its supposed to shortly!!!!). was probing about 2', same as the fall so all that snow just ran off when it melted so fast......

Actually had been doddling last few days, wheat and pulses are done, thought maybe a little on the early side for durum and canola yet.

so far our big rain is just a sprinkle. Hope I wake up to winter wonderland tomorrow! really is a double edged sword for the hay and pasture.... desperately need the moisture but if it doesn't get a good snow cover and we do hit -14 .............

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,662 Posts
Just started in the northern Riverina, NSW, AUS.

Anywhere from 30-70mm got a few farmers off the wives and onto the tractor.......:1:

:Orange_tractor:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nothing happening around here. Everything is flooded. Setting new river levels, surpassing 2017. "Normal" year would start tomorrow likely. Lowest land under several feet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
No sence starting till after this system. Don’t like seeding 2 inches deep. Always turns out better if you can seed shallow. Will start once this drys up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Put in 300ac of oats here at Winnipeg yesterday....still a few sticky spots but should be full steam ahead for this next week.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You can’t kill rye. Bunch of guys put it in around me and it looks great

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
We might do some harrowing later next week and possibly some fertilizer. Guys have been combining for a few days, don't seem to be making too much of a mess. Got a couple inches of snow last night so depends on what the weather does this week for when we actually get started, still have snow along fence lines and bushes. Not putting in any wheat this year, going with barley, canola, and oats.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Nothing happening around here. Everything is flooded. Setting new river levels, surpassing 2017. "Normal" year would start tomorrow likely. Lowest land under several feet.
I talked to Steve Simon (Simon innovations) the other day and he said they just received 2" of rain and forecast for rain all week with a mix of snow. He is south of London ON. That really sucks. I thought we were going to be stupid early here a month ago but it turned cool and there is not much happening yet. Only one guy seeding as far as i know buy he is a BTO and has to start extra early to get it all in. Snowed last night with forecast highs in the single digits and freezing most nights. Hopefully seeding can get started in general in the next week to 10 days. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Lots of guys seeding around Dawson Creek. I heard a few have finished peas and started wheat. Our ground is 2 degrees 2” down so I’m waiting till the frost is out. We need a day or 2 of 15 + to get things moving. 12 with the sun shining is all we’ve been getting lately.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Seeding conditions are almost ideal here, except for the wind and the temperature. We started wheat on the 24th, currently about 15% completed considering all crops to go in.

I gave the exchequer a half hour driving refresher course this morning, so hopefully I’ll be enjoying the day off. Been thinking though, maybe I shouldn’t have left him with all of those electronic boundaries set to UNLIMITED!

Oh well, it might make a great coffee shop story.

Touch photo for high resolution.

https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151497&stc=1&d=1556468521

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
About 8" snow on the ground now, over 13" closer to Red Deer. See attached forecast to guess when field work will resume. I did see a couple of neighbors who forgot where we live, and what our climate is, and started seeding already. It is looking like May 10 start as usual. This is at least very much needed moisture, scary to be this dry at this time of year.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Guess I forget where I live as started seeding in Central AB this last wk about 1 wk ahead of "normal" - oats and some wheat in. There was even more perfect conditions than last year(started May 4, 2018) - no potholes to speak of, dust, moisture within .5" of surface and avg soil temps at 1" close to 5 deg - and very few other people going which not a bad thing either. Actually the 1' of very wet, Spring snow on the ground right now is a very good thing as think if people thought we were dry last year it could be drier this yr - I actually like dry years. Think this may be most significant moisture for soil since last September.

The annual start seeding thread should maybe be replaced with "do you start seeding by calendar, conditions, or when I have time for it. It will probably be touch later than "normal" by time we can start up again here so it certainly will not be dryer than "normal" to start crop.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts