The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
About 8" snow on the ground now, over 13" closer to Red Deer. See attached forecast to guess when field work will resume. I did see a couple of neighbors who forgot where we live, and what our climate is, and started seeding already. It is looking like May 10 start as usual. This is at least very much needed moisture, scary to be this dry at this time of year.
We pray for a forecast like that. Don’t happen to often

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Which forecast is that jvw?
Doesn’t look like Red Deer.
It was either Rocky or Sundre, I forget. We are roughly equidistance between the 2, and somewhat further to Red Deer, so I typically compare all 3.

Brazil, you are in a completely different climate zone to us this far west, seed away.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
This has been one of our driest springs yet we should be on the land by May 5th if the weather holds

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Finished up pulse crop seeding and got it covered with spartan by midnight last night. Woke up to 35-60mph winds and snow. Should melt quick and be back in seeding barley and spring wheat. Most in the area are started to finishing up. North central MT.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Lots of seeding going on in the Red River Valley east of me (even one guy seeding potatoes)... not so much on top of the escarpment. I just started applying fertilizer on some lighter land on Sat. I don't think our soil temps are anywhere near where I want them for seed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have about 900 of 1250 acres done on our irrigation. HRSW, barley, triticale and peas are all in. As soon as the weather clears we will finish off with our OP seed canola, soybeans and greenfeed field.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Some ground just starting to get scratched around here. I did a little this weekend. Moist, but not terrible. Way too cool soil temps for corn, but I'd like to get in my oats/alfalfa. We need some warmth......and we don't need the 1.7 inch of rain they're saying the next 2 days.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
An hour straight south of you on highway #23 near Deerwood. 2" of rain would have done more good. Snow melting around the bush was holding us up before while the hills were getting too dry. Wife was talking to friends in Treherne and they didn't get much either. Even half way down the escarpment was about half of what we got.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ok maybe thurs rain for here wheat is all in but gonna be hard to get canola to moisture gonna wait till warms up for it last year the early stuff yielded good but was struggle to keep Beatles at bay

·
Registered
272 Posts
Trying some of that frost seeding wheat Pete is always talking about.

Does anyone have experience with how fall rye handles three nights of -8 or lower? Lots of people tell me it is tough as nails, but it’s hard to imagine anything in 3-4 leaf taking that sort of abuse.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 77 Posts