The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,649 Posts
Don:

For you and those watching, I am a proud member of
the NRA, and I do own a number of guns.
I don't hate anything, that is a very strong word.

I do not like those that like to play big guy. It really
turns me off.

I suppose by now you have gathered that.
Actually no, I hadn't.

The way I'm using it hate isn't all that strong, I hate getting an ice cream headache, but I still end up doing it about once a month.
No use for guns maybe sounds better, it's what I mean.

Interesting that an American would be more setback by the word hate than I think most Canadians would be.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would say as far as the mechanicing on the machines, I like the 9770 the best. Has all the heavier, updated version of parts that were improved from the 50s and 60s. Is easy to maneuver around. Has a lot better electronics than the previous models. Don't know why but the diagnostic flow charts for hydraulics and electrics are easier to follow. Almost like Deere spent a little more time on this model than the last two.

It has been discussed and discussed that the 9000 and 9010 series were extremely reliable. It's a different age with different quality and workmanship. Can we really compare?
X2.

·
Registered
385 Posts
OR not
Only fit one if you are happy with not being able to get your chaffer and sieve out without unbolting the entire chopper:eek:
See my avatar
We have had our sieves out several times since adding the mav. No removal of the entire chopper only need to take the outside shrouds off to get it past.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I do not like those that like to play big guy. It really
turns me off.
I have pretty much stayed out of this after my replies with jcalder, and I will note that him & I have had a very civil friendly conversation via PM.

But this comment irks me, you have now attacked my character which is something I don't appreciate or put up with. You are basically insinuating that I am some sort of bully or "big guy" because of my picture. Please quote me showing where & how I bullied anyone on this forum.

So your an NRA member that takes offence to a picture of someone bearing a firearm, I think there is a word for that somewhere . . .

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
That is a bad a$$ gun, 50 Cal? I keep a gun with me in every vehicle, I am not paranoid, I just like to shoot $hit!! ;)
Its a .454 Casull that can also shoot .410 shot shells, such a fun gun but expensive to shoot. Unfortunately it lives in my safe until my infrequent trips to the gun range. :43:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would guess about 10% would like it, 10% hate it and about 80% don't care.

While the explanation behind it is honourable there is no way of knowing the background.

I hate hunting, hate guns, while I don't care for the photo I also don't care it's there.
I would fall in the 80%.

A farmer with a gun? Yawn, pretty common.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Anyway, back to the original post. I think a 9770 IS the best combine Deere has built. The auction values speak for themselves. I do believe there was a 2011 9770 that sold on Auctiontime last week for $190,000 USD. It had 560-ish sep hours, 2wd, and had a straw spreader. So it had nothing special for options and really in theory should've sold closer to 200 with a chopper. By comparison S680s are selling regularly for 210-240k usd with similar hours.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Jason:

You or whoever it is in your avatar with a gun in hand has bothered me from when I first posted on the site.

I am not sure why this is used, if it is a macho thing, it does not lead to any credibility to your posts.
For me it detracts with anything you say here.
GoGetter life man!
Bother yourself with something that matters!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I could pose for that picture of Jason if I shaved my chin and got those reflective shades. Jason is better looking, but my S&W is better looking. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
9600 was undoubtedly the most bomb proof combine, plus when they were new they were years ahead in comfort and control.

9770? I didn't know there was any left, I thought they all burned up. I don't know why they all burn or what made it different from a 50 or 60 series, I don't want you to get hard feelings about your machine, I would check around a bit and see if you can find what caused this problem so you can prevent it. If I knew I would likely buy one as the few left seem to be selling for around or slightly less than a 100k

Still wish combines were biult with the quality of the 9600s
Years ahead in comfort? ever run a r2 series gleaner the same year? to me that was a much better cab.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I am a huge gleaner fan but it was 89? when the 9600 was released, and to be completely honest I still prefer the 9600 style cab, still can't find a thing about it Iwould change, I have a 09' Miller sprayer and I was talking to the guys at an ag show and they were bragging up their new cab so I crawled up inside, checked itout, I was pretty excited to see it, got back out told the guy to kiss my a$$ as nothing that I thought should have been done was (such as a better bushing system on the suspension, better parallel link system, diff center section for better visability and a set up to adjust the angle of the rack) and now we got a "more comfortable cab" I couldn't find anything about it that at the end of the day would have made me feel better about owning the stupid thing because of a cab they called an improvement

NH and Miller is going to kill me one day for my statements but they need to come to realization that cabs may get equipment off the lot they do nothing for long term sales

Kinda got off subject there but I do have somewhat of a boner for that cab

·
Registered
17 Posts
70 series is by far the best combine ever built. The s is fine but the emissions system has given me fits. The mechanics are pretty similar except for the emission and more electronics. Everyone who is complaining about spending more on sts repairs than on 9600 s are hillarious to me. The sts does twice the work. It's like comparing the repair bill on two hundred series to an sts. Price per hour/acre is what's important and the 70 shines in that department.

First 1000 separator hours on our last 9670 we replaced 1 belt and 1 bearing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
One trick that helped me is to get get an sts without the options you dont use. For example variable speed feeder house was massive trouble and is of no value to me.

Manufacturers are under the false impression that bigger cabs have more visibility. Quite the opposite. I remember seeing a guy on a yellow sp combine with no cab wearing goggles! Visibility has gone down ever since but less chaff down the neck. Trade off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
70 series is by far the best combine ever built. The s is fine but the emissions system has given me fits. The mechanics are pretty similar except for the emission and more electronics. Everyone who is complaining about spending more on sts repairs than on 9600 s are hillarious to me. The sts does twice the work. It's like comparing the repair bill on two hundred series to an sts. Price per hour/acre is what's important and the 70 shines in that department.

First 1000 separator hours on our last 9670 we replaced 1 belt and 1 bearing.
I have never seen our 9750 do twice what our 9600 or 9610 would do and we have run with 9770's and they will do very little if anymore than we can do with our 9750. Our repair costs per acre are way more than they were on our conventional machines. We spent less than $5000 on our 9600 with over 9000 hours on it per year. We have been spending 2-3 times that on a combine that does 30-40% more with only 3000 hours. And they burn more fuel per acre. I have talked with the head mech at the dealer and he has found the repair costs to be higher on the sts machines as well. There are many here that have spent 30-50k to get the sts machine they bought into field ready shape. You could completely rebuild a 9600-9610 several times over for that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Run 9770STS and S670 side by side here. The 9770STS is no doubt a very good machine. Reliable and reasonable capacity.

S670 is a nice step up as far as the cab and controls go. Few little things around the machine that are just that little be more refined. Guess we are lucky to still have the Tier2 engines here in Australia, no emissions system to worry about.

Dad prefers to drive the S670. Same capacity and quieter/nicer cab.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No the sts is more expensive to run, ran a 9860 with 600 hrs to 1400 hrs beside a 9600 with 3500 hrs and the sts was at least double the maintenance cost and didn't do much more work than the 9600, traded the sts off and the 9600 stayed and runs beside the new combine and still is a cheap combine to run.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts