The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just can’t get any life out of a strap. They stay inside get the 250K rating or as big as they have and seems like they make the first season but never the next. Then its back to the miserable cable.
Anyone have one or a brand that has really stood up?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
These guys for me

45,000 lb tractor so a 4" 2 ply is good for a 60,000 lb rating I think. And there should be a 2x safety factor in that rating. Straight pull from tractor to a hitch and never had a problem. Pulling the combine out is what was hard on straps as they often get rubbed on the combine frame work or axle and then start shredding. That's the only time I've wrecked a strap. Had them make a chain for me to use with the 4wd also.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
yankum ropes seem to be popular. Welker farms and the millennial farmer on you tube got some from them as did Ron Pratt who has a towing channel

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
We have had two something like this one. The original one got broken early on. The only difference is the ones we have use a heavy metal oval ring permanently sewn into the end loops. We have a couple of very large screw pin clevises made of stock as big as my wrist if needed. You still need to take the initial slack out before pulling with a quad track or something might give. Frankly these things scare me and we now avoid using straps and instead usually pull the seeding tractor and outfit out with two 4x4 tractors side by side in front of the quad with some kind of new super strength light weight chains.

The hitch of a neighbours Seedhawk being fired at the Quadtrac while your away on a rain break teaches you a bit of respect that the strap, which is the only safe thing that can break, likely won’t. But the strap is great if you need to unhook and get yourself out.

I prefer old man privilege now, and just call for tractors and bored drivers.

FD92F12C-37DE-44E3-A3C6-832736C80AC6.png

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Anyone tried a kinetic rope? Some of the youtubers are showing off some pretty big red ropes. But I worry the elasticity of the rope is going to make it even worse when something on the machine breaks off and flies back at you with all that added energy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Have one of those 12 by 50ft straps and used it for last 10years. No problems yet but ends are starting to get cut up. The key to pulling stuff out is never ever jerk anything. Pull once strap is tight and it only stretches about 8-10inches.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This isn’t my first rodeo I know how to pull stuff out. The steel rings wear into the strap where it’s bunched up and as soon as any fibers start breaking there it’s done. They should have a steel thimble there same kinda idea as wire ropes do and we’d probably be on the same strap.

Definitely no interest at all in those kinetic bungee cords. That’s just death in waiting.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You need to know how to use a kinetic sling. I have multiple ones depending on what is stuck. Weight of the lighest vehicle determines the strap size. Never ever get one with any steel on it. Bad things happen as Joe mentioned. Seen it first hand. Any kinetic strap that is more then 20k should be covered in blankets in case something does let go. With all that said they do wonders, more then a chain or cable will ever do in the same conditions. I will take a kinetic strap over a regular one any day. If I have the traction and hp, I prefer chain. Even non kinetic straps store a fair amount of energy so be careful with them too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Freds Upholstery in Tisdale can repair them as well, The big 12" we've torn it on the tractor but never broke it. Kev
This isn’t my first rodeo I know how to pull stuff out. The steel rings wear into the strap where it’s bunched up and as soon as any fibers start breaking there it’s done. They should have a steel thimble there same kinda idea as wire ropes do and we’d probably be on the same strap.

Definitely no interest at all in those kinetic bungee cords. That’s just death in waiting.
Freds upholstery Tisdale fixed our 12” we tore on the tractor frame. Little shorter now but useable

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice I’ll give them a try. Then maybe I can put it back on the shelf and forget about it!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I wasn't there the day dad tore the tounge off the cultivator with two 4wds hooked to it. The tongue and pivot pin held, it was the frame work for the adjustable height of the tongue that tore off. You just never know what will let go and for that reason I don't like the idea of jerking or using tow ropes. Or jerking to use a tow rope properly.

Slings are a simply a convenient compromise. A good chain is heavy, and cables are heavy and hard to store. Convenience comes with some due diligence though. Once the slings start fraying, or have cut damage or melting (like from being bunched in a steel ring) then you are guessing as to what their new breaking point is.

The 4" sling I mention is a working load limit of around 12,000 lbs and a safety factor of either 5 or 7 depending on specifics of manufacture. Meaning it will never break at less than 60,000 lbs. Never. Unless damaged in some way. My 45,000lb tractor will never pull at 45,000 lbs, maybe 30,000lbs at best. Hard to say. But I picked up another 4" strap this spring because one was starting to show some fraying near the loops. Good for a while yet but it can be a backup.

Have a 1/2" chain tagged at 12,000lbs meaning it is a certified chain. 4x safety factor so minimum breaking strength is 48,000lbs. I used it pulling out stumps and a few of the stumps won out and had to get them out another year. The tractor will never see better footing than trying to pull a stump out on dry ground and so the chain will never see more pull force than that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Always had the best luck with the endless polyester style, extremely strong and easy to handle.Expensive though compared to flat slings. I remember seeing a D8 pull out a loaded tandem water truck on a pipeline, no sweat. (Obviously depends on what rating you get)

I'm still using one thats all mangled and tore, still works great. (Was backing up my cat and it got tangled in the tracks :mad:)
Polyester-Round-Sling-Yellow.01 (1).jpg

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
A rope shoots like a rubber band. Straight line. Chain , cable, straps all loop and roll. Maple leaf ropes make a 200000 lb rope. Free shipping. As well they have dyneema to make a 2 point bridle hitch. A rope is far easier on things if used properly as there is no jolt, just a slow increasing pull. Tough to pull anything if you are tight and let out clutch. A lot easier to put tractor at a couple miles an hour and let things tighten up.

uncoated is cheaper

bridle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts