The Combine Forum banner

401 - 420 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Saw that, likewise thought it was an interesting way to approach it/went against convention. Any idea of what rated HPs are then?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
No steering wheel that is so stupid. I don't care how good the machine is I will never buy one. If that fu***ng joy stick works like they do in video games I would have one bent up combine.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
No steering wheel that is so stupid. I don't care how good the machine is I will never buy one. If that fu***ng joy stick works like they do in video games I would have one bent up combine.
That’s what most all the Cat grader operators said once now 99% of them won’t go back to the wheel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I understand what you are saying SK Farmer and thought that exact thing to at one time, look how many farms are getting skid steers, most now are sold with one joystick for driving/turning. Or how many farmers have a joystick to control their ag loaders on their big tractors, they’ve trained one hand to be as gentle as one hand pushing pulling at old hyd levers, or one hand to do work of two and possibly one foot in there to creep ahead toward something or under something!
I though 6-8 years ago wouldn’t it be nice to get rid of steering console all together so combiner can get FULL view of table while combining straight or pickup, possibly catch something before going into combine also. Always those couple blind spots right in front of you while sitting back. Now with auto steer and grain carts steering wheel is only held on to for less then 20% of the hours we put on in a year anyways. Just my two cents on this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That’s what most all the Cat grader operators said once now 99% of them won’t go back to the wheel.
I don't think its 99%. Our rm has one of each and the guys all like the steering wheel. Cat is making the steering wheel optional again so that tells me way more than the odd driver wanted it back.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
No steering wheel is not a good idea. Might work okay at field speed but road transport is asking for trouble. I don't see the typical retired farmer combine driver adjusting well to that, but maybe you just hire an astronaut to run a combine like that...

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I like the idea of no steering wheel. Better view and easier on the shoulders I find. Only problem is it would bother my elbows a bit, years of running older hoes has taken it's toll, on top of running loaders and dozers. Mind you, in a combine, there wouldn't be nearly the same amount of movement required as a hoe. As far as running down the road, I have never heard of a grader hitting the rubarb, and they travel a lot faster than a combine.

And while they are at it, do the same with swathers, make them like a zero turn mower.

Reactions: Snipe

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Ah, that’s why the 1500 L fuel tank!
I think AGCO and the Ideal pulled a rope a dope......:22:

On this hand Ideal 9....biggest blah blah blah

Claas took the bait and is set to “revolutionize” harvesting Aug 1st.

On the other hand Aug 2nd BAM Ideal 10.....:22:

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
I think AGCO and the Ideal pulled a rope a dope......:22:

On this hand Ideal 9....biggest blah blah blah

Claas took the bait and is set to “revolutionize” harvesting Aug 1st.

On the other hand Aug 2nd BAM Ideal 10.....:22:
Except...Agco has far more proving to do than Claas does.

May as well get back on my dead horse again, with all these recent and upcoming very expensive introductions it would sure be be nice to have a neutral body to run these high-priced machines through some standardized scientific testing even if only reference machine capacity testing initially.
There is likely only 1/3 or less machines sold per year then back in the PAMI hay day, to go into a big purchase blind just goes against my better judgement.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Crowd, "AGCO should build a combine like Claas."

AGCO builds a combine like Claas

Crowd, "AGCO are bastards and should know their place."

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
Crowd, "AGCO should build a combine like Claas."
H

AGCO builds a combine like Claas

Crowd, "AGCO are bastards and should know their place."
Incorrect.
I want them ALL tested.

And no, fundamentally there is nothing the same in your cited comparison.
Think CR New Holland as the closest match to Ideal.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
And while they are at it, do the same with swathers, make them like a zero turn mower.
I've always thought the zero-turn mowers were very dangerous and in fact I know someone that was seriously injured by one when a branch caught her arm and the machine spun around quickly. Also the need to scratch a nose is just too much sometimes.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've always thought the zero-turn mowers were very dangerous and in fact I know someone that was seriously injured by one when a branch caught her arm and the machine spun around quickly. Also the need to scratch a nose is just too much sometimes.
Cub cadet just introduced a Zero Turn mower with a steering wheel. The claim its less fatiguing over the day

Reactions: torriem

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Actually swathers used to be like that. I never ran one myself but don't recall anyone who did being upset when they changed over to steering wheels.

meskie beat me to it...

401 - 420 of 530 Posts