The Combine Forum banner

441 - 460 of 516 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Anybody have some useful in-field experience with the Ideal combines yet?
It would be nice if someone on here would buy one and give a full evaluation. The salesman in Swift that sold six of them hasn’t been beaten up yet and is still in good humour last time I seen him so that is a good sign.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
any near you
None. Could be the typical "no news is good news", but hopefully not " if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It would be nice if someone on here would buy one and give a full evaluation. The salesman in Swift that sold six of them hasn’t been beaten up yet and is still in good humour last time I seen him so that is a good sign.
I assume those are the ones that are running with the 50 foot Honey Bee headers? If I can find it them there are a couple of videos from the guy running them on Youtube.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Ever since the Ideal came on the scene I thought it was odd that it might be produced as a class 7 unit. To me the platform seemed to be just too expensive to compete in that capacity class. Little did I know the IDEAL 7 only has one rotor identical to the two on the larger units in the lineup, along with some other predictably smaller components.

So far I can’t find any evidence of a Fendt buy in into Italy, so if anyone wants to call the IDEAL a Massey badged as a Fendt, that might be fair, because Fendt goes to some extent to communicate that it’s a German company, but it’s owned by an American company, I believe.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
So far I can’t find any evidence of a Fendt buy in into Italy, so if anyone wants to call the IDEAL a Massey badged as a Fendt, that might be fair, because Fendt goes to some extent to communicate that it’s a German company, but it’s owned by an American company, I believe.
Thats because they didn't, AGCO did. They first started a joint venture with Laverda in 2007. Well this is from Wikipedia and details some of the history.

Laverda is a manufacturer of combine harvesters and hay equipment, based in Breganze, Italy. It was founded in 1873 by Pietro Laverda to produce farming implements in the Province of Vicenza. 1956 was the year the first self-propelled Laverda combine, the M 60, was manufactured. Laverda formed a partnership with Fiat in 1981, and would be a part of that company for some 20 years.

The Morra family's holding company, ARGO SpA, bought Laverda in 2000 as Fiat was merging its New Holland Agriculture group with Case IH to form CNH Global. In 2007, ARGO sold 50% of the Laverda business to AGCO, the remaining 50% of the joint venture was eventually sold in 2011 and the Breganze plant became AGCO's European center of excellence for harvesting

From what I have been told and understand from chatting with various AGCO people, The use of the Fendt name on the combine is a marketing thing. They could put any one of the names in there portfolio on it, but because this machine represents a step forward in technology they felt that is was best to call it Fendt, in North America. It seems that they wish to use the Ideal as a way to push the Fendt name and brand in North america as rumor has it that they are going to be phasing out the smaller challenger branded tractors in favor of Massey, and Fendt. The tracked machines and 4wd will remain as challenger. This is just what I have been told.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Nice video, except it made me a bit motion sick. Interesting to see the computer stuff.

Am I the only one that thinks those are really ugly combines? I suspect they'll change the body panels in a few years to something a little less brutalist post-modern, hopefully with a bit more color.

Definitely interesting machines, though.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
You having some sellers remorse?
Maybe just a touch, I would be if I had soybeans this year. Borrowed a flex to get my peas off and now I have a year to figure out what to do for next year.

I couldn't care less about the looks personally, so long as the machine does a good job.

·
Registered
312 Posts
there is a new video on you tube doing wheat and telling about gearbox issue. Same guy as the lentil video. That guy drinks way too much caffeine ! I found it just by chance, wasn't even looking for it.....

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I wonder if that Fendt will be able to do a side by side comparison 40 years from now like the old Massey.................

441 - 460 of 516 Posts