The Combine Forum banner

501 - 520 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am not aware that AGCO has opened up Fendt in Manitoba to any other dealer than LMS Ag, Agwest is still the dealer for much of Manitoba. With the service/support expectations in place for Fendt I would think LMS Ag will be limited in how far away from the main dealer they will be able to sell the Fendt line. I know that the geographic area is defined as I saw a map of it but did not really pay attention as we are on LMS Ag's doorstep more or less.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agco has finally made a smart move, allowing Manitoba dealers become Fendt dealers also.. Now the Ideal will be available in Man. If the Massey combines are dropped.. the Basic Ideal isn't that much more then a Massey. One guy who got the basic Ideal 8 said he felt that it was a deal over the Massey when U consider the capacity, improved sample, upgraded cab and warranty.. If this is true dropping the Masseys is no different then just bring out an improved, updated Massey.. anyone upset over the loss of the Massey name, needs to look at the bigger picture.. The name means nothing to me, I want the best machine for the lowest cost.. If the Ideal will do that, then I'll have one.. especially with their extended warranty.

I would like to see the 4 wheel drive being offered to all the dealers.
Isn't the Challenger line being dropped?
If it is, has anyone heard what is happening to the Challenger 4 wheelers..????
The Massey dealers have been asking for large articulated tractors for 20 years. I would be surprised if AGCO ever complies. In the meantime, they'll just all keep selling Versatiles, and we'll all keep buying them.

The rumour last year was that Challenger was going away. I figured that was a done deal when the newest tracked machines were launched as Fendts last summer, but just recently they announced that they will also be available in yellow afterall. My guess is that Challenger dealers complained, and that they have more pull than the Massey dealers.

I haven't heard anything about the Challenger articulated machines one way or the other, but now that the larger tracked units have moved to MAN engines, I think that these are the only machines left using the AGCO V12. I doubt that there's enough volume to continue that way, so I was thinking that if they did keep making these tractors, they'd give them the same updates as the tracked machines, including the CVTs and MAN engines and sell them as Fendts. But now that Challenger seems to be continuing, your guess is as good as mine. In any case, when we looked at them in the past, they just weren't price competitive so we went with Versatile.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Every manufacturer is responsible for their own demise. I buy what is affordable and works. I own a 9790 MF which is 16 yrs old and a Gleaner colored A85/ 9895 Massey. Anyone I spoke too who owned one of these said they would buy one again. Massey had a simple design with these older machines and the new models which seemed to be well liked without the hydraulic rotor as well. It seemed Massey just needed to continue what they had going as they were becoming more popular I thought. So many bad business decisions in that head office that engineers who developed good designs must really be saying WTF. Everytime they make a decision a dealer or 6 disappears. One would think you want the opposite effect but those in the fancy board room chairs don't understand much. They are wealthy but you can't assume intelligence because of wealth. Trudeau is a perfect example of this wealth = intelligence fail.

·
Registered
480 Posts
AGCO should be utterly ashamed as to how they handled this situation. First of all you don't cancel orders for sold machines, IN JANUARY! Secondly, you drop the line the right way, kill it off. None of this, will she or won't she crap. When the Ideal was only going to Fendt the Massey should have been taken off the books. That was three bloody years ago, going on four. For goodness sakes I'm told they only chose to have only Fendt only a few days before the unveiling at Farm Progress in Regina. But the Gleaner guys in AGCO got their wish, no more Massey. I guarantee The Ideal will be a good machine and the Gleaner will go the way of the Massey in less the ten years. As a disclaimer I have nothing against the Ideal but AGCO is to blame here

·
Registered
372 Posts
So what about these dealerships who jumped through AGCO's hoops and updated their facilities to please the AGCO gods?? They have spent 100's of thousands and some millions for new buildings so they could keep selling AGCO's Massey equipment, now they pull the combines on the farmer and the dealerships!! Stupid move AGCO...you just pissed off a lot of Massey owners who will switch colors to green, yellow or the other red!! These farmers will take a bath on their trade ins also, since no one will want a discontinued combine now!! The AGCO gods must think that every farmer that owns a Massey will jump on the Ideal bandwagon...don't count on it!!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Was just at the local Agco dealer and chatted with a couple salesmen there and they never even mentioned Massey! They don’t seem to be too but hurt about it!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Was just at the local Agco dealer and chatted with a couple salesmen there and they never even mentioned Massey! They don’t seem to be too but hurt about it!
Ha, most sales guys these days wouldn't know cow **** from ground beef. Again when you let a thing like this die a three year death its hardly surprising.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
This is one of the dealers that took on Fendt and not one of the Massey only stores. Would have probably been a different story at one of those.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Every manufacturer is responsible for their own demise. I buy what is affordable and works. I own a 9790 MF which is 16 yrs old and a Gleaner colored A85/ 9895 Massey. Anyone I spoke too who owned one of these said they would buy one again. Massey had a simple design with these older machines and the new models which seemed to be well liked without the hydraulic rotor as well. It seemed Massey just needed to continue what they had going as they were becoming more popular I thought. So many bad business decisions in that head office that engineers who developed good designs must really be saying WTF. Everytime they make a decision a dealer or 6 disappears. One would think you want the opposite effect but those in the fancy board room chairs don't understand much. They are wealthy but you can't assume intelligence because of wealth. Trudeau is a perfect example of this wealth = intelligence fail.
When U compare the Massey combines to the others the Massey is the simplest So simple that I keep asking my self why are they charging so much compared to the others?? If Massey would have been selling their combines at a lower price.. I'm sure there would be more of them out there.. there are color blind farmers But most of the ones I know want dealer support and good pricing.. Which for the most part Massey failed at.

·
Registered
669 Posts
One of the biggest problems are the Cat dealers and there refusal to sell the MF combine for the last 18 years!! That takes the brand out of a big market.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
One of the biggest problems are the Cat dealers and there refusal to sell the MF combine for the last 18 years!! That takes the brand out of a big market.
Not sure why Agco thought they should sell equipment through cat dealers. Claas learned that lesson also.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
I don’t get that either, Claas needed that relationship to establish a market but once it was the separation was not only needed but sweet In my areas case.
MF never needed that brand recognition obviously.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am not aware that AGCO has opened up Fendt in Manitoba to any other dealer than LMS Ag, Agwest is still the dealer for much of Manitoba. With the service/support expectations in place for Fendt I would think LMS Ag will be limited in how far away from the main dealer they will be able to sell the Fendt line. I know that the geographic area is defined as I saw a map of it but did not really pay attention as we are on LMS Ag's doorstep more or less.
Looks like a few in MB

·
Registered
112 Posts
Seems clear that AGCO want to slowly starve out their smaller dealers and focus on corporate stores. That's exactly what happened in Manitoba with CNH, and as a direct consequence the quality of service to most customers has taken a serious turn for the worse.

Other than the now product-deprived Massey dealers, the only family run stores left here are a couple of Deere stores. The only Fendt dealer in Manitoba went from a client-focused family owned business from who we bought two combines, two tractors, a swather, and years of parts and service, to a corporate storefront who told us right to our faces that they are not interested in supporting family farms like ours, only folks who can lease multiple Lexions (they are an IDEAL dealer in name only). We switched to a family owned Massey dealer, who provided us with outstanding support for the last several years.

We would have loved to replace our previous Massey combine with another Massey, but since somebody at AGCO has decided that they are not interested in supporting the kind of dealers we like to work with, or supporting average sized family farms like ours, we felt forced to buy a Deere combine instead.

It's not really an issue of brand for us (although we have been running Massey equipment since my grandfather bought a 44 tractor six decades ago, so there is a serious nostalgia factor for sure). It's really about relationships and doing business with people you can trust. Sadly, AGCO just doesn't seem to see it that way.
Little Morden is now fendt dealer though. Gonna be interesting for Agwest to keep up now.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So in SK. we had 16 MF dealers in the province, now with AGCO's wisdom of promoting Fendt we only have 14 MF dealers left. If guys thought AGCO's dealer network was small under MF well look at the Fendt dealers there are only 8 in the province.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
The value of the MF trade is probably taking it on the chin right now. Agco better step up and offer a premium to those that have stood behind them if they are going to make the leap of faith to the Ideal’s.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yummy high capacity , low maintenance , simple , cheap used combines . It's sad but that is what is going to happen .

501 - 520 of 531 Posts