The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The widening city-rural gap, and the mistrust that develops. This mistrust is being bred in fear that we as producers are reckless users of the tools
(chem, seed tech, land) we have. Food has become a religion in many circles, and there are many who have trouble with food production being profitable.

That being said, I enjoyed conversations over the holidays with friends who were genuinely interested in getting the rural scoop on some of this 'spin'.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Interest. We pay lots now and will likely pay more in the near future. Large sums need to be borrowed for a small profit which is not guaranteed.
The farmer's carrying high debt loads should be deathly afraid of deflation, it's really the only thing that can really jeopardize a productive operation. Interest rates can be locked in and managed, weather will average out over time, but deflation.......that should be feared!:(

Nothing else major as long as one is OK with change.;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow! I surprised at these answers.....I'm not worried about higher interest rates...partly because if they raise int. rate significantly, the gov becomes insolvent!

I'm worried about where the gov. is going to get the revenue to pay their debt....So I am worried about regulations....the ones we know about...the ones we will find out about....and the ones they are trying to pass currently (and the penalties for not being compliant when we didn't know about them). And higher taxes Property tax and income tax.

low prices are part of the cycle....if you don't plan for it then you will be gone! and locking in low interest rate is kind of funny....my banker said the average farmer re-finances ever 4-5 years.....so I question those that say locking in low rates for 30 years will save very many farms.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Technology, what happens when someone or something wipes out the internet or electronics even for a short period of time? It may never happen but the way everything is interconnected and getting more so every day a glitch could be devastating.

For instance...
Many if not all current GM vehicles and many others can be shut down over the internet.
Can a virus or worm be introduced into a manufacturer's software that can shut down all their equipment on a certain date after the virus is introduced?
Solar flares or something else unprecedented ejected by the sun?
Electromagnetic pulse bomb?

·
Registered
275 Posts
What costs us the most, year in year out, is weather forcasting. Or should I say the deterioration of quality forcasting. Government cutbacks, and more reliance on computer modeling has marginalized the forcasts. More than once a heavy rain event was [email protected], so we go and seed shallow all night. Only to hear a dry weather forcast next morning @8am. Seeds stranded in dust for weeks. $$$

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
What costs us the most, year in year out, is weather forcasting. Or should I say the deterioration of quality forcasting. Government cutbacks, and more reliance on computer modeling has marginalized the forcasts. More than once a heavy rain event was [email protected], so we go and seed shallow all night. Only to hear a dry weather forcast next morning @8am. Seeds stranded in dust for weeks. $$$
I never plan my work around the forecast.... ever. It will bite you in the a$$ everytime! I think our reliance on technology is getting scary. Solar flares, hackers ( mind you having no money in my account I wont lose much there! ) and almost everything in the world being vulnerable to someone on the internet thats capable of bringing us all to our knees.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
For us it has been weather alone. Specifically too wet for too long. 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. All of those years had acres too wet to seed. Two of them we could seed nothing, 2 of them half, and the other two were 80% of what should have been.

This has almost done us in to be honest. In the midst of an ag boom, it hurts having no crop and high prices.

We need dry weather. Had things been drier, I would be doing pretty darn good.

I can deal with high inputs prices, low grain prices, government inaction, high interest rates.

But I can not afford too much rain ever again.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.