The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching the RB sales like always and can’t say I miss the auctioneer’s! I’d just assume they stay timed lots like now.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Almost prefer the timed auctions. Little more time to watch and bid. Do miss going to a live sale for the socializing and viewing equipment though. Would be nice if they go back to live auctions to keep all the misc online. Sometimes theres little things at a sale but you don't want show up at 10am and then be there till 4 to watch the bigger stuff sell.

I think once this blows over they will go back to live sales. There is still customers out there that don't bid online that they are missing out on.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I don't know, a lot of people like the excitement of listening to an auctioneer rattle away.

Not to hijack this thread, but have been wondering how many jobs/businesses will never come back after this? One example is bank tellers. I had to deposit a cheque last week, they let people in one at a time, lady asked through the locked door a list of questions before they would let you in, then stand here and don't move. Took 20?? minutes just to deposit one cheque. Now I got an email yesterday saying starting on the 14th you will have to have an appointment just to go inside the bank, getting way too inconvienient. Many people will switch to all online banking, I do some that way, but not all. If I go to all online, and most others do, those jobs won't be viable in short order.

Reactions: torriem

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I think they get more bidders on the small stuff. Easier to browse on a computer then look around at all the random stuff

·
Super Moderator
3,180 Posts
Big banks have been looking for an excuse for years to close rural infrastructure.
The galloping technology era and C-19 might be the last straw.

Timed auctions might be fine if you are actually looking at a purchase but they‘re paint drying material otherwise.
They will end up doing whatever makes them the most money.
I suspect live, onsite and online sales will eventually return.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I actually like the online bidding, it gives a person time to bid, without any pressure or the ring guys pestering you for another bid!! Sometimes at sales things sell too quick after a bid and the guy in second place misses out!! The timed online bidding evens the playing field out for everyone that is bidding, and by what I have seen, the prices have all been very good!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't know, a lot of people like the excitement of listening to an auctioneer rattle away.

Not to hijack this thread, but have been wondering how many jobs/businesses will never come back after this? One example is bank tellers. I had to deposit a cheque last week, they let people in one at a time, lady asked through the locked door a list of questions before they would let you in, then stand here and don't move. Took 20?? minutes just to deposit one cheque. Now I got an email yesterday saying starting on the 14th you will have to have an appointment just to go inside the bank, getting way too inconvienient. Many people will switch to all online banking, I do some that way, but not all. If I go to all online, and most others do, those jobs won't be viable in short order.
Had issues with the bank. Their web/mobile be your own teller app wont let you deposit large checks, maxes out at 50k/month. Try putting in a canola check with those restrictions. They wont raise the limit or accept dropbox/mail deposits. Have to go in person to see a teller. Lot of good that is during this social distancing time.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
I'm surprised that none of you saying how nice it is to have extra time to think and bid online, aren't realizing that is why things are selling high...yes absolutely great if you are selling, but if you are buying, how exactly is that a good thing when you end up having to pay more?

Auctions are like my day off, so many of those kind of rural get togethers going away, no more John Deere Day or Edmonton Farm and Ranch show and list goes on, sales getting to be about the only thing left I've enjoyed since childhood lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Had issues with the bank. Their web/mobile be your own teller app wont let you deposit large checks, maxes out at 50k/month. Try putting in a canola check with those restrictions. They wont raise the limit or accept dropbox/mail deposits. Have to go in person to see a teller. Lot of good that is during this social distancing time.
Our Credit Union doesn't have an online deposit limit as far as I can tell.
Edit: And most companies will direct deposit grain checks.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but have been wondering how many jobs/businesses will never come back after this?
Its been multi-years since I have entered a bank branch. I can vaguely remember doing it but I'd have trouble pinning down when it was.

There's a lot of our life that was long overdue for a reset. Education springs to mind. From about Grade 9 on I can't think of one good reason to pack the buggers into a classroom. The big impediment to that change is techers' unions. Bank tellers are not well organized so that one probably happens - education, not so much.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I don’t trust the timed auctions. Lest with a live auction it starts and ends in under 3 mins

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don’t trust the timed auctions. Lest with a live auction it starts and ends in under 3 mins
Sure timed and online auctions are convenient but how does one know if they are legit. Could be bidding against a computer ghost. There needs to be away to monitor/ verify that it is legit.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Sure timed and online auctions are convenient but how does one know if they are legit. Could be bidding against a computer ghost. There needs to be away to monitor/ verify that it is legit.
Still don’t see how that matters. Bid to your max and don’t click if it goes higher. Even live auctions you don’t know who you are bidding against a lot of times.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can bid online at a live auction too. No different.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I just picked a bank as one example. Was thinking many stores also, be even more online shopping done?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Ive always loved live auctions, ever since I was a kid. I hated the idea of auctions going to timed online, but after sitting in the office watching an auction I have to admit I think I might like the timed auctions better? I know what guys are saying about not knowing who we are bidding against, but even at live auctions its the same risk.
The RB timed auctions this spring have been really strong, and because I own farm equipment I’m always glad to see it trade strong, increases stability in my line of equipment. When things sell cheap it hurts my equity in equipment as well.

As for banks my CU doesn’t seem to have a limit on amount deposited through the app, I think that may have changed because of CV19. Can’t see my self going to a branch for a very long time.

The one positive I see from the virus is it has pushed me towards technology that I partially used before but now use fully, and wont go back to the old ways.

Some things are forever changed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
All of the spring bull sales have now gone online. There's still a live auctioneer for most and some still have onsite bidders as well. The ones that are timed auctions were already booked that way before the virus. I don't think cattle sales will go to the extreme that equipment sales have gone to and I hope they never do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts