The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize we have quite a mix of both, at the moment, members from both very hot as well as very cold areas of the world, I just wonder if or what sport you are following at the Olympics?

Caught the highlights of the opening ceremonies, the competition to out dazzle previous games is unbelievable!:eek::)

·
Registered
382 Posts
This Olympics has a funny vibe to it. To be honest I have no desire to even watch it. I used to enjoy them but alot has changed in the last 12 or so years. Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Honestly I have zero interest in any of it, and thinking about it, only time I have ever actually watched or did pay attention was when Sandra Schmirler and her team were doing their curling thing years back. But one thing that really stands out this time around that I am noticing, is how Joe Public and the media are really making an effort to make fun of and humiliate the Russians. Almost like what happens on here to Chris and I if we mention our Russian tractors:D
Certainly there are some issues of things not completely finished and such, but then its not the first time that's happened either. And I am at a total loss on the one about the bathrooms...thought the big thing was to have co-ed bathrooms and family change rooms in our public facilities...but when the people who push this crap have to sit beside each other to take a dump it's suddenly a bad thing:rolleyes: Obviously these folks didn't grow up using a two seater from time to time years ago...when it was cold, modesty gets over looked in a big hurry:D

Like for example, last nite on CTV National, the bimbo babbled for over three minutes and they made a really big deal of how there was some malfunction of some electronic equipment and lighting up of the Olympic rings during the opening ceremony. Funny how when they couldn't light the fire in Vancouver last time around, but there was no sneering comments from the media, nor did it garner the time and attention of the media like it did lastnite. Also the way the media is promoting this bullshit over a particular group and their rainbow colored flag just to try to annoy the Russians...I gotta admit I'm with Rob Ford on that one;)

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Hmm for a guy not interested in them you know a lot of what's going on. :)
I'm guessing that comment is directed at me...I watch the news to keep myself informed as to what is going on in the world around me, but for some reason events like this and American football seem to be priorities to the Canadian media:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Not interested, way too commercial and $52B could go to way more productive projects.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
When I was a kid, when we only had 4 channels, the Olympics were something to watch. Around the area I live the only sports that appeals to people seem to be cardinals baseball, high school football and basketball, hunting and fishing. I myself would rather watch high school sports than anything the Winter Olympics has to offer. The only thing I like watching on the summer Olympics is weightlifting, archery,and wrestling. I cant stand NBA basketball so i dont like Olympic basketball either.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
care factor 0

·
Registered
789 Posts
Olympics, not much interest. Think I will watch the super bowl again, much more interesting to me as a lifelong Seahawk fan. GO HAWKS!!

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
..... but for some reason events like this and American football seem to be priorities to the Canadian media:rolleyes:
Don't think you're alone in the world having to put up with that rubbish. We in Aus get the US football & basketball shoved on our screens infinitum :eek: Who gives a sh.t! Why don't they broadcast the Himalayan Rock Rolling Championships - I'm sure they have them;) - it would be just a relevant.
Ah yes, but it's not sport any more. It's a extended TV commercial with short breaks of people throwing balls, hitting balls, cars going in diminishing circles etc. accompanied by a constant diatribe of verbal diarrhoea from would be, could be, or has been - puppets.

It's that sort of crap that really makes me wonder where integrity goes at these high end (supposedly) events.:(
Don't need to wonder Don. Integrity left the sport(s) scene many moons ago.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Being as CBC turned the switch off for analog peasant TV up in northern Alberta and they seem to be the ones covering the Olympics this year, I won't get it even if I wanted to take in any events.

One event I though was fun to watch at the Vancouver Olympics was the new event, womens snowboarding or do they call it snowcross. I can't recall if its four or six girls flying down the curvy track with all the jumps and just packs a lot of high action into the run. The only change I'd like to see is that all those nice young athletic ladies have to wear skimpy two piece bathing suits ( Olympic regulation of course ! ) and colored to resemble their respective countries flags, helmets and gloves ... can't forget the safety gear !. I can just visualize husbands sitting their watching all the action on their big screen TV as the wife takes a look and has a "moment" and then the husband explains ... "oh look honey, its the Winter Olympics" :D . Something tells me TV stations around the world would gain a higher male viewing audience for that event anyway ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Me and the wife are both enjoying watching.

I cant stand the NBC coverage....the commentators are just so arrogant......

Mind you CBC isn't far behind......

We will rewind any fails... LOL..... wipeouts...

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,747 Posts
I haven't had a look yet but I assume Winter Olympics, means no eye candy??:D:D:D

Besides, 5 rugrats, 1 TV. odds aren't that great for control of the remote.:eek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
the bottom line there is too much on tv these days. Too bad the olympics is a great thing in my opinion.

If they took all the repeats and reruns of TV there wouldn't be much left.

The Olympics is good clean family TV but working in 40 Celsius heat all day i cant bring myself to watch them ski jump snow men .

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
If they took all the repeats and reruns of TV there wouldn't be much left.

The Olympics is good clean family TV but working in 40 Celsius heat all day i cant bring myself to watch them ski jump snow men .
I was thinking it looks much warmer there then were I am at.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts