The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the worst break downs you have had on a international or case ih 1460 combine???

mine is the auger shaft broke right in the middle of harvest and it was about 500 bucks to fix

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sounds crazy but the worst one I had was blew both the front tires in one day and ruined the ladder. We also busted the hyd. belt. That is about all. I better knock on some wood lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
on a 1660 had the rear axle break on the side of a hill and pointed the nose at the sky. Also has all the bolts on the rotor drive hub shear when the rotor plugged. Not easy pulling the rotor out when it's plugged full of wet beans.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Dad said that the worst break down that they ever had on their 1460 was all the feeder house belts coming off and the back wheel breaking off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1688 had those rotor bolts shear. First time on a weekend and the after hour's guy didn't know about the update plate, so yeah fixed it for about one year, then it happened again. Plugged with wet beans and the elephant ears catching on the cone at the bottom. Trying to turn a plugged rotor with no drive, lovely.

The worst combine break down we ever had work wise..... Back in 1985 it was so wet and our MF 750 had a track derail in a bad mud hole. I think we sunk about 6 or 7 6 foot 6X6's trying to lift the combine to get the rollers back on the rail. I don't know how many combines left the local Massey dealer brand knew with those steel tracks that fall.

·
Registered
385 Posts
final drive snapping going the road.not fun!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
feeder chain into the rotor bent it. disc blade through a new 2388. destroyed it. hitting a bridge catching a powerline with the bubble up. catching a deadman with a 1020. not all my f up's but have seen them all locally

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I once ran a lawn mower blade through a 2388. It made a lot of noise in the rotor, and took out a few knives at the straw chopper.

-Lance

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
we don't have rocks but always something in the field it seems. ran a NH3 drag cover in my 2388. busted the vanes off messed up the chopper and set it on fire. what a deal. electric fence posts and a **** oor skunk once and a while. man I hate them skunks in a combine. ran a row cleaner into my flex draper last fall. not good

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote: a deadman with a 1020

a dead man?

I hit a rock with my 963 corn head and ruined the auger and also ran an old wood fence post into my 1020 head while dummy me was textin while runnin. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Father in law ran a jack off his disk through his 2388 in the fall of 2007. Had to put everything in new from front to back. New feeder house drum and chain, new cone with all new hardware on it, new rotor (put AFX in), new chopper rotor, all the stationary knives, and both spreaders. Wasn't a good year for him. Rotor gearbox went out before all this happened. I think he put some new sieves in too from the jack. Had a brand new 2388(internally) after all this happened. To top this all off, when he went to get it out for 2008 harvest, it wouldn't start because the rats had chewed the main wiring harness (the great big one) in the cab in two. What a mess.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
them dang mice chewed though the main wiring harness on my grandpa's 1440 and it was only about 5 yrs old to

·
Registered
728 Posts
one got down inside our mixer mill and died i wasn't there but dad and uncle bob said that it was the nastiest thing they ever had to get out!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Our case dealer was telling about having to replace the fuel tank in a 2388 because the rats chew a hole in it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
How could I forget Raccoons? 3 young ones in the feeder house just sleeping away. Take grandpa's 715 out to the field, fire it up and guess what. What a mess, it had a spike tooth cylinder. For 2 or 3 years as you would work on it you would find little pieces of hide. Then 10 years later 3 more in the feeder of our 1688, same thing.

Last year our neighbor went out to chop haylage and the shoot plugged right away. When he stuck his hand in to clean it there was a snarling **** waiting for him.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Didnt happen to us, my uncle was cutting wheat when his elephant ears flew off and put a hole through his cone. two day fix. I think he has the axcellar kit now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 1460 put a piston out the side of the block ,heading wheat for my uncle. 3 weeks it took to fix using a block off a old t line international that had caught on fire. We now have a 1480 equilavent motor on her and it has made a big difference to its capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
deadman= what they tie a telephone pole to the guidewire it was along a RR track. have ran a couple skunks through cutting beans. man that will make her stink a while. allways be sure your insuarnce covers Intake of foreign matter. those a holes always trying to slip by.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts