The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had an 04 CR970 at the start of harvest this year. The dealer that sold it to us called on day and said they had a 07 CR9070 that was a pretty good deal. We took the deal and traded combines. The CR970 left (dealer is 100 miles away) and came back within 30 miles of us to another farm. 20 hours later the hydro motor cratered ($9500) and sent shrapnel through the system. The final tally is not known, but it won't be cheap.

What does a person do? We might be known as the farmers who lie, since the current owner called us and we said it was a good machine. We didn't even want to trade (the dealer called us). But no one will believe that anymore.

Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
I think you misnamed your thread Andy, should be best.

I know how you feel, the last three tractors I've traded the transmissions cratered in 150 to 600 hours.
You feel bad but you know when it left the yard it was in good shape so you move on.
And oh, does anyone wanta buy a tractor?

Don

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Can happen to anyone, if the other farmer knows you and knows how you run your equipment he should see how you take care of things and will know its probably nothing to do with the way you run things. Its hit and miss with equipment, may run for years without any issues and you lend it to a neighbour or sell it to someone and it may turn out to be a lemon, luck of the draw. How was he running it in those 20hrs too? Some peoples deffinition of normal operation is different. Had a demo combine with 15hrs on once and the previous person to demo decided to clean up all his sloughs with it, burnt every slip clutch there was out of it. He was known as a careful operator by his neighbours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldnt even worry about, that is the luck of the draw. A combine we traded in, blew up on the next guy, it was a two year old combine with 600 hrs on it. It happens, the dealer should cover it. When we were buying one year old combines they always came with 100 hr warranty. Wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the hydro problem. Usually the pump goes first. We have changed a lot of them. Would check the grain pan of your 9070 for cracks along the edges and broken spot welds on the cross braces though

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
We had an 8850 JD tractor that we traded. Within 20 hours the hydraulic system blew up and was a $10000 fix. Shortly after that the engine blew up. I felt bad for the guy but like everyone else said, luck of the draw. I was really happy with the case 9280 for the next 10 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts