·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Hemp harvesting is not for dopes

Contrary to what most people would think, hemp is easier to harvest when green. You have to dry the seed but the material (straw) is much kinder on your machinery & your supply of vocabulary containing adjectives, than harvesting dry.
It's not wonder they make sails, bags, ropes & anything else that you don't want to break out of this stuff. The seed has multiple uses & many health benefits. If you so desire, you could try & smoke the stuff but you would get just as big of a buzz out of it as ...... smoking old socks!
The sample pictured is about 14% moisture but has to be dried to 8%. The seed is very delicate & easily damaged. Sunnybrook concaves did a fantastic job is this really tough material.
The straw, can & will wrap anywhere & everywhere it so desires. You can't pull it out - it has to be cut out with a very sharp knife.
Oh yes, it's also flammable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
What would one do with stripped hemp straw? I doubt you could mow it.

My neighbor using a regular header/front left his in windrows and burned it because it would just wrap in the chopper. Before burning them another guy tried to bale some of the windrowed straw but soon quit (I assume because of wrapping issues too). What does one do with a field of 6' tall kevlar?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Down here the straw behind the combine is baled with no issue, the bales are either burned or stored after that. The stubble can be swathed down to any height you want after harvest and baled.Some farmers use heavy harrows to make windrows to burn also.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yep, hemp is about as much like pot as canola is to wild mustard. They make look similar but they are totally different products. I believe most of the guys that grow it around here bale the stubble for the fibre market but that's been very slow to get established compared to the products from the oil in the crushed seeds. The stoners hate the stuff because it cross pollinates. With a good cross wind you can actually see it blowing across a road like smoke. Nothing unzips your wildwood weed like crossing it with a chunk of rope.
We do have a legal pot market in Canada for medical use marijuana, but the feds are in the process of getting that locked up with pharmaceutical companies before farmers can make a buck off of it. The big issue is security really. It will never be grown out in open fields. I looked into contracts after the mine in Flin Flon closed as a gov't run grow op, and was told that no new contracts were being issued. Odd how now all the announcements are about drug companies taking those contracts over. It seems they fill party coffers faster than farmers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Looks similar to a lot of the hemp harvesters I have seen. The seeds and leaves are cut separate from the straw for the same reason as most other crops. Those are where the money is, not for recreational or medicinal use on an industrial scale like these machines are designed to operate though. They use them for many other things. Straw is left to dry and dealt with later. Thats the little bit I know about hemp farming. I doubt anyone would be using a machine of this caliber to harvest for recreational users.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.