The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it looks like my season is over I want to get a few things off my chest before I forget. NOT!

Had to drop the pickup header off three times and FD1 once this fall.
Why?
When the feeder plugs the parallel drive continues to drive the header, rolling a ball so tight in a couple of seconds that both the feeder and auger are plugged.
So let me get this straight.
You have an anti plug system that works fantastic but don’t include auto feeder shut off at say a 50% feeder speed reduction?! WTF!
You use it the other way around to prevent downstream plugging.
A simple software change!
Oh wait, it gets worse!
Sometimes, (at least 3/4’s of the time) on reverser switch activation you have to wait 20 to 30 seconds for...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...
For the reverser to to reverse! WTF!!
Don’t try and and tell me this incredibly fucking annoying delay is a one off, my last three units have all done it!

The adjustment for chopper stationary knife bar slot fills with fine material slowly reducing travel not allowing withdraw of knives out of chopper.
You come up with this great from cab adjust on chopper and then let crop material fill the adjustment slot very quickly defeating the advantage?
You actually test this in the field?!

Ah, feel better now.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
....... & a good rant is a pleasure to read!

I'm pretty sure every owner of every coloured machine could (should) give an after harvest appraisal of their large hunk of depreciating steel.
After harvest, usually gives time for the heart rate to come back from "red-line" ...... & can than give a calm & critical appraisal. If the heart is still about to blow a gasket ..... after harvest (& possibly after some very good scotch) ....... then there is generally a very valid complaint that needs addressing ...... by the OEM.
Perhaps a bit of :slapping: will refocus their mind & their attention about peoples complaints ...... & a bit of :9:might gain a resolution to the problems!

I'll see how my new FD140 goes shortly. Hopefully it's all :54:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Since it looks like my season is over I want to get a few things off my chest before I forget. NOT!

Had to drop the pickup header off three times and FD1 once this fall.
Why?
When the feeder plugs the parallel drive continues to drive the header, rolling a ball so tight in a couple of seconds that both the feeder and auger are plugged.
You have an anti plug system that works fantastic but don’t include auto feeder shut off at say a 50% feeder speed reduction?! WTF!
You use it the other way around to prevent downstream plugging.
A simple software change!
Oh wait, it gets worse!
Sometimes, (at least 3/4’s of the time) on reverser switch activation you have to wait 20 to 30 seconds for...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...
For the reverser to to reverse! WTF!!
Don’t try and and tell me this incredibly fucking annoying delay is a one off, my last three units have all done it!

The adjustment for chopper stationary knife bar slot fills with fine material slowly reducing travel not allowing withdraw of knives out of chopper.
You come up with this great from cab adjust on chopper and then let crop material fill the adjustment slot very quickly defeating the advantage?
You actually test this in the field?!

Ah, feel better now.
I hate to say it Don, but you shoulda bought a Deere!!!:1:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Don, I really have to say it.

But on the feeder reverse I have probably only a 5 sec delay at most. 2014 model. But with that said I love how it reverses the reel with enough power to drag everthing off the center belt. My Case flagships dont.

But, I have to agree with you on the chopper knives. Another thing that I found annoying is the chopper bridging. I was going to change the knives around but thought I was done with green stemmed beans. NOPE. A field with artificial lights got me. No problem after switching to low speed.

I also wish they had an incab tailboard adjustment for the turbochop. Again not normally and issue, but this years crop could be nice and dry on one end and green and heavy on the other end.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Why is plugging up such an issue for you Class guys?? Maybe you need more capacity............:poking-with-stick-s

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have to agree with you on the wait time for reverse. Incredibly frustrating.

Hold the rocker, wait for it ..... wait for it.... Nothing! Reset the Switch!
Hold the rocker, wait for it ..... wait for it.... it Reverses.

Not sure what the delay is for, but doesn't even seem consistent in it's level of aggravation.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Maybe you guys should get a real header, I plugged the Vario once on a root. Did watch the FD140 reversing all the time though...

Once you owners fix that problem I think what really needs to go is the dumb Cebis warnings that cover the view of the camera when backing up!!!

I find it hilarious how the JD guys are all showing up here again. If I wasn't so annoyingly confident in my machine I might freak out.:wink:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I’ve spent about 3hrs in my new 760tt with the belt feeder house conveyor, the 7XL auger and the non adjustable from the cab stationary chopper knives, the sunnybrook drum and impeller and the Macdon FD140 and I have to admit I’m in love with the setup. At some stage she will probably break my heart, I know that, but holy crap that feeder house is quite DON ;)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Probably cause we are combining long after everybody is shut down for the night when it gets tough:sFun_nahnahna:

Well, ya, you have to just to try get as many acres done in a day as the rest of us!!:3:

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll see how my new FD140 goes shortly. Hopefully it's all :54:
Hope it works as well for you and on your machine as it did for me Rod, it’s a huge step forward.
Whether peas, barley, wheat or canola I could engine power limit feed.
Broke two fingers on rocks, actually found one while rolling a rock off the header too heavy to lift.
They even got rid of those allen screws on the drum that the heads always strip out, just normal 10 mm head bolts now.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
holy crap that feeder house is quite DON ;)
Now you’re really pissing me off!
LOL, not really, actually good news, just another Claas annoyance to me.
To throw salt in a yellow wound I think all green/white units are getting rubber belt feeders now, even 2019 yellow ones won’t.

Oh, reguarding my including auto feeder plug shutoff idea, feeder chains do not skip teeth driving forward, the skip when backing up full of material, yet another reason to include the feeder in auto shutdown, it would greatly reduce the amount of material making it less likely to occur.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Well, ya, you have to just to try get as many acres done in a day as the rest of us!!:3:
Nah.....it’s so we can get as many acres done with less combines then the rest.

Rod your belt feeder made it 2.9 hours more then the one we had. But it is super quiet

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Feeder chains certainly do skip going forward. We had it jump on our 780 and I stopped it and just hit the reverser and it jumped back right. One jump and it corrected by reversing I can live with.

The engineer that setup the reverser and the delay needs to be tarred and feathered and then strapped into a Claas in the worst swathed field we can find for a day. Is this some twisted joke? When the operator is most frustrated make him freak out by doing the rocker switch dance?
Our 17 year old 480's reverser is light years ahead. Almost instant reversing and you can't pile it up either.

YES when the feeder chain quits turning automatically shut the header off!!!! We have not had to take a pickup off a Class in the 15 year's we've had them and all and boom second day and we're pulling the pickup off because it power packed a wad of dry canola in between the auger and feeder chain.

Granted this only happened once and the new pickup is better all around except this!

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe you guys should get a real header, I plugged the Vario once on a root. Did watch the FD140 reversing all the time though...

Once you owners fix that problem I think what really needs to go is the dumb Cebis warnings that cover the view of the camera when backing up!!!
That is also annoying, don’t even like the delay to change to camera display!

SWMan, I simply do not understand the poor performance you seem to feel for FD1’s and I can assure you mine gets run harder, 150 Cruise Pilot max setting is really not enough anymore in some conditions to achieve engine power limit but we are crowding feeder house limit as it is.
In addition to needing only one header for all crops, I was in a super rolly canola field last week your Vario would have been not only useless it likely would end up damaged in the sharp draws (had to run in flex plus lateral tilt control) at the speed I was running that a fixed header to feederhouse arrangement would have allowed.

Let me get this straight, you want me to spend 130,000$’s on a supposedly better single crop header that might, MIGHT work better 1% of the time and worse in other crops?
Yeah, I’ll get right on that.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts