The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Feeder chains certainly do skip going forward. We had it jump on our 780 and I stopped it and just hit the reverser and it jumped back right. One jump and it corrected by reversing I can live with.

The engineer that setup the reverser and the delay needs to be tarred and feathered and then strapped into a Claas in the worst swathed field we can find for a day. Is this some twisted joke? When the operator is most frustrated make him freak out by doing the rocker switch dance?
Our 17 year old 480's reverser is light years ahead. Almost instant reversing and you can't pile it up either.

YES when the feeder chain quits turning automatically shut the header off!!!! We have not had to take a pickup off a Class in the 15 year's we've had them and all and boom second day and we're pulling the pickup off because it power packed a wad of dry canola in between the auger and feeder chain.

Granted this only happened once and the new pickup is better all around except this!
I haven’t had a chain skip in three seasons but when I did it was always after a feeder plug and reverse.
The 18’s have the tougher (black) slat, I bent or bowed no slats this year, a reduction of about 10 bent bad enough to be replaced and 90% of them bowed in after one season previously.
But god, is it noisy when empty!

I think anti plug shuts the feeder off if the APS slips 1/4 of a turn, shutting the feeder off at say 75% of normal speed (about a millisecond before 0%, lol) would be a zero expense to Claas improvement, in fact, why not a goodwill software update to all machines with anti plug?!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Feeder chains suck in the 17 and earlier Class machines. No support on the center drum or the slat itself to stop it from getting bent as bad. Claas is using 15 year old technology on its feeder chains and in a snow flatten crop like this year it really shows up. Either the clutch on feeder house needs to release earlier or the feeder chain needs to be tougher. Ridiculous how easy those slats bend when a rock gets sucked in.

·
Registered
473 Posts
And also it is about time to get a ladder in the grain tank so the operator can clean the window between the cab and hopper or climb in and grab a grain sample.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Feeder chains suck in the 17 and earlier Class machines. No support on the center drum or the slat itself to stop it from getting bent as bad. Claas is using 15 year old technology on its feeder chains and in a snow flatten crop like this year it really shows up. Either the clutch on feeder house needs to release earlier or the feeder chain needs to be tougher. Ridiculous how easy those slats bend when a rock gets sucked in.
You don’t have the support rings welded in?

But I agree. The slats are pretty light compared to the ones that our cx had

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
SWMan, I simply do not understand the poor performance you seem to feel for FD1’s and I can assure you mine gets run harder, 150 Cruise Pilot max setting is really not enough anymore in some conditions to achieve engine power limit but we are crowding feeder house limit as it is.
In addition to needing only one header for all crops, I was in a super rolly canola field last week your Vario would have been not only useless it likely would end up damaged in the sharp draws (had to run in flex plus lateral tilt control) at the speed I was running that a fixed header to feederhouse arrangement would have allowed.

Let me get this straight, you want me to spend 130,000$’s on a supposedly better single crop header that might, MIGHT work better 1% of the time and worse in other crops?
Yeah, I’ll get right on that.
Don you are dead wrong here and I know this for certain. I logged more than 200 hours beside a FD140 that had all the fingers in and the flighting back to where it was supposed to be according to you guys. They took the springs off the center drum in canola which got them another couple hundered bushels per hour. Here is how it went:
>Vario better in canola 100% of the time, might have been 110%. Less shatter loss from the cutters, less loss once on the table, no plugging with the Vario, able to run faster at same feeder depth due to compression of material(this may void your 150 depth) and less downtime by far due to stoppage from knife breakage and other hose/pump/etc failures.
>Cereals. Ran in both oats and wheat, record wheat crop here actually(not record other crops...). My combine with Vario ran 20-25% faster because of higher speed rotors and maybe a bit me not using cruise pilot to maximize the feedrate in a highly variable crop. I think if I had the Macdon and they had the Vario it would have been the same result, I credit the rotors not the header for that. Stubble height is much easier to control on the Vario and clipping off heads of wheat in kochia patches.
>Pulses. Yeah they left the Macdon on and I had to get the Airflex. I won't get into the low beans left behind the Macdon compared to my actual flex header, but it was noticeable. Nothing shaves like that airflex that I have seen and with the easily adjustable(from cab) air pressure I could fine tune the knife weight for reduced pushing, while the Macdon has pressure points and pushed dirt more. Earth-tag is a concern when doing seed production.

So while it is good at everything, it is definitely not the best at anything except roaring through drainage ditches at an angle. I prefer to cut those out to reduce rock ingestion.

Bottom line is when I hear all you guys complaining about feeder house plugging I see that feeding the combine properly is a big part of that. First of all throw the pickup header in the bush and secondly get a header that isn't trying to cram the entire crop mat under a dinky center drum, but rather into a positive feeding full length auger. Canvasses feed okay in ideal conditions but when things get sticky or there is friction or tangled material it won't go evenly down a canvas.

I've owned several pieces of Macdon equipment and we have the best dealer here in town, so if I felt that a Macdon header was the ticket I would have one in an instant. On the other thread comparing these two headers I held back, even stopped updating at the end because it was just plain embarrassing the difference between these headers in canola. Oh, and you are way off on the Vario price, like over 50K off.:wink:

Sorry for being off topic, but it's Don's thread and he asked. I will say that another thing that annoys me about the Lexion combine is the stone trap and how hard it is to get stuff to come out. It works though, so I shouldn't complain too hard.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Chopper bridging chopper bridging and chopperbridging ...... 670 with turbo chop was fine until the last of the standing uncured canola ....what a piss off . Slow speed works but does a poor job of chopping . Put it back to high speed and raised up tail board and it seemed to be better . When they come out with a new series I hope this issue is solved .........x2 on everything don said ....our 2018 760 has same problems

·
Registered
267 Posts
I should note that chopper bridging on our hybrid machine is basically non existent but the 670 can be a different story

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'll add a couple of minor annoyances.
Gaps: Namely the one beside the console and right side door/window. At least a few times a year the phone slides off the armrest and into that gap that is impossible to get at without opening that door, and when that door is opened the phone falls into oblivion.
The other gap that annoys me is the one between the rear cab window and tank window. Without being properly sealed off it fills with dust and dirt making it impossible to see into the tank after a short while, It wouldn't be so bad if trying to get into the tank to clean it wasn't a death defying feat.

Another minor annoyance is the feeder house fan. Why in the world would they make one side of the access panel on top of the feederhouse a quick release overcentre clamp, and the other side a bolt. Why not have a clamp on both sides.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I can echo what SWMan says on the Vario. The Macdon in no way compares in canola. Yes MAYBE if your land is so rolly that the lateral tilt can't make it up which would be insane because it lifts the whole feeder when it runs out of lateral. So if you ran out of lateral and it had to lift high enough you were stripping canola then **** remind me to kiss this flat ground.

If you are not running a knife divider you already lost. Center pan loss?? Lost again. Crap getting under the canvas when its insanely tough? Oh yeah lost again.

The Macdon is a pretty decent all around header. Running a Vario however is a real eye opener.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I logged more than 200 hours beside a FD140 ............ ..... ... ......... so I shouldn't complain too hard.

I’m probably convinced that the new 780’s with high speed rotors have the most capacity per dollar spent of any machine available. It also says a lot that it worked problem free for you as well.

Do you run your machine alongside the other for other people as well, or just bring the extra 780 in for your own work? Two of those seems like lots of combine capacity per acre for sure. Are those combines finished harvest over there now?

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Great stuff coming in, keep it up, thanks guys!:49:

Header recognization, this repeated need to recal, reset width, CAC settings, what a PITA!
Let us name the headers and CEBIS remember ALL pertinent settings for each header.

·
Registered
540 Posts
But on the feeder reverse I have probably only a 5 sec delay at most. 2014 model. But with that said I love how it reverses the reel with enough power to drag everthing off the center belt. My Case flagships dont.
We now have the 590 and a 760 and the 590 has this stupid 5 second delay but the 2012 760 is immediate when you press the reverse button. Is this Something that can be set up in cebis in tech mode??

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I am TOTALLY with you. #1 PITA. Header recognition, even just having a single saved setting set for each crop type (Select wheat, one set of header settings; select corn, another set) would reduce the # of service calls I field on Lexion ...a LOT.
I think the big wheels at CLAAS still can't understand that NA farmers use the same combine for several different crops that mature at the same time...and switch heads back and forth regularly. This fall was another "combine corn from 9am-1pm and beans from 1pm-8pm" year.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts