The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

This is my first post on here - i've been a long time lurker, and I really enjoy the site. I'm located in western ND, where the primary crops are durum, HRSW, canola, flax, peas, lentils, along with other crops like safflower, corn, chickpeas, and flowers that are grown but i do not personally raise.

Anywho, to my situation -

I will be in the market for a new (used or new) drill for next spring. I'm currently running a FC 5000, on 7.5" with a 350 TBH tank. I've gone from NH3 to spreading urea and I really like not handling ammonia.

I've got plenty of neighboring fields to look at, and this has been a great year to look at fields. We had decent seeding conditions, but things have been awesome since - plenty of moisture. I have totally been blown away by what i've been seeing both in my fields and others - the disk drills all around me look simply amazing. The hoe drills, both mine and others, look better than ever but just dont have the evenness about them as disk drills.

In my area, Deere has the market on disk drills. There is great support for them, so really its it the only color i'm interested in. I've been around a fair number of them, and i think plenty on here will agree that while the tool on them is great, the air carts leave much to be desired...

Ive only been around 2 Bourgault carts before - there isn't a lot of them in my area, but I know there is a fair number in neighboring parts of the country. They seem to be "the Cadillac" of carts.

Would it be crazy to entertain putting a Bourgault cart behind a JD drill? Would it work? Any complications that could come from trying to mate them up? Thoughts?

Sorry for the longish post, just trying to share some background.

Thanks!

Owl

·
Registered
364 Posts
Any tank can be hooked up to any bar. Just got to get the right plumbing.
Go bourgault accurate, reliable, better built & have a better bin split ratio.
You can also run the bourgalt through your 2630 screen. All you need is a wiring loom & dry rate controller. Section control is also a possibility but not tested yet.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I run a bourgault 6550 now with 4 tank metering the cart is very easy to run product down what ever row you want and can run tanks together or separate. The deluxe auger is nice for filling from semi and also the bag lift for bagged product. The platform out front is large enough to carry extra bags. When putting down 180lbs of 46-0-0 you get right around 80ac per fill so one stop per quarter. Clean out is very nice too.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I would go green all the way. John deere carts are nicer than bourgault. Bourgault carts are cave man tech
I don't know where you're from that JD carts are nicer than Bourgault. The monitor on mine I will agree is crap(491) but I'm hoping to fix that soon.

Aside from that, I give Bourgault the advantage in almost every regard.

·
Registered
758 Posts
why would you even want the JD disc drill! bourgault all the way! even Sunflower is better, as far as cart JD is one of the poorest out there not saying there bad just everyone else is better, for me I run CaseIH 400 and 3380 but thinking of switching to Morris contour drill and Morris sectional control cart. Bourgault makes one heck of a good disc drill and there carts are one of the best ! good luck shopping !

·
Registered
379 Posts
I run a Deere 1910 430 bu and I don't mind it at all extremely accurate within 1% consistently with wheat, canola, peas, flax, oats, millet and fertilizer. Easy clean out simple to work on. It is not the biggest but it is also not the heaviest. My only complaint is the hitch system, on one hand I like it to because it can back up but on side hills with a hoe drill seeding shallow it helps the drill skew a bit, crop comes fine just rows look crooked for a bit. If you are spreading urea then your N needs are covered so is a large tank needed? I run ammonia so cart handles granular fert and seed. I don't mind stopping every 100 acres to fill I like to get out of the cab every 3 hours and stretch anyway.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Hi everyone -

This is my first post on here - i've been a long time lurker, and I really enjoy the site. I'm located in western ND, where the primary crops are durum, HRSW, canola, flax, peas, lentils, along with other crops like safflower, corn, chickpeas, and flowers that are grown but i do not personally raise.

Anywho, to my situation -

I will be in the market for a new (used or new) drill for next spring. I'm currently running a FC 5000, on 7.5" with a 350 TBH tank. I've gone from NH3 to spreading urea and I really like not handling ammonia.

I've got plenty of neighboring fields to look at, and this has been a great year to look at fields. We had decent seeding conditions, but things have been awesome since - plenty of moisture. I have totally been blown away by what i've been seeing both in my fields and others - the disk drills all around me look simply amazing. The hoe drills, both mine and others, look better than ever but just dont have the evenness about them as disk drills.

In my area, Deere has the market on disk drills. There is great support for them, so really its it the only color i'm interested in. I've been around a fair number of them, and i think plenty on here will agree that while the tool on them is great, the air carts leave much to be desired...

Ive only been around 2 Bourgault carts before - there isn't a lot of them in my area, but I know there is a fair number in neighboring parts of the country. They seem to be "the Cadillac" of carts.

Would it be crazy to entertain putting a Bourgault cart behind a JD drill? Would it work? Any complications that could come from trying to mate them up? Thoughts?

Sorry for the longish post, just trying to share some background.

Thanks!

Owl

Based on the reasons you have stated creating your desire to buy, I'd say they are largely dependent on the results you have observed behind the John Deere disc opener. This is no doubt on farms experienced with the opener and the needed residue management or soil surface preparation to get the result you have seen.

At the present time the Deere opener is likely the benchmark for placing the majority of the seeds at or near the bottom of the furrow. Largely because the seed is controlled all the way to the placement.

Since you have chosen to broadcast your nitrogen, you likely only need a single shoot cart, which makes sense for an 1890, otherwise you would have the extra expense of an 1895. This begs the question, how big of cart do you want?

Considering there is a limit to how much fertilizer you can put with the seed in such a narrow furrow, with a Deere 550 bushel cart you could likely carry enough fertilizer to do as much as 300 acres in one fill and need to have the balls to dump $15000.00 of canola in the bottom of the centre tank to go the distance. That's all day in a lot of real word situations. Also if you stuff it full of wheat and 11-52-0, you better have a big horse on the front if it's at all soft in the fields.

If you were to buy an old un-maintained 1910 cart, at some point you can expect to buy dozens of expensive bits to refresh the metering assemblies, but it will never be a rusted out hulk sitting in the grass.

Monitors are no longer just monitors on air drills, they are now controllers. John Deere monitors are very intuitive to operate and have a tutorial and sequential way of guiding you down the pathway to get you configured, calibrated and running with minimal frustration. The X30 is opposite. It will defeat the average human being without some training and ongoing self learning. IMO the programmers need some training from the real world operators.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
We bought a bourgault 3710 coulter drill this spring. Nothing but excellent things to say. I strongly recommend anyone go into this big a purchase open minded. Bourgault takes care of their customers, reps will spend time in the field if u have issues. We bought a 60' with a 6550 tank with 4 tank metering. Putting all dry fert down and have no trouble travelling up to 6 mph, canola a little slower. Able to do 80 acre fills as well and takes about 30 mins to fill. Can do 160 acres in 4.5 - 5 hours.
The crop looks awesome so far, soybeans, canola and cereals. Initially I wasn't thinking bourgault but sure glad I bought one!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have been tossing around the idea of putting a jd 1895 in front of my bourgault cart also. I don't like to miss match for resale. Jd disk drill is proven and seems to do a fairly good job. But I have never ran one. I have bourgault 3710 now. Bourgault tanks are great. Go third party controllers and have what ever you want in your cab!

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I'm intrigued by the idea of a John Deere controller, I just wouldn't have thought the software was done to run five meters. It would be nice to use the Deere row monitors too. Has anybody done this?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I'm intrigued by the idea of a John Deere controller, I just wouldn't have thought the software was done to run five meters. It would be nice to use the Deere row monitors too. Has anybody done this?
The Deere dealer in Minot, ND has done some BG tanks with 2630 displays, not sure of the number of tanks. Personally I wouldn't bother, you would lose the sectional control on your BG tank. The Deere tank has sectional control by the meter remaining the same speed & gates opening & closing for each manifold. BG speeds up & slows down their meters plus using gates to control manifolds. The Deere controller wouldn't be designed for that, or would require someone with some really good computer programming skills.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
My salesman who sells both JD and Bourgault says he has never heard of anyone successfully using the 2630 monitor with a Bourgault cart.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Jd sell bourgault in Australia. So most of the bins are going out with the 2630 ready to roll. Jd Gps guy has spoken to bourgault rep & the conclusion is it should be easy to run section control through 2630. No extra software is needed it's all ready there.
The 700 series hasn't long been in Australia & with the price tag an extra $70000 + over the 600 series the economics don't really stack up to buy one as yet. So it might be awhile until it gets tested here.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I think the X30 is technically brilliant. It just strikes me as though someone secured the pathways to turn itself on and let someone make it work like a farm machine. It's as if it was designed by Agent 86 and the Chief under the cone of silence with Class A Security and no one ever considered that were not all Control Agents. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
I think the X30 is technically brilliant. It just strikes me as though someone secured the pathways to turn itself on and let someone make it work like a farm machine. It's as if it was designed by Agent 86 and the Chief under the cone of silence with Class A Security and no one ever considered that were not all Control Agents. :)

Get Smart cone of silence 1 - YouTube
Haven't seen that in over 40 years.:)

Struggled a bit with the X30's complexity I gather?:confused:
Good!
Thought I was alone.;)

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Someone's showing their age! lol.
I take it you mean because I can't understand why a giant tablet isn't twisted a 1/4 of a turn to sit in the cab beside the dash, which doesn't really exist anymore, with the menu displayed across the top, AND all of the episodes of Get Smart are vaguely familiar to me. :cool:

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Even sideways it does sit in that position quite nicely, but it was a hard decision to block the view of the fender or an exhaust pipe the size of a 50 gallon barrel that those special little windshield wipers keep clear. WTF?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've used ag leader integra controllers on bourgault carts. They work great no bugs or glitches. Simple to use also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts