The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the go! I'm 20 year old here in Qld Australia on the family farm and been thinking about getting a good little combine to do our own work plus few neighbours crops. Got a few details that the owner sent through. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great thanks.

1981 international 1480
6249 eng hrs,
150hrs on new:
-motor
-hydro pump
-hydraulic pump
-front tyres
0hrs on new:
-pto shaft, seals & bearing
-seperator clutch
-engine mounts

Hydro motor ok
Transmission ok
Lh final drive needs new seal
Air con not working
Needs new cab apulstory
May need new live axel couplers in the next few hundred hrs ($30 x4)
Rotor box ok
Feeder box ok
Unload auger boxes ok
Need new elevator drive chain in next few hundred hrs (2 lengths of rs50)
Rear tyres need replacing in a few seasons
All other belts and chains look reasonable.
There are 2 oil leaks on it we will be fixing and it has $500 new hyd hoses on it.
Comes with a set of concaves and paddock ready.

Comes with 30' 810 rigid auger front w/pickup reel.
Sorghurm fingers, sunny trays & trailer come with.
Floor of the front needs re-sheeting and the reel needs attention, but it can & will harvest as is.

$18000+the jesus with front and trailer, paddock ready

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I think you can do a fair bit of negotiating on the price. If that machine were here in my area of the USA, I could buy it a might closer to 10,000. Maybe not make it quite that low, but close.

Otherwise, the 1480 is a good machine and has probably the most aftermarket and factory update parts and kits for it. Much of the machine is still supported by the factory. What parts are not, are updatable and/or available used.

You did'nt say how many acres/hectares you plan for it, but to do very many, you'd need to make certain the front is repaired and in good order. The performance of any combine starts at the reel and cutter. It must be in good order.

I'm pretty sure the 81' year still had the mechanical header controls? That part is ok until you get into a job that has you constantly moving the control levers.

I think it also has the cross auger in the hopper rather than the incline. Again, works ok, and is simple in design. But you'll have to keep that note handy when ordering parts for the elevator system.

When people talk about the finals being weak, though they are smaller, the weak point is the wheel shaft and hub. It is a two piece deal and are prone to cracking and breaking. But there are a lot of machines that ran them for many, many thousands of hours trouble free.

The other priority components to look at are the rear axle and all tires. The rear axle will break and is especially weak at the pivot tube. Look that over good. Tire are very expensive to replace these days. So I would take the condition of the tires into account when negotiating. If they are cracked and in bad shape, either negotiate new/newer tires on it, or use that as a pry tool to get the price way down. The condition of tires really is not an opinion matter. You both can plainly see from the outside what condition they are in. This makes it an easy target for negotiating leverage.

IMO.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Check all the wear surfaces. The feederhouse floor, the cone, augerbeds under the concaves and under the clean grain auger and return auger. If it has a rear beater rock it back and forth to check for play. A little is ok. If a seal is leaking on a final drive it could easily be more than a seal. In my part of the world I doubt that combine with header would bring $10000 even with the new engine and hydro.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys, yeah it is showing wear on the beater and rotor but I've been told has about 1000hrs left in it.

Yeah doorknob hoping to do at least 600 acres of cereal crops if not more if I went out and chased it. may get some summer crops sorghum (milo) and millit crops. So may nearly get 1000/1200ac all up in a year. Local Dealer has a 1644 and 2166, the 2166 has 2750 rotor hours and comes with 25ft front and is in amazing condition but of course paying more money for it.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,879 Posts
That price isn't too bad. You can't compare to overseas 2nd hand market. The trailer is prob $3-4 k, and the other accessories $2k brings the thing back to near $15k. That's reasonable. It will earn you some easy money as long as nothing big fails. Even then there's plenty of them things over here so Neil's would prob have everything you might need.

Just keep the rates up where they should be!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I guess you never know unless you try. The deal sounds ok, maybe offer $15k. It's an old header and there won't be too many people rushing in to grab it. Sure up your contract work though Brad to make sure you get a return on your investment. There are far better things a 20 year old should be spending his money on than clapped out farm machinery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, yeah auscocky I'm starting to think that. Yeah I'm going to wait and see how the season goes before I get real serious and make sure I have the area to justify it. Couple headers wideland group have that are not to bad. Problably make more money driving headers for greentrees.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I paid 16k inc gst..for my 7720 with bat and Tyne plus trailer...3800 hrs...so it's kind of close but a bit dear for hours and age....personally if you don't need ASAP...save another 10k and get a 9600....well built and cheap to maintain....IMO...as soon as I can afford I'm grabbing one as well...if there's any still working !!

Ant...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks X80 I will check them out. Yeah I got money there to buy 50g plus header but I'm not setting out to make millions but don't want lose money either so see what contract work I can get then get a header to fit the budget.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Hey Spreaderbrad.
With a bargain machine like that, you`ll be able to roam the country, undercutting all those other contractors on price. You`d get plenty of work.:)
You could charge say $10 dollars/acre for wheat and say $12 for Chickpea!;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah lynas well at the moment the neighbour that cuts for us and for other fellas in the area charges $18/acre so even $16 is cheaper

·
Registered
549 Posts
I guess you never know unless you try. The deal sounds ok, maybe offer $15k. It's an old header and there won't be too many people rushing in to grab it. Sure up your contract work though Brad to make sure you get a return on your investment. There are far better things a 20 year old should be spending his money on than clapped out farm machinery.
x2

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
Wow, what a bunch of wet blankets you guys are!

There are far better things a 20 year old should be spending his money on than clapped out farm machinery.
Yes but there are also worse things and maybe this is a good way to build both experience and character.:)

Just because his dream doesn't follow yours that doesn't make it bad.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Yes but there are also worse things and maybe this is a good way to build both experience and character.:)

I think Auscocky is just being real, not trying to crush Spreaderbrad's dreams. We're talking about a 32 year old combine with over 6000 hours here; without seeing it in person none of us can say if it really is a good machine or not. Sure, it may have a new engine and hydraulic pumps, but does the grain tank have any holes? What about the clean grain elevator? Auger bed? Transition cone, vanes, rasp bars? I could keep going, but the point is what might seem like a good idea now might turn into a money pit later. Ultimately this is Brad's decision.

Unless I got the years wrong, '81s had the older final drives with three bolts in the middle of the hub. They updated it in '82 or '83 to a single bolt. That's supposed to be stronger, but can still cause problems. Make sure those bolts stay properly torqued. On that note, finals from a 1680 (with a one piece hub) will work and are much better.

I think the deal-breaker for me would be the mechanical controls. It was '82 when they introduced electro-hydraulics to the header and reel lift, and the unloading auger. Otherwise, 1480s are good machine, you just have to keep in mind the age. And if you have to replace the cab interior, invest in some Dyna Mat (or something similar) for sound deadening; the cab is quieter than not having one, but not by much.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think the deal-breaker for me would be the mechanical controls. It was '82 when they introduced electro-hydraulics to the header and reel lift, and the unloading auger.
I think '81... The 1460 we got is an '81 and has the electro-hydraulics. Would have been the first year they had them though.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Don, I'd bet his dream and my dream at that age would be so close you couldn't differentiate.;)
It's just that I'm 28 years older than him and have been there, done that and made all the mistakes that you learn from and as he is a local fellow, I'm just passing on my thoughts (for what they're worth) My advise was, you won't know unless you try. I have bought gear, including a cheap high hour header with aspirations of doing contract work to make a few extra bucks, but small jobs here on the Downs are few and far between, not consistent work and if you do the sums, unviable. But having you own machine to take your own crop off when it's ready rather than wait for a contractor could see the header paid for in one season.
One thing I do know, equipment doesn't go up in value and you have to get a return on your investment.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Haha, yeah auscocky I'm starting to think that. Yeah I'm going to wait and see how the season goes before I get real serious and make sure I have the area to justify it. Couple headers wideland group have that are not to bad. Problably make more money driving headers for greentrees.
Brad, why don't you go contract spreading? It's more of a niche market and you will pick up a lot of local work. There is a mountain of organic matter coming out of Luggage Point and delivered somewhere near Cecil Plains. Have you looked at getting involved with that? I see manure spreading as a growth industry.;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Auscocky One thing I do know said:
In most cases I'd agree, but it always amazes me when I see dealers, obviously targeting hobby farmers, advertising old tractors like ie. Power Major Fordsons, for upwards of $5000. I can remember Dad paying $1500 for one back in the late 70's. And don't I wish I still had the old Lanz Bulldogs that he used to have.
But I do agree that investing in old gear can have its downfalls.
However, for a young guy like Brad just starting out it is the only way. Just need a bit of luck as far as mechanical issues goes and a good work ethic and it could be the start of something much bigger and better. Good luck Brad and I hope it works out well for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts