The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are looking at upgrading one of our air drills, looking at going from a 45ft NH /flexicoil 5000 air drill to a one year old 1870 w/550bu tbh cart. We are also running a 58 ft version of the NH in cereals so the conservapak will primarily be doing canola. Just looking for some input from guys out there who are running them. Are they everything they are hyped up to be or should a guy maybe be looking at a seedhawk? Bourgault is absolutely out of the question! I could buy two brand new 1870's for the price of one 3320! Any input or thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've had one for a couple of years now and like it. I have nh3 with section control also on mine which I really like. With a 430 tank and variable rate on the nh3 can do about 100 acres per fill. Have had very good service on the nh3 so that has not been a problem. Have the paired row opener which I like but at lot of single row out there also, would have to say probably a little better on seed placement on canola with single row. Know of a few guys with the single row going very low on their seeding rates. I like the fact it needs very little hydraulics to operate. Another real plus is that in wet condition I can still have enough pressure to hold the fertilizer knife in the ground but turn the packing pressure right down so that it does not over pack. This is because of the 2 separate cylinders, no other hoe type drill could I do this on. Also talking to a few people that had other brands, because they needed a fair bit of cylinder pressure to get the fertilizer knife to stay in the ground, when the went through higher organic soil it would tend to bury the seed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've had one a couple of years myself. Had lots of trouble the first year but that was caused by the outfit that put it together in Mundare. Make sure it has the updated turn buckles on the caster wheels and the updated seed boot clamps. I have the single row seed opener but I might change to paired row this year so any cereals I swath are better supported by the stubble. Good drill for when the going gets wet, I haven't been stuck with it yet and have seeded threw stuff my old gang packer drill wouldn't get close to without getting stuck. Crops come up nice and even in my hills. Only other thing I might change is the mud scrapers to roto scrapers.

Seed hawk and seed master have some good ideas as well but I don't like the length of their shank design and drill frame. If your land is straight back and forth going they would be fine. I farm a lot of hilly pothole filled terrain so I have to turn a lot and the shanks stay put very well where as one of the seed twins drills I'm sure the shanks would be moving side to side a lot due to the length of the shank design.

I think bourgault builds a good product but I'm not sold on the mid row banding idea. I wish they'd offer more drills without them. I'm not sure a para link works well without mid row banders.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
They don't work at all in wet gumbo.
Most other soils seem to work well.

They pull up more rocks, which really showed up this year after the snow laid the crop flat.

Good, economical drill in the right soil.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The packer wheels on an 1870 have an arm on each side of the packer wheel. In sticky clay the mud and straw jam in there and the packer wheels quit turning.

Because the fertilizer point runs deep it flips up the wettest and stickiest mud.

Even before it gets that bad the packer wheel flips the seeds out as the seed trench runs on the side of the packer wheel and the mud scraper runs on the top of the wheel.

Having the cultivator tires in the frame the gumbo really sticks to them as the front drill openers flip moist clay in front of the frame tires.

It's not an every year event, but if you get rain showers every few days the 1870 won't work in my sticky gumbo.

Other soils and they work very well. Universal airdrill they are not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We Have had 2 Units over 5 years now. Really like the larger cart, The hydraulic drives have been less trouble than the VR carts before it.

We farm lighter very rocky soil, the unit pulls up less rocks than our 5000 Flexi Coil used to, It was not uncommon to break off 2-4 stealth tips on a 120 Acre field. The 1870 just trips out over them.

Also find the unit to throw less soil over rows at higher speeds and get great germination. Have been using paired row set-up which I think makes you have to step up the weed control program as the crop canopy closes slower.

The yields have been better overall and the family is very happy with the drill. We achieved over 20K acres on the first set of fertilizer tips. Even as busy as the drill frame looks there was less maintenance then the Flexi 5000.

The drill was traded off last July and used the Hydraulic 550 Cart this spring. Like the fact that the motors on the rollers seem to have no limit in how fast they could spin, ( Not limited by the Transmission ) The cart full can really push the drill around on hills and one has to be aware of were you go with it.

A much cheaper but durable alternative to the Bourgault PHD. Field finish looked sometimes horrible but I'm more concerned about the end result. Trash clearance was very good also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First year for us with one this year. Loved the drill, amazing placement. Cart was extremely accurate and having only one monitor in the cab was nice. If you are using all dry product and medium to higher rates, the fan will limit, especially when putting most of the product down one run like in canola. Changing our fan to something larger this winter.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Went from a 45 series SH with 500bu SH tank:mad::mad: to an 1870 & 430bu JD tank:):D.

The SH tool was OK, but too much hydraulic requirement IMO. I won't start with the cart...

One season on the 1870 and we are happy with it, seeded well where it wasn't too wet to reasonably grow, after that it was just an abnormally wet year. The cart is accurate. There are options now too to put on Deere's version of sectional control on new carts and on '14 model carts too I believe. As well as an aftermarket leg to go on the bottom of the conveyor to fit under hopper trailers.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input so far, the unit we are looking at doesn't come with a monitor, have any of you or anyone for that matter married a deere setup with a pro 700/intelliview 4 monitor in your tractors?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Thanks for all the input so far, the unit we are looking at doesn't come with a monitor, have any of you or anyone for that matter married a deere setup with a pro 700/intelliview 4 monitor in your tractors?
That would be a question for the dealers to ponder. In theory it should work...

A JD2630 for the cart would be around 6k. Off this you could also run a sectional control setup if you're banding NH3 or 28-0-0. I have my liquid set up in 4 sections and it works really well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We run a tbt 430 bu cart and 350 tbh(1910) cart with a pro700 monitor works fine just plug it in and it comes up in the vt screen. Just like they say it should. We were a little worried it would not work and we would have to mount a 2600 in the cab. Worst case scenario we would have done that if the software didn't match up. Both the case guys and JD guys mentioned they were shure it would work and if it didn't they could try some updates.

It makes the whole buying and mounting a separate monitor for the drill seem so 1990's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Owned one for 2 yrs 430 tbt 56ft 1870, had packer wheels plugging up in muddy conditions, changed all packer wheels after 2nd yr all bearings were shot, depth shims would work there way out and lift cylinders would snap at yoke I see they have pinned them into place since. It pulled really hard in our soil and wore out the fert tips with in 5000 ac. Sold it and went for a 66ft paralink 6700 cart best move ever!

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Owned one for 2 yrs 430 tbt 56ft 1870, had packer wheels plugging up in muddy conditions, changed all packer wheels after 2nd yr all bearings were shot, depth shims would work there way out and lift cylinders would snap at yoke I see they have pinned them into place since. It pulled really hard in our soil and wore out the fert tips with in 5000 ac. Sold it and went for a 66ft paralink 6700 cart best move ever!
what were you seeding into concrete? Of all the guys I have talked to I have had a general consensus on tips of anywhere from 12-20k acres and the guys at 12 were in hard gumbo type soil so...... What can I say..... I don't have 650 K to buy a bourgault and I am not a fan of MRB'S

·
Registered
680 Posts
I went from an older spring can style with a 2320 cart to a seedmaster with onboard tanks only. Very happy with the switch. Conserva pak was pulling up a lot of rocks in our fields and took more horsepower.
Main reason for the switch was to increase width. Priced out a JD as well but with only 40 and 56 widths available and price out to lunch made seedmaster an easy decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ran one for 3 years. Fert runs always plugging. Turn buckles always loosen off and throw the depth out. Large frame mud scrapers fall off or loosen as well and then egg the bolt holes out. Pulls hard like Anderson openers which takes more fuel. This thing can't go through **** as far as trash goes. Spent many hours going in circles to try and drop the trash out after plugging. That deep running fert knife will find every rock on the farm, flip it out on top of the ground so you can pick it later. Needs more daily maintenance than most other drills as making sure something hasn't loosened off or fell off. I've had 4 deere drills in more than 15 years and now I seed with a Bourgault 3320 QDA. I used to dread seeding time. Now I'm already excited for seeding this spring. A lot of you fellas complain about the cost of the Bourgault, but after seeding a season with it, I'm glad I wrote that check

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks as if though we may have come to terms on a drill, still looking to see if anyone else has tied the Deere into the intelliview IV/pro 700 , seems if we can't do this its gonna be through a 2600 display

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.