The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and I farm 3300 acres of corn, wheat, and soybeans in eastern SD. My dad has been a die hard Case IH guy from day 1. Myself I'm more about buying equipment where I can get the best deal and the best service from regardless of the color. And frankly, the Case IH dealer in my hometown is terrible. So when we buy a new combine this winter we are thinking about going green.

Currently we run a 1997 2188. It has around 3000 hours on it I believe. Not sure off the top of my head. We would be looking at getting either a 9760 or a 9770. If we were to stay with Case we would probably get a 7010. Just curious how these machines compare and which one would be the better one? One of the things that really makes us nervous is that we are always hearing around here that John Deere combines are more expensive then Case and much more expensive to work on. Is there any truth behind that? Last question is about headers. We hear that the Hydraflex is not that great of a header and we are thinking about getting a 35' Macdon Flexdraper instead. Any thoughts on which head is better?

Also if anyone has some experience and/or thoughts on switching from Case to JD I would love to hear them!

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you have to be talked into it, you better stay with red. Your dad would never let you hear the end of it if it did not work out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not so much that I have to be talked into it, I was just looking for someone with actual experience switching from red to green to say whether they are as hard and expensive to maintain as we hear they are, or if that's all just BS.

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I go through an STS it's always in the 5 digit range without reaching the 1000 sep. hour mark.

The age old reverser problem is still not fixed. I have seen a 70 series with a leaking reverser already. No other brand has a gear box on the feeder house. I think variable gearboxes like Case has on the 8010 are the future.

I don't know anything about the 7010. I have been through 1688s and found them much simpler to repair than STS.

In six years of custom harvesting with MacDon heads I have come to the utmost appreciation for the simplicity and longevity of their 962/963 heads. I have never touched a wobble box (knife drive) on those. We ran them into foundations (not on purpose of course) and drug them upside down on the road. They always ran again after a couple of hours with the torch and welder.
I have replaced a number of cutter bars and other broken/wore out parts on hydraflexes. One head was in the 5 digit range just for parts after harvesting in rocky fields. It takes electronic to run a hydraflex. That makes it more vulnerable. A 974 MacDon does without.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the kind of info I was looking for. I think between that and reading the rotor loss thread that we'll stick with the Case. Just have to put up with the crappy service. Thank you guys for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Now I understand why all the hardcore green guys around here trade their combines and heads every couple of years.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh Bull effing chit!!!
We combined alot of edible beans last year that were supposed to be pulled and combined. This means that they had been inter row cultivated and all the stones were sitting right on top. Do you know how many stones we put into that thing...it would fill a wheelbarrow.
And guess what...NO problem. We had to replace a couple of $20 paddles that go on the feed accelerator...whippity do.
There seems to be a huge contingentcy of coffee shoppers on this board that like to, or feel they lhave to slam deere, for some reason.

Ask people who run them, not some bunch of wannabe's that 'heard this and that'.
I just ordered my 3rd 9760 and they WILL combine ALOT of crop in an hour with little loss and DON'T (at least in 3 years I have not had a break doen) break down in the field. While the newer red ones do have some newer tech, they have been, and continue to be more troublesome than they should be.
A 8010 will out do a 9760 (or a 9860 for that matter) in corn, but in wheat they are very close. I will put my 9760 up against a 7010 in ANY crop any day and I would bet at they end of the season I will have more acres done with less breakdowns...period.
As far as repairs, if you get the high wear package, you will go a LONG time before you have to do any repairs. All the augers on my machine are made of HEAVY IRON, they are going to last a long time.
In corn we combine 70-80 tonne (85-95 ton) per hour DELIVERED (not moniter) and in wheat we DELIVER 35 tonne or better per hour all while having the BEST samples at the elevator.
Our wheat fields are showing the LEAST green behing the separator this year and all my neighbours run red.
These are good, solid machines that will get the job done with very few problems...but maybe that doesn't interest everybody.
The new red machines look promising, but they have let their customers do ALOT of the final R and D. I can only imagine if Deere had the amount of problems they did...these boards would have shut down because they couldn't handle the traffic!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
The newer STS [and retrofitted older ones] have had the rock and foreign object issues rather wel resolved. Gleaner, I know what you're talking about. I saw a brand-new 9750 come into Ulysses some years back, its first farm used on, and an auger finger broke off, went through the rotor and basically gutted that poor combine. The rotor and concaves were basically totaled, but after much to-do, were replaced. It was most likely just because of that individual and a few unfortunate others, that the new stone trap was added.

Anyway, back to Hahler2's original question, I can only add that a good dealer and especially parts and service are EVERYTHING!!! It's not so much about beng married to this or that color, as it is how long can you stay in the field? How well will you stay in the field?

Hahler2, I don't want to start any kind of family feud, but the issue is about your crops being harvested in due time. If you go with John Deere, for the better service and back up, at least try it for the combine--a machine whose downtime factor is most crucial. It may be fine to just keep the tractors status quo, too. If such happens, you will not be the first, nor the last, whose bine did not go with the color of the rest of the machinery on a farm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well said kinzepower,we too had a 9650 for 2 years and never broke a tine or paddle.we ran it beside 9600 ,(very reliable machine!!) and it stayed in the field as long or longer.we have now traded to 3 9860 pre that we got with 120 sep hours,with bent concaves but no tines were replaced.AND we farm firlds that are covered in rocks i'll post pics of our rocks later on

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that EVERY slat on the feeder chain had to be straigtened at least once...that's how many rocks it took in. Certainly the vast majority went into the stone trap, but not all.
Another thing to consider, when I heard a stone go into the trap, THE TRAP GOT DUMPED!!!
If you leave it in there and then another stone happens along the same place the chances of it going through are alot higher as it can't fall into the trap.
I run my machine for all it has most of the time, but that does not mean neglectiing the obvious or just plain abusing it.
Knowing what I have put through this thing with no damage, I can't imagine what it would take to bend the concaves...yikes.
We have been trading regurlarly, BUT only because we have gotten a awesome deal to trade. The combine is equiped and maintained as if I might have it for 10 years...who knows, I might.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I have never seen a STS with out a stone trap, from the early to the late models. Also you need to clean the stone trap out for it to work. Yes when a auger finger brakes that is steel it could do damage to any combine, that is why they went to a composite finger. I've heard stores from the CIH tech. we have working at the store of rotors and other damage because of metal or objects going through the combine, it can and dose happen to any combine. Hahler2 if you look at the past post of the ones that say don't buy a John Deere, do you notices that they do not like JD, of what they have posted before or some have never ran a JD STS. Yes John Deere stores are some of the best if not the best, service is top of the line, we will help you into the evenings, over the week ends, can get parts at the store or over night, also open on Sundays and also the sales will give you the best. I have seen with the CIH tech. that when he rebuilt's a combine it cost is about the same as a JD. It all wears the more you use them, that is true for everything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the excellent responses! It's great to have a lot of info from people who have some experience with the JD combines. Most farmers in my area are red, so there's not many people I can go to to talk to them. As far as the rock thing, not an issue in my area. We don't have rocks here. Period. I've never picked a single rock in my life. Only thing that ever gets run through our combines is the occasional tool that accidently gets left in the header when we're working on it. Reliability and uptime is VERY important to us because we keep our combines for a long time. This last one we've had for 10 years now. We like to do a lot of the work ourselves also. As much as possible anyway. I think really the determining factor will be price. One other question. Is there enough of a difference on the new 70 series combines to wait a year and see if there are some used ones out or would a 60 series be good enough? Also, what are some problem areas to watch out for when looking for a used machine?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hahler2,
I have been studying, and asking some of the same questions you have. I currently own a 9600, and want another combine to go with it. I have considered a 96 or 9760, and also considered another 9600.
From what I gather, it would be just fine to go ahead and spring for the 60 series. Now, if you were asking about the 50 vs 60 series, I would definitely tell you to go with the 60...but I believe JD has the 60 series up to snuff, big time. Yeah, the 70 series have some differences, but none so much for you to wait on a 70, in my opinion.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I agree, find a good 9760 and you will be happy. Most of the 70 series changes were made for the 98 only. A 9770 is not hardly any different from a 9760. The only significant changes are HP and elevator capacity...all which can be retrofitted.
Oh and BTW, where did you here that the hydroflex is not a good header?????
Most red guys around here even seem to think they work good, myself, I love it. Best flex on the market.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you have dealer problems, i would stay away from the new X010's. Look in the Case IH forum under the topic of AFX8010 fan speed.
Like I mentioned earlier, the new IH's have some newer tech. The trouble is that the jury is still out as whether or not it is more or less productive in the long term. With new tech, you had better have a GOOD dealer.
If the poster in the aforementioned thread is having fan speed troubles, I would be concerned. These type of gremlins be very expensive both in replacement cost and downtime.
Again a good dealer is ALL the difference, if your dealer is sufficiently equiped they can let you have a combine to keep going if there is some timeliness issues with a repair then no need to worry. Although this can still be a PITA, you are still moving forward.
I would recommend you stay with the older series 25XX IH if you have dealer concerns.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We have 3 john deere rotor combines now (9660,9760,9870) and love them. If you want a reliable combine and one that can push acres thruogh get the 9760. The 9760 has been a very good combine for us, even when we had 9750s we never had any trouble with them. Just remember that your combine (no matter what color) is only as good as the dealer standing behind it. SERVICE IS EVERYTHING!!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
interesting comments on the stones going through STS combines.....the local JD dealer had 2 9660s in their shop this fall(when I took my 5400 tractor in for repairs) for all new elements on the rotors. one was from a stone the other they didn't know what caused the damage...the mechanic that booked my tractor in, said they promise their combine customers that they will have same day service when something goes through the rotor....it is such a big problem that JD went from metal header fingers to plastic (that wore out fast) back to metal one that break off inside the feeder drum and are pulled inside. so that they don't take out the rotor elements...I think anyone putting stones through a JD STS and doesn't have any damage is really lucky.....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You defenitly want a macdon flex draper no matter what combine you get...

36ft or 40.. that 40 is kinda hard to justify on price tho...

Do you have another local case dealer (stretch the word local a bit) maybe????

I had a rogator sprayer and used a agco dealer 2 hrs away and it was a pain in the butt and i thought haveing a dealer so far was a terrible deal..

But i didn't really want a jd sprayer either..

so after alot of t alking with guys i decided to get a case 4260 and my dealer is still 2 hrs away but when i call them i get all parts next day and answer's to my questions

And im very happy with them.. So maybe distance isn't very very important..just the dealer and how they treat you.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts