The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1987 year and I wonder if it will handle an 8 row head. It looks like the 1020 head will make a nice platform. 12.5k no heads.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The elevator can handle at least 1500-1700 bu/hr so if you don't mind going slow, then go for it. It may need a new hydraulic pump if it doesn't want to pick it up. One off a 1680 will give it a nice boost. Adjust the injector pump and put fluid in the rear tires and it should work well assuming you have 4wd. Unloading auger may be a little short for unloading on the go if you are on 38 inch rows

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, and by all means, purchase some stakes so you can see if the 1660 is indeed moving with an 8-row CH. Better think 6-row.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, but the price is right. I think 12.5k is cheap and it gets me out of a Massey. I'd love to go 6 row, but can't afford the planter. On U-tube they are really smoking along with one. I always wanted to farm and it never seems to gel. I mean I have an 8 row 30" planter. I'd love to have a 12row. Maybe I sould wait and buy an 1680. Which is set-up for 8 row head better?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know of a 1460 that ran an eight row head for at least 6 years. 1660 has a bigger elevator and will handle it better than a 1460 just get a weight braket to hold the back end down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm guessing for 12,5 its going to need a lot of work. I bought a 1680 last year for 10 and had to stick 20,000 and a ton of our labor in it. At least I know what I have. My 1460 with a 6 row head in irrigated is crawling, 8 row on a 1460, wow

Craig

·
Registered
134 Posts
What kind of yields will you be expecting? Some of us only get 150- 170 bu corn and you would probably get by with an 8 row. I have a neighbor that plant 8 rows and thrashes 6. Just depends on your planting ability. We plant 12 and thrash 8 and sometimes you just have to slow down and let the leaning rows pull in. Really no big deal. You will probably want a hopper topper with the 8 row. http://www.maurermfg.com/extensions.html

·
Registered
914 Posts
I know on our 1460 you needed the 3rd lift cylinder on the feederhouse to lift a 8 row. Doesn't matter if you have a 6 or 8 on there it all pretty much comes down to bph-your going to be going slower with the 8. Btw I have a 1083 I want to move I run a 2212 now.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Would you say to drive stakes if he was talking about putting an 8 row head on a 7720 TII or a 9500? Because they are basically the same size machine.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Does it matter if he goes slower with the 8 row if he gets the same acres an hour and gets the job done. Cost of a 6 or 8 is pretty much the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts