The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 06 9660 with 594 sep hrs. I have talked to the owner and their head hand both say the combine was a good machine. The machine was bought new at the dealership where it is now. They have sent me 20 or so pictures and it looks in excellent condition. The only down fall is that it is a 1000 miles away and I am thinking of buying it sight unseen??????????? Any advise or am I an idiot for buy a combine sight unseen.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you have ever done business with this dealer, and you trust them, GO FOR IT! If not, ask for a grace period of some sort. Something that says if you don't like it, or it has been misrepresented, than you get your money back. You would probably be out the freight to get the machine to you.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You are so busy and have so much money you can spend $150,000 on a combine without going to look at it? Round trip freight alone is worth $5,000 to $8,000.

You must be one of those guys Dad talked about that had a wheat/oil rotation.

I never buy anything sight unseen unless I can afford the loss and the time to look at it is worth more than 1/2 the price of the object.

If you do buy the machine, make sure it has the options you need for your area. I have seen things like wheat machines with no dual speed cylinder drive (walker) trying to pick corn, as well as trying to cut wheat with deep tooth seives.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Personally I would not like to buy a combine sight unseen. My brother got cooked a few years ago buying an old chore tractor sight unseen. It looked really good in pictures as well, but they cannot show everything such as oil leaks, small bumps and bruises and coolant in the sump which is what we had to deal with!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Get the dealership you're buying it from to pull all the service records for you and have them faxed to your dealership, and have your service manager look at it for you. He can tell you alot from them and tell you roughly how bad it is.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
There could easily be $5000 worth of damage to the machine without knowing it, broken beater grates, rasp bars, feederchains, drums, tire wear, and cosmetic blemishes. I would take the time to look at it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
it's all a matter of trust and how honest the dealer is,have bought 2 combines sight unseen from the same dealer and will be going back for a third when it's time.i am very pleased with there honesty and they never misrepresented a thing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I put 1600 miles on my truck to look at the 9600 I bought, I think it's worth going to look at a 150k one. But if you have them inspect it then it may be fine. After all when they inspect it they are looking to sell parts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts