The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grow a three crop rotation of canola, peas and wheat not necessarily in that order. Canola on my rented land is costing me too much to grow,with its huge input costs, my bottom dollar is pretty much a break even point, with these 8 dollar prices. What have other growers used for a third crop to replace canola in a rotation. Any ideas would be great, thanks

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I hear you. Most people try flax as long as you can get similar yields(in other words you cant grow that good of canola) The other thing I was reading about is big demand for non gmo canola. Keep your seed and better straw than flax but not too sure of weed sprays.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple issues I have with canola is that some of my land is rented on crop share and it's a family deal so there's no really getting out of it, so I put in these huge input costs and only get part of the crop off the land. The other issue is I am quite concerned with these high costs of seeding. If we have a crop failure I am out a lot of money. My biggest money maker is my peas. Very little fertilizer and been avg 45 bus crops and not paying 600 bucks for 10 acres of seed

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Are soybeans not a legume? I'm thinking not that agronomally smart to seed soybeans before or after peas? Maybe I'm wrong??
Hello Jermyster
Yes they are. I wasn't telling you what to do, just making a statement that I too can't make $ on canola. It simply can not take excess rains in June when plants are small & 3 b/a yields just doesn't cut it with it's high input costs. Soybeans & flax are my oilseed crops that I rotate with cereals. They both perform 100 X better here.:)

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Couple issues I have with canola is that some of my land is rented on crop share and it's a family deal so there's no really getting out of it, so I put in these huge input costs and only get part of the crop off the land. The other issue is I am quite concerned with these high costs of seeding. If we have a crop failure I am out a lot of money. My biggest money maker is my peas. Very little fertilizer and been avg 45 bus crops and not paying 600 bucks for 10 acres of seed
Well, maybe you can't get out of it....But could you sit down over a pot of coffee and the last 3 years' numbers and talk it over? Just a question.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
We look at our Canola acres every year because of its high input costs. Like jermyster we are in an area where 35 bu/ac is considered to be an excellent canola crop. In our area soybeans are proving to be a crop that has yet gotten to be short seasoned enough, yields of 12 bu/ac or swathing/baling don't make a lot of money. Peas/lentils can make good money but can only put so many acres into pulses. Mustard could be an option for you, not as high inputs but also not as good of a yield as canola. Flax would probably be your other option but it is usually a long season crop so be prepared to be combining much later than you are used to.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Canola's still king on this farm. Went through some years of great yields and $14 per bushel. I'd have to do some digging but there was a university study that showed Wheat/Canola as the most profitable rotation. DUH. The most sustainable obviously another question but we sure had a great ride the last few years.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I grow a three crop rotation of canola, peas and wheat not necessarily in that order. Canola on my rented land is costing me too much to grow,with its huge input costs, my bottom dollar is pretty much a break even point, with these 8 dollar prices. What have other growers used for a third crop to replace canola in a rotation. Any ideas would be great, thanks
Don't sell any at $8.
$10 was available last week in Grassy Lake for 1 day.

I hear your frustration though. Input costs need to come down. Retailer was talking to me about L140P Invigor seed last week. I told retailer that Bayer can go f*** themselves due to the price increase is seed, I'm not interested in paying more as I can swath for that. Enough is enough.

I think the new norm is here at breakeven prices. Keeping our costs low going forward is the only way we will survive.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Canola's still king on this farm. Went through some years of great yields and $14 per bushel. I'd have to do some digging but there was a university study that showed Wheat/Canola as the most profitable rotation. DUH. The most sustainable obviously another question but we sure had a great ride the last few years.
What other crops do you grow?

Flax yielded almost as well as canola this year. don't need a very sharp pencil to calculate a much higher net over canola given half the input cost and a 40% higher sale price.

Or high yield faba beans - bit of phos, 15 bucks in odyssey, and 75 bushels at six bucks.

Or green peas, or malt, or yellow peas or......

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I'd be broke if we grew peas through these wet years on our ground in fact had 700 acres a couple years ago average 7 while we made great on canola. Green peas again good luck keeping grade. Faba's what's that. Only been a few quarter's around and the first time I've seen it on a seed grower's quarter I use. That might be he only bright light here as they did seem to handle the moderate wet.
Malt also sucked the last few years. Wheat's no crown jewel this year unless you've got bins of high protein durum that was locked up in bins.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I kinda phased out of canola about 4 years ago, and replaced those acres with flax, mustard, lentils, chick peas. With mustard you should really give it a 4 year gap to seed after canola. 2015 I'm probably looking like 45% pulses 35% cereals 20% yellow mustard.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I.m with the Mustard, imin a dryer area and Canola is to much risk. For Mustard its 15 bucks acre for seed and another 15 for Edge. Contracts are out know for .33 cents a pound

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know lots of guys in this area doing mustard. Believe it or not we had a dry spring and some of these guys fields barely got there seed back. Canola can sit in the dust and wait for moisture to grow, mustard seeds all died sitting there. The seed was hollow. So ya contemplating mustard but flax, what does everybody do with the straw? Send it out the chopper? Or bale it? Canola I agree makes money, at 10 bucks but honestly like I said before the spring costs to get it in the ground are so crazy. With 80 dollar oil and piles of soybeans chancing of seeing 14 dollars are long gone. I think if we see 11 bucks this year dump everything.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Can u spray mustard? I don't wanna work edge in, I dont even own a decent cultivator anymore
If you direct seed u don't have to incorporate edge. Valmar on and heavy harrow will work fine

Btw. U need to talk to your family. I was in the same boat and was going broke. When I showed them the numbers they came around. unless they are willing to pay a share of the cash inputs. Crop sharing is only good for the land lord

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.