The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You won't believe the difference...simply astonished!

The non HP feederhouse must block noise without having the opening in top.

Tie the front drum up with a ratchet strap. Remove drum lower stop bolt and remove block on both sides. Take a strip of belting and wrap it around block. I predrilled the holes in the block for some screws, two on the angled side and one on the flat side not used. Reinstall and observe engine load, because you won't have the noise to warn you when you are crowding it.

This strip will raise the factory height of the drum.I am now on the lower setting for soybeans, which appears to be about between the two factory preset heights.

Unless I am fooling myself, it is soooo much better. Someone else please do this and report back your findings if you feel your feeder rattles.

Also take the time to torque loose slats on the feeder chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
You won't believe the difference...simply astonished!

The non HP feederhouse must block noise without having the opening in top.

Tie the front drum up with a ratchet strap. Remove drum lower stop bolt and remove block on both sides. Take a strip of belting and wrap it around block. I predrilled the holes in the block for some screws, two on the angled side and one on the flat side not used. Reinstall and observe engine load, because you won't have the noise to warn you when you are crowding it.

This strip will raise the factory height of the drum.I am now on the lower setting for soybeans, which appears to be about between the two factory preset heights.

Unless I am fooling myself, it is soooo much better. Someone else please do this and report back your findings if you feel your feeder rattles.

Also take the time to torque loose slats on the feeder chain.
Can't wait to try it next year.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Not to be a wet blanket here but when the noise increases as feeder fills deeper and drum support arms are nowhere near stops I'm having trouble visualizing how this would help.:confused:

I would obviously like it to.:)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to be a wet blanket here but when the noise increases as feeder fills deeper and drum support arms are nowhere near stops I'm having trouble visualizing how this would help.:confused:

I would obviously like it to.:)
These are the lower stops. As you load the machine, you get a rattle...just as the 5 page post talks about. As the chain slats bite in to the crop, each slat raises the heavy drum and chain....many times a second...and drops it back down on these side stops. The rubber made a huge difference.

I have h.p.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
As I was adjusting the feeder chain yesterday I was wondering if anyone adjusts the height of the block or lowers it to decrease the thickness of the slugs going to the aps? Is that block Seedcleaner solid steel or hollow?

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
It looks like the block is designed to be rotated to use any one of three sides to adjust the travel. Or is there a reason it only works in one orientation? I would be looking for a way to lower the upper limit of the drum for a trial on noise reduction.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
A good start!

As you can see, mine are a bit different, A two piece welded assembly.

It is somewhat quieter although straw conditions this aft didn't allow a feeder depth over 120.
I think doubling the material thickness may help even more.

Interestingly, the zero material Cruise Pilot feeder depth that used to be 0, is now 2.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad it made a difference, even if not a great difference, it helps and is super cheap to do. I think my belting is getting worn, judging by the way it looks, and sounds now.

I knew the blocks had been changed. It is a bit better design and with the roll pin, it is easier to adjust and be sure what position the drum is.

The front drum is the indicator for feeder depth? I thought it was something mounted in the mid section of the feeder.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Glad it made a difference, even if not a great difference, it helps and is super cheap to do. I think my belting is getting worn, judging by the way it looks, and sounds now.

I knew the blocks had been changed. It is a bit better design and with the roll pin, it is easier to adjust and be sure what position the drum is.

The front drum is the indicator for feeder depth? I thought it was something mounted in the mid section of the feeder.
It was a pretty good difference and helps considerably, the noise isn't gone but probably cut by 2/3's.

You are correct, the roller for Cruise Pilot measuring purpose, and a big part of the reason Claas has the only auto feed system that actually works, is separately mid mounted,
but that thin strip of rubber you see raised the feeder chain enough to raise the empty reading from 0 to 2 on the 0 to 150 scale. Interesting I thought.:)

That is an extremely hostile environment there, I also wonder about the longevity of any modification.:confused:

I wish now that I would have tried simply putting the feeder drum into corn position to see what would happen, I'm pretty sure it would have fed canola, the crop I'm in now, fine.

Thanks for the great lead and push SC you are on to something and maybe we can solve what has been, to some anyway, a very annoying trait of a Claas feeder house, it makes up, at times, 2/3's of the noise in the cab and 100% of the annoying noise.:(

Has anyone ever tried running corn front drum position in small grain or canola? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Maybe you have to talk to the guys at Harvest Services and see if you could get some complete blocks made out of the same material they use for their feeder chain sprockets.
There's an idea.

Trouble is, I don't know where or why the noise reduction is occurring, is it simply raising the chain off the floor a bit?:confused:

Think I will take the belt off, as the bolt would be in the way now, and try corn position out of sheer curiosity.
Who knows?:confused:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.