The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our heavy clay soil is extremely wet. if a person bands nitrogen into wet soil is there a lot of risk of denitrification or fertilizer loss? I thought this may be a way to work or open up the ground but have no experience whether a lot of fertilizer would be lost by early summer when the crop needs it. If a person is going to band urea how deep would you try to get it in? Thanks SouthernSK

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
I'm assuming you may have a fair bit of standing water for a few days in the spring, you may experience a fair bit of losses. This is an interesting article on the topic.

Fall-applied Nitrogen: Risks and Benefits

I can't get this to a direct link with my phone this morning, just got to like modern technology.
I fix!
Don't know why your link wouldn't work, they looked identical.:confused:

Thanks for it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If you can wait until it cools off bit, putting down dry 46 should be fine. Use a 4" spoon and then you can dry up your soil too. A light harrow after to seal in it and make a nice seed bed is also recommended. We're doing some NH3 just because we don't have the ability to do dry in the fall, just a light harrow after. Putting down 70 lbs where seeding wheat, will put 20 dry down with seed.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I fix!
Don't know why your link wouldn't work, they looked identical.:confused:

Thanks for it.
Thanks Don, I'm not sure, was using my iPhone, copy and paste. Tried redoing it a couple times, gave up because I had to hit the road for a while. I pasted the link into a new browser and it worked so it really confused me. I have always used my home computer when doing a link before.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I think the loss is a lot lower than most think. We banded a new chuck of land last fall that I didn't realize more than half is completely covered in water for quite a while during the spring melt. Was pretty grossed out thinking well that N is gone. There was no line in the crop where the water line was and it lodged exactly the same as the rest.

Those were 3" deep or better bands of NH3.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We have a heavy clay/loam soil and band nh3 in the fall. Don't worry about wet spots at all. Have never noticed any yield drag area. (Except for areas that flood after seeding, but that's an excess water issue.)

Also have some areas that are flooded every spring after snow melt but are dry by seeding time and don't notice anything there either.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I wish we had access to anhydrous in our area. When using urea would you put any agrotain or amonium sulfate with it to help with the loss? I was wondering if the acid nature of the amonium sulfate would be benificial to the nitrogen band.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fjlip what type of opener do you use for banding urea? Are you using a twisted knife, spoon, or just the drill you use in the spring? If a person uses there drill would the packing be a negative for the soil in the fall?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.