The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where to put this so here it is. My wife works for the local Soil Conservation District and is shopping for a new pickup. The State has several mid to late '80's GMs available cheap. Some are gas and some are diesel around 50k miles. She was asking for opinions on the diesel vs. gas. Since that age is kinda before my time, I thought I'd ask some of you more experienced folks.
The pickup will mostly be used for hauling their tree planting crew and equipment around. Gooseneck trailer, small tractor, etc. generally less than 50 mi. trips.

Thanks for any input.

Ben

·
Registered
79 Posts
easy to work on can get all the power you want from banks or heath diesel or a slew of other companies, from my knowledge the 6.2 was basically a pre-turbo 6.5. The only issue with them I know of is they can be hard on water pumps.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
have run a cppl myself.....very bullit proof rig..not big on power, but i'd keep my $ in my pocket and run it stock......rig hands r still useing them around here bouncing out to drillinging rigs. they will pretty much outlast the chev body

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My main farm pickup is an 84 K20 with a 6.2 and a granny 4 speed, like others have stated it doesn't have a lot of power but it gets incredible fuel mileage and is very reliable. I wouldn't turbo it though as you start to push the power on the 6.2 they start to crack blocks, you can buy a girdle for this to help with the cracking but it just depends on what you want to spend on the truck. Overall I love mine and wouldn't trade it for a gasser for what I use it for.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Reliable and efficient, not much power, but a good ol engine. make sure your harmonic damper is in decent shape. If it goes, you may snap a crank.

If you have any other questions, and if you buy it and have issues, Go to www.thetruckstop.us for help. It is possibly the biggest and definitely the best 6.2/6.5L resource on the web.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
nt

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great mileage but I only got up to 45 MPH with ours on the interstate pulling 500 gallons of Roundup. Absolutely gutless. uses oil too. have to carry oil with us and add sometimes before we leave town. great mileage.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Try to get a 599 block, those were the last ones made, and they're beefed up so you can bore it out to a 6.5 if you wanted to.

Great motor, has it's weak spots (power), but it was an engine made for fuel economy, as an alternative to a 350 gasser. Comparing it to a 7.3L Ford/Navistar or 5.9 Cummins is like comparing apples to oranges, so watch for anyone you talk to who goes banging on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts