The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think this is the political way SCIC is going to fix the guys that are twisting the rules. SCIC also runs AgStab and if you don’t think they can look at spread sheets and pick out patterns your dreaming. When some of the better farms are 1.5-2 times area average and if they farm larger acreage they sure are helping bring area averages higher and lower claim percentages and will benefit the most from what I can see. I’ve seen enough guys claim in the last 5 years and we haven’t had any.

·
Registered
911 Posts
In AB there was big increase in premiums for 2022(over 50pc), but most of this was due to increased coverage from higher insurable crop prices. Any individual premium increase(surcharge) resulting from big claim in 2021 will actually be felt this yr. Think the avg afsc premium(based on their somewhat arbitrary crop mix selection of wheat, peas, canola, barley) is close to $35/acre. Be interesting to know what that would be for similar crop mix area in SK.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Guys who have had terrible luck will get penalized. Guys with good luck will benefit. Whether you like it or not, it comes down to luck. What is the definition of, “better farm”? Everyone left farming nowadays are generally top producers.

A freak hail storm, windstorm, pocket of frost, deluge of rain, freak heavy snowfall, missed half inch shower, are beyond any farmers control.

If one has farmed long enough, one will have experienced some of these freaks of nature. Being penalized because it happened to hit your farm, and not farms three miles down the road is unfair, and goes against the whole point of crop insurance, because whether you like it or not, bad fortune generally will hit all of us at some point. The worry I have, is if you get hit multiple times in a decade by various freak act of god issues beyond your control, why should you get penalized?

Why should guys with incredible luck and fortune with weather get all the breaks?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Sounds like we’re going to individualize each crop so if we have a claim on wheat it won’t effect the premiums on canola in future years. Also compare losses in your risk area, if your losses are more than area average expect premiums to go up in future years. Sounds pretty straight forward, will agree bad luck could enter into the equation.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yeah my response was more towards the statement that the “better farms” should get a break, which is based on pure dumb luck. It’s not like a “good farm“ can’t get wiped out by multiple disasters in a few short years. So then I guess that farm gets put in the class of a less than “better” farm if they hit smashed by insane weather?

Twas about the wording more than anything. Scic already penalized you if you have multiple weather troubles. Through lower experience discounts and lower yield coverage.

·
Registered
862 Posts
In AB there was big increase in premiums for 2022(over 50pc), but most of this was due to increased coverage from higher insurable crop prices. Any individual premium increase(surcharge) resulting from big claim in 2021 will actually be felt this yr. Think the avg afsc premium(based on their somewhat arbitrary crop mix selection of wheat, peas, canola, barley) is close to $35/acre. Be interesting to know what that would be for similar crop mix area in SK.
Remember in 2021 AFSC reduced premiums across the board by 20% as their kitty was getting big enough. That disappeared in 2022 with the huge payment due to the drought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another example of a govt organization worried about the little things when they have glaring issues they choose to ignore. Penalize the little guy with freak weather events when the guys with south, central and north farms are allowed to have different and multiple policies for each one and hey canola snow rotation doesn’t matter either. Neither does failing to spray or fertilize properly.

Best thing SCIC can do is increase coverage rates and make premiums reasonable even if it costs the province double it does now. 99% of the money paid out to local farmers is going back into the local economy wether it is to retain employees, buy inputs and parts, support local insurance companies or put their kids in hockey. I don’t think too many shareholders of the south, central, and north farms spend much of their money here 🤨

1 - 20 of 27 Posts