The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m new to this forum. Have only been watching as a guest. I’m having a hard time combining corn this year (up to 50% moisture) cause the thresher door keeps opening.
In the past I can run 3.5-4mph with an old black 830 corn head on my 1996 R62. This year I’m lucky to get up to 2.5mph and the wetter the corn the more the door trips. More stock then usual going into combine! I’ve been playing with concave settings from 6-10 finding around 7 works best and rotor speeds from 280-380 trying to keep it low to prevent more crop fines. I do have the concave wedged so that cob and one row of kernels on entering concave and empty cob at back as I was told years ago that it was the best way to not break up cobs in corn (never wedge the concave in any other crop is what I was told) and it has worked great for me other years. I did some updates last year like steep pitched helical bar over concave cylinder bars extended into discharges and triangle over corner of feeder chain.
Where am I going wrong? How can I stop the thresher door from tripping? I’ve read that higher rotor speed should help and I think it may but it also does more damage to corn and more fines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does but not finding much for that wet of corn. Thanks though

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello I’m new to this forum. Have only been watching as a guest. I’m having a hard time combining corn this year (up to 50% moisture) cause the thresher door keeps opening.
In the past I can run 3.5-4mph with an old black 830 corn head on my 1996 R62. This year I’m lucky to get up to 2.5mph and the wetter the corn the more the door trips. More stock then usual going into combine! I’ve been playing with concave settings from 6-10 finding around 7 works best and rotor speeds from 280-380 trying to keep it low to prevent more crop fines. I do have the concave wedged so that cob and one row of kernels on entering concave and empty cob at back as I was told years ago that it was the best way to not break up cobs in corn (never wedge the concave in any other crop is what I was told) and it has worked great for me other years. I did some updates last year like steep pitched helical bar over concave cylinder bars extended into discharges and triangle over corner of feeder chain.
Where am I going wrong? How can I stop the thresher door from tripping? I’ve read that higher rotor speed should help and I think it may but it also does more damage to corn and more fines.
Are the leading edges on the bars on the rotor in good shape ? If worn they could be pounding material against the door rather than grabbing material and taking it back over the concave. You won't find any help in the manual for doing corn that wet... probably need to adjust the latching mechanism on the door too, I bought a machine that was set up so tight that I couldn't even open it with the tool supplied

·
Registered
383 Posts
On the R72 I had I ran the springs so tight on the latch if it did open the door I had to loosen them a lot to get it to latch back. Had trouble with door opening in soybeans. Do you have a hump kit on the door? If the piece bolted to the frame that the door actually latches to is out of adjustment the door when latched will be "lose" and you can make the door rattle with the tool to latch it with. If door rattles and doesn't latch up tight it will kick open easily. You adjust the piece that door latches on from the engine side through the rotor door. Under the concave you will see 4 I believe half inch threaded rods with jam nuts. You loosen jam nuts and with the trap door in closed and latched position tighten up on the threaded rods till the "snug" up. This takes the slack out of the latching system and will keep door from being loose and rattling. If this is not snugged up good the door is much easier to kick open and I ran my springs on the latch tight enough it was nearly impossible to open. Other suggestions on here about cylinder bars not being aggressive enough could be issue as well if they are worn. The hump kit on door is a good thing to have as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will need to look at the leading edge of the bars cause I believe the rotor is doing exactly that. I have tightened the latch spring to 2.5” from 2.7” and have been tempted to tighten more or even block the door closed as all I have left is 35 acres of well standing corn which is currently collecting snow. Thanks for the pointers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone for the suggestion.
I do have the hump kit on door and did reset door latch last year as mentioned however I may not have set tight enough and will check. I think I will tighten the springs on the latch door when I get back to the combine as it’s sitting 40 minutes from home at my last field for the season. But first the snow needs to melt off the corn or turn bitter cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The leading edge of the latch is worn out. Hard to explain but with the rock trap open look up from the inside and look where the door latches or seals to the concave, it is the piece with the threaded rods from inside the processor. Anyway to get you threw harvest weld an edge to that latch, then with the door closed tighten up that latch with the threaded rods until you know it is tight. It really don't do much good to tighten the springs anymore than you have them other than frustrate the heck out of you when you try to close the door again. Before next year order a new latch.
Other thing you could try is to remove the hump on the door.
Also 50% moisture you need to realize things are not going to work the way intended

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remove the hump? I thought that would make it worse. The leading of the latch makes sense to me and I will need to check. And yes I am well aware that things aren’t normal with this moisture that’s why I’m looking for pointers I’ve never combined anything over 35% in the past. I am still thinking maybe I should leave it till March but that’s not completely my call

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remove the hump? I thought that would make it worse. The leading of the latch makes sense to me and I will need to check. And yes I am well aware that things aren’t normal with this moisture that’s why I’m looking for pointers I’ve never combined anything over 35% in the past. I am still thinking maybe I should leave it till March but that’s not completely my call
The hump in the door is supposed to feed better but it also makes the door more sensitive thus allowing the door to pop open easier.
The newer S series they went away from the hump and went to a sump, not completely in agreeing with this but I was told by my dealer that they are removing humps from the R series. Agco can never make up their mind on what is best. I still think though that your latch, maybe both sides are worn.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Lewis, when you say "wedge the concave", are you talking about moving the lower or front concave grate from MIN to MAX or vice versa? Sorry if it's an ignorant question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions. It gives me a few things to possibly try.
When I said wedge the concave I believe I went from MIN to MAX (I lowered the front) so that when crop enters the concave it has approximately 3/8” more space then when it leaves instead of the usual even space the whole way. I’m not saying it is the right think to do but I was told to try that by the mechanic at our local Agco dealership when I was getting to many broken cobs and it did appear to help (more hole cobs coming out the back), at least that year and I’ve done it since.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok, that's what I thought. I'm not a corn grower and have never thrashed corn with my machine. About the only time I move the front grate is in dry beans, moving it towards MAX to get a little gentler threshing.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to finish my corn combining for the year with -10 Celsius temps. Thresher door never tripped once. (I did tighten the latch springs a few days ago to 2.25” but question if I needed too) The frozen corn combined so much nicer than the 45+% corn it even flowed out of the bin without much trouble and ground speed was up a bit as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts