The Combine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finished a 1/4 of oats and pulled into a 1/4 of canola and went to change concave clearance and discovered it was at 45 (right to the bottom of clearance) and would not tighten. Found the two LITTLE shear pins that hold the plates together for moving the concaves were sheared and having a heck of a time getting it back together. Give me your opinions on A: how much less of a threshing job or losses would I have encountered with this setting and B: is this not a flimsy setup by Deere which also gives no warning unless your checking your clearance consistently (I am aware that the shear pins breaking causes me less headaches in the grand scheme of things)

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
We have had the same problem but it does tell you on screen when the concave opens up so thats your indication. If you have an older 70 series get the updated motor with metal components, the motors have been known to break off. To get it back in place you can either have one person in the cab turning the dial to open the concave and the other pushing bolts or if that doesn't work just use a bar under the concave and just have one person lift them in place which is actually pretty easy with a 5-6ft bar.

Losses encountered? I try not to think about it, in RSW it would be real bad. But in Canola it would be minimal, oats some where inbetween. Like I said I try not to worry about it cause its one of the screw ups you just can't take back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts