The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am from central Alberta wondering about tile draining.
Would it work to drain small potholes low spots that fill in the spring?

Because environment has gotten so sticky my plan was just to drain them to a few largest sloughs on the corner of the field.

Does anybody know any reputable custom tile outfit that would service my area?
And would my plan work?

my concerns are would the frost come out early enough so that they would be drain and dry by early May to seed?
My outlets would have to be in another slough on the corner of my field not a ditch with that work?

It would be too hard to use a scraper too much dirt to move too many large cuts

thanks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I don’t know lots about it, but waiting for some quotes.
I think your ideas will work, they can only plow so deep, than they need to make cuts with trackhoe first. From what I can see, the cost is about $1-1200/Ac

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don’t know what it’s like in AB, but around here it’s tough to get the tile guys out to do pothole jobs if they have bigger acreage jobs lined up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that’s what I’m worried about.
Out here in Alberta we don’t typically have the high water table so no need to do whole fields but just run a line through your string of potholes. I can’t find anybody out here in Alberta online... not worth spending big money to do it. But if it works lots of guys out here would do it would only be a couple day jobs but a lot of them

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it's just for a few potholes you could maybe think about getting a guy in with a trencher to run those few lines. I want to do the same thing as you and was actually thinking of doing that instead of getting a tiling company in for such a small job.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
A tiling company isn't going to drain sloughs for you unless you have permits in place, don't even try.

Probably should have a clear outlet too, or it will likely fill with sediment and not last.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that’s what I’m worried about.
Out here in Alberta we don’t typically have the high water table so no need to do whole fields but just run a line through your string of potholes. I can’t find anybody out here in Alberta online... not worth spending big money to do it. But if it works lots of guys out
If it's just for a few potholes you could maybe think about getting a guy in with a trencher to run those few lines. I want to do the same thing as you and was actually thinking of doing that instead of getting a tiling company in for such a small job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can get a permit here but with all things govt..... I talked to one guy trenched between two sloughs and didn’t even put tile in and it drained for twenty years. Said he should have put tile in. Any trenchers that could gps to get the right slope??

·
Registered
726 Posts
My Father did this on very limited basis(one pothole) in the early 80's in Central AB. The cost for this 1 acre pothole was astronomical - thinking close to $10000. Having said that you can tell as soon as frost comes out as that pothole drains within 48hrs and has been maintenance free - the sump that was filled with crushed rock was filled in long ago and just work over it. It drains into big slough on same quarter so there were no permits/doubt there would be any today. It a great idea, but sure does not seem to be many doing it. I got a quote on a more typical drainage for a whole qtr a few years ago and it was in the 160-200K area and this would maybe give you 10acres/yr of increased production and maybe better production on rest of quarter. I passed and even forget outfit that gave quote, but think they were out of SK.

If a person had significant amount to do the cost of the equipment not to unreasonable compared to some other stuff - it just one more job. Most difficult thing in our part of Central AB is dealing with pipelines. These become quite problematic/expensive to deal with.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm not sure how it is in Canada but down here before you can run any tile the area you are draining has to be inspected for wetlands. Can't have a duck getting thirsty.

We've put some in around bin sites and the main yard where we used to get seasonal ponding. Hardly holds water now. Just put it in with a small excavator since they were short runs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts