The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two dry growing seasons behind us it’s probably not a priority in some mind but I’ve been looking into tile drainage on my farm. I know it’s not something that happens overnight and needs major planning and involves a big investment. Has anyone done any and what do they think they saw in benefits as far as crop yield and more timeless in getting in the land. I farm very flat land and have reasonable surface drainage but constantly see the ridges out yield the lower spots even in the dryer years. In wet years it can be very depressing waiting for fields to dry enough to get to. A few questions. What happens with the surface drainage already in place. Should the tile lines run across these. How deep to be safe from crushing by equipment. How close are people putting their tile lines for which soil type. When is a sock needed over the tile.any other advice very welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tile is an excellent investment. I would recommend talking to Jason at Precision Land Solutions in Winkler. Very knowledgeable.

What I wouldn't recommend is doing it yourself unless you have weeks of open fall with 4 guys that have nothing to do.

Signed,
A pull type tile plow owner ?

·
Registered
385 Posts
We are big believers of tile drainage on our farm.
We have seen huge improvements in high salt, high water table areas. Most extreme examples are areas that would perennially produce zero, now are as productive as the rest of the farm.
Surface drainage is not a problem, it just helps compliment the tile. Every field plan is different, but the plow will maintain pipe grade whether going with or across drains.
In Manitoba I think socks are always recommended, and for the most part are used.
Everything we have done is on 50' centres, the neighbours have tried patches of 25' in the problem areas, where the rest of the field is 50'.
I can't remember the shallowest depth they can safely lay pipe.
The majority of our tile is on clay loam, and it responds very well.
We are very fortunate to have several good contractors in MB. As Orsy said PLS are good. Boruss and NextGen are also great options.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sock is for silty soils, which most of manitoba falls under. Its $0.08/ft on 4 in tile. Cheap insurance against silting in.

Minimum recommended depth is 28in. That leaves 2ft on top of the pipe. I aim for 30-32 if I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts